Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What you’d need to make to afford a 1 Bedroom

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,727 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Washington Post said:

Last month we wrote about a report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition on how much a worker would have to earn to afford what the Department of Housing and Urban Development considers "fair market rent" in local communities across the country. The government sets these housing rates, which include rent plus utilities, based on the local market for decent-quality apartments of different sizes -- neither dumps nor luxury flats. These are also the rates that HUD uses to establish local housing subsidies.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,013 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Our house has been paid off for a number of years and when I hear the going rates it blows my mind. My first apartment was $76 a month. It now goes for $800 and is only about 600 square feet. The general rule of thumb is your mortgage/rent should be equal to one weeks pay and minimum wage is nowhere near that anymore.

#3    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

where i live 1 bdrm without bills about 1200. that is regular 700-800sqf appt, with 1 bath.

anything bigger and with more than 1 bath 1500 and up.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#4    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Wouldn't this depend on what your other bills are? I moved across town in order to be closer to work. Rent on my new apartment, which was pretty much the same size as my old one, was more a month due to location. However since I was close enough to work to walk, and also close to two grocery store shopping centers, and a mall. There are also many restaurants in the immediate area. So then I got rid of my car, which more than made up for the increase in my rent.

PS as a bonus I lost 50 pounds

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,727 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostBama13, on 23 April 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Wouldn't this depend on what your other bills are? I moved across town in order to be closer to work. Rent on my new apartment, which was pretty much the same size as my old one, was more a month due to location. However since I was close enough to work to walk, and also close to two grocery store shopping centers, and a mall. There are also many restaurants in the immediate area. So then I got rid of my car, which more than made up for the increase in my rent.

PS as a bonus I lost 50 pounds

Does not help much to try to get rid of the car you don't have. The point the article is making is that in most counties you could not afford a 1 bedroom earning minimum wages.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 April 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Does not help much to try to get rid of the car you don't have. The point the article is making is that in most counties you could not afford a 1 bedroom earning minimum wages.

Minimum wage jobs are generally starter jobs. They are for HS and college students just starting their workforce experience. They are not careers. Being a cashier at McDonalds isn't a career. Managing a McDonalds is a career.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,727 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostBama13, on 23 April 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Minimum wage jobs are generally starter jobs. They are for HS and college students just starting their workforce experience. They are not careers. Being a cashier at McDonalds isn't a career. Managing a McDonalds is a career.

There are people who never manage to get past a minimum wages job (and by no fault of their own). Are they to live with Mumma forever?

about me

#8    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

I went from an apt.

View Postquestionmark, on 23 April 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

There are people who never manage to get past a minimum wages job (and by no fault of their own). Are they to live with Mumma forever?

Roommates.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#9    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

When I was making minimum wage or there abouts, I had roomates.

edit: looks like Sweetpumper beat me to it!

Edited by Razer, 23 April 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#10    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

no fault of their own?? lmao, if you 45 and can't get a job that pays more than $8 and hour, and never had such job,  you failed in life. it is your own fault.
if you are mentaly challenged, than it is different, but we got full congress of people like that,, they get more than min.

Edited by aztek, 23 April 2014 - 08:32 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,727 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

View Postaztek, on 23 April 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

no fault of their own?? lmao, if you 45 and can't get a job that pays more than $8 and hour, and never had such job,  you failed in life. it is your own fault.

ehm, yes, those people exist, like those who did not have enough oxygen during birth, like those whose mother was on drugs resulting in an IQ of 75, like those who  wasted their brain drinking and are laughing a lot on websites. (Where strangely the latter seem to get more than $8 an hour....)

And last, but not least, those who cannot sell themselves and are under-bought by every employer who sees them coming.... and lately those are a considerable part of the populace.

about me

#12    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

wasted their brain drinking, can not sell themselves,, absolutely their own fault.

birth defects, that is a bit different, but hey as an employer that runs buissnes, i can sympathize with those people, but if i hire him shrinkwrap boxes, that any kid with no experience can do, i will pay him as much as i would pay that kid. i really do not care about their life story, i can feel bad for them, but that is about it.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    sjlennon

sjlennon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

aztek, i agree that some people are able to get a good paying job but don't because they're lazy or whatever.  some people have disabilities that aren't obvious that can make it difficult for them to get a good paying job.

#14    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

View Postsjlennon, on 23 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

some people have disabilities that aren't obvious that can make it difficult for them to get a good paying job.
true, they get jobs they are able to perform, based on their mental physical limitation. and get paid as much as anyone else doing same job,  so what is wrong with that?
not to mention if they are disabled enough (it does not have to be visible) they get ssi for life. and benefit from some other social programs. and i'm not even sure it is leagl to work while getting ssi, without loosing ssi benefits

Edited by aztek, 23 April 2014 - 09:29 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#15    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,833 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

They'll eventually raise the minimum wage all across the United States, unless they want to keep the current minimum wage earners on food stamps forever. Either way, with this sorry ass pathetic excuse of a economic system we call Capitalism, it's the hammer or the nail, which affects everybody in some way.

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users