Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Close encounter of the 'XXXXX' kind

Night Walker

"They were walking through the bush at night time by torch light and they were heading down towards the creek and they got a really strange strong smell and they both commented and said, 'yuk, isn't' that a horrible smell. What a disgusting smell'.

"They went a little bit further and heard a crunching noise through the bush ahead of them, and then they saw it, with two big red eyes staring back at them.

(read below before reading the entire story) - http://www.abc.net.a...m?site=sunshine

Q If this happened to you what would you make of it? What large creature was watching from bush that night? If you were unsure what would you do to find out more?

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text

So they were out taking nighttime photographs and yet didn't manage to take a photograph? Without that or any other evidence that the incident even happened, unfortunately, it's just another "cool story bro" as far as I'm concerned.

As for what I would do, I'd want to find out what it was. What animals have red eye shine - there are a lot of them. What animals approximate the height - although it's kind of unclear from the story if they actually saw anything but eyes. In that case, it could have easily just been a large bird (owl perhaps). According to my quick research, they were in the range of the Greater Sooty Owl which can be almost 2ft tall - it's a big bird with red eye shine by the way.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 5

So they were out taking nighttime photographs and yet didn't manage to take a photograph?

That is a super good question that should pop doubts into everyone's minds immediately.

• Like 5

I think if there is a yowie such as is described, then it is simply a human with some kind of genetic defect. Perhaps a native Australian genetic issue. They were there for a LONG time as a closed population, if I remember right.

Let's examine the initial experience:

- dark conditions and low light

- "really strange strong smell" "a horrible smell" "What a disgusting smell"

- "heard a crunching noise through the bush ahead of them"

- "they saw it, with two big red eyes staring back at them" "Not too close, just a little bit away from them"

- "Whatever it was, they said it was quite tall"

- "it kept going and then every now and then it would turn around and look back at them"

- "They shone their torches on it and they couldn't really make out what it was, but all they could clearly see were these red eyes" (source of light unknown)

Note that all they saw was the red eyeshine from a source described as "quite tall" - no mention whatsoever of seeing any body shape...

This sighting happened in the Sunshine Coast hinterland which is prime territory for three different species of feral deer - red deer (Cervus elaphus), chital deer (Cervus timorensis), and fallow deer (Dama dama).

Can anyone tell me why it couldn't be a red deer (which are currently in rutting season)?

ps The Sunshine coast is right on my doorstep so I'll try to rustle up some additional information...

• Like 1

Let's examine the initial experience:

- dark conditions and low light

- "really strange strong smell" "a horrible smell" "What a disgusting smell"

- "heard a crunching noise through the bush ahead of them"

- "they saw it, with two big red eyes staring back at them" "Not too close, just a little bit away from them"

- "Whatever it was, they said it was quite tall"

- "it kept going and then every now and then it would turn around and look back at them"

- "They shone their torches on it and they couldn't really make out what it was, but all they could clearly see were these red eyes" (source of light unknown)

Note that all they saw was the red eyeshine from a source described as "quite tall" - no mention whatsoever of seeing any body shape...

This sighting happened in the Sunshine Coast hinterland which is prime territory for three different species of feral deer - red deer (Cervus elaphus), chital deer (Cervus timorensis), and fallow deer (Dama dama).

Can anyone tell me why it couldn't be a red deer (which are currently in rutting season)?

ps The Sunshine coast is right on my doorstep so I'll try to rustle up some additional information...

Sure, it absolutely could be. It could also have also been a scavenger eating whatever had died and was "smelling horribly".

Lots of possibilities to consider before jumping to the Yowie explanation.

I admit that I really don't like these kinds of stories with no pictures or evidence other than the person's word. I don't want to say that every single person that says a story without pictures/videos/etc is a filthy liar, but when we have just words there's nothing more we can do than just say, "Interesting story. Got anything else for us?"

If this happened to you what would you make of it? What large creature was watching from bush that night? If you were unsure what would you do to find out more?

If this happened to me, I'd sit down later when I was in my home and think to myself about what happened and try to come to some rational explanation instead of jumping to more "extreme" conclusions. I personally think it was maybe just a regular animal that was just misidentified by the people through fear. Fear makes you see things differently. For what I would do if I was unsure, I'd just try to match up what I knew about the creature with known animals.

• Like 1

Omg, for some reason seeing the X's made me think this was a thread about 'close encounters of the XXX (naughty) kind'. I was curious what would even be included in that. Spring-heeled Jack? Haha, ok this makes a lot more sense.

-It was a 'something I heard from a friend' story so I'm not too inclined to take it seriously-

• Like 5

Definitely a drop bear. I would be thankful to be alive and would also probably buy a lottery ticket to see if my incredible luck was holding true.

Omg, for some reason seeing the X's made me think this was a thread about 'close encounters of the XXX (naughty) kind'. I was curious what would even be included in that. Spring-heeled Jack? Haha, ok this makes a lot more sense.

So glad I'm not the only one. :P

• Like 3

Q If this happened to you what would you make of it? What large creature was watching from bush that night? If you were unsure what would you do to find out more?

I did see one thing the two witnesses and the crypto expert did: They assumed all four events (smell, dog barking, red-eyed creature and bush rustling) were all related. I can see how fear (the witnesses) memory recall (excitement, making the story more interesting) belief (the crypto expert) might tie all four events together. But should we?

I think if I had such an encounter I'd hope to look at the experience objectively from the get-go.

If I was unable to follow it to a conclusion that night, I would research what known animal it could have been, as has been already mentioned. Gone back during the day to see what terrain/brush this alleged creature was moving through. Talked to more experienced people- rangers, forestry etc. I would want to know what it was, but I would not approach from the "crypto" or "unexplainable" bias.

Was it even a living creature with red eyes? Was something else entirely playing tricks on me in a frightened state?

Edited by QuiteContrary

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I Carry a Gun on me. But I've read so many where Its no pictures, Videos and just some persons word.

The thing that gets me most is You had a camera used for taking pictures at night so why are there no pictures