Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

this is for the Rome-America thread

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Will America have the same fate as Rome? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Will America have the same fate as Rome?

1. Yes (28 votes [49.12%])

Percentage of vote: 49.12%

2. No (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

3. Somewhat but not as harsh (14 votes [24.56%])

Percentage of vote: 24.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

• I have an answer to everything

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:25 PM

see like that you'll get a wild fire started in no time. thumbsup.gif
for the yes but not so harsh:
-we're in the modern age and it's more likely to "pass on" the power rather then end in a war
-Countries like China and Japan are having the same (or bigger) economical boom that america had back in the 50's( we can expect them to reach and surpass american economical supremacy in less the 30 years)
-America didn't came up with a new economical idea since the "e-commerce" (huge flop!)

Edited by kikuchiyo, 05 November 2004 - 07:25 PM.

Carpe Diem People!
want a mighty supa fly avatar ask for Universal "Mad skills" Absurdity
http://www.unexplain...pe=post&id=9407
Uber Foolish Funk Shaolin Monk "tonk" of the Skeptical Non Believers of Uppity Annoyance

#17    Method

Method

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Bush & Cheney 2004

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

I am the one who started the " America & Rome " thread. America will indeed infact suffer the same fact as Rome sadly to say. But it will not be near as harsh, the U.S wont just fall off of the map like Rome did, it will see a slow decrease in economical growth, diplomacy trust, and general impact on the world.

The U.S will slowly but surely drift from being one of the worlds super-powers. Anti-Americanism is growing, just as Rome collected enimemes, small countrys ( i.e Afghanistan, and Iraq ) will begin taking shots at the U.S ( Terrorist attacks ) just as Goths, VisaGoths and other tribes began to sack Rome one by one.

Sadly we are in the decline right now, you can see it everywhere. Anti-Americanism, Job Loss, Econmoical Decline. You can see it everyday. Now it wont happen in our life our the next hundred, or two hundred years but its coming.

#18    kharner92

kharner92

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Method @ Nov 6 2004, 09:03 AM)
You can see it everyday. Now it wont happen in our life our the next hundred, or two hundred years but its coming.

View Post

i could beg to differ, i would say from 50-100 years, so since im **, i would be 112 at the latest thumbsup.gif

#19    kharner92

kharner92

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:39 PM

looks like ive almost drooped to the status of a third party canidate...
GO NADER

edit-77th post is lucky, right? w00t.gif

Edited by CertifiedPublicAssasin, 06 November 2004 - 08:42 PM.

#20    slusher545

slusher545

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:49 PM

i feel that america isn't what it used 2 b but i dont think that it will end so suddenly as 100 years. the us hasn't even been around for 300 years. although job loss is high tht shouldnt mean very much as job loss was extreme during the 1930's. the us declining doesnt seem significgant enough at the moment right now to say tht within 100 years the u.s. will have faded into history. and the value of th dollar dropping may actually add to our economy as it brings our currency to be worth less, allowing for companies to keep jobs here, becuase the comparison to say the chinese currency wont be so much of a drastic differnece if our dollar is worth less.

#21    Olivier

Olivier

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:06 PM

Hello,

I think that the fall of the U.S. will happen very quickly as someone said.
Things evolve much more quickly than they did in Roman time.

Anyway, how could you compare the U.S. with Rome ?
I'm not sure there is a link. As any society in nay time, the U.S. will fall and gradually be replaced by another society. That's where the comparison stops.

Olivier

#22    Method

Method

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Bush & Cheney 2004

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:26 PM

[stereotypical remark] I can tell you are French,  disgust.gif [/stereotypical remark]

What do you mean how can you compare them, read " America and Rome History Repeats "

#23    kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

• I have an answer to everything

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:17 AM

(chef's voice) here we go again 33.33%

this is quite something, i haven't seen a race this tight.

Carpe Diem People!
want a mighty supa fly avatar ask for Universal "Mad skills" Absurdity
http://www.unexplain...pe=post&id=9407
Uber Foolish Funk Shaolin Monk "tonk" of the Skeptical Non Believers of Uppity Annoyance

#24    kharner92

kharner92

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:45 AM

right now im tied with no at 35.71-35.71, with somewhat lagging at 28.57

#25    jrktpr

jrktpr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:00 AM

Voted "somewhat, but not as harsh".   cool.gif

#26    Scoobydo

Scoobydo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:59 AM

I don’t think the USA will have a rapid decline.

It has the resources of almost a whole continent at its disposal and also has a relatively self contained economy (only 20% of its GDP is involved in international trade as opposed to say the Uk for instance which has 40% of its economy involved in international trade ).

Part of the reason however that the USA is now a superpower is that it sat out of the two world wars for as long as possible while benefiting enormously economically by selling to the Western combatants. The USA doubled its GDP from 1939 to 1945. The Uk entered the war as the world’s biggest creditor nation and ended it impoverished. Where did all the Uk’s overseas wealth go? It largely flowed into the USA and kick started the US economy out of depression. In the future the USA might well find itself in the reverse position with other countries, notably the EU nations, benefiting enormously economically by sitting back and only selling at market prices and insisting that USA owned companies around the world are either sold at bargain, knock down prices, or in the EU itself liquidated to provide funds to pay for their “help”. Much the same as the USA did to the Uk from 1939 to 1941.

How sympathetic do you think Germany and France will be to the USA in the future if the US needs help? I don’t imagine many British people are too impressed with the UK getting dragged into Iraq either. Iraq is probably the last war the USA can count on the Uk’s direct help – and the Uk is probably the USA’s closest ally.

One thing to be remembered is that the USA is now a debtor nation to the rest of the world. America has been having a “free ride” since WWII by spending more than it produces and has got away with it because so much foreign investment has brought US dollars back into the US. This trend however is reversing and other countries are no longer investing as heavily in the US. Bad news for the US in the long term.

China also holds enough reserves of US dollars to wreck the US economy by selling them all at once if they wished. Japan also has huge, but smaller than China’s, foreign currency reserves so Japan could probably negate a lot of the damage China is capable of inflicting.

What will probably happen, in my opinion, is that in the next big “world war” the USA will find it has few friends and even fewer who are willing to jump in until direct participation is forced upon them.

#27    kharner92

kharner92

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:34 PM

i think im going to move, some where, in, Leichenstein*?

#28    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:06 AM

roman empire and America current say can only be compared in an economical sense.

Even then the dynamics of 2000 years ago dont fit with the current dynamics.

Military wis ethere is no comparison , i mena the only territory that america has forcefully invaded is Iraq which will become autonimous very soon ;-) yea rite i hear you call.

lol

America is building an econmic empire but with growing resentment especially in europe it may have a new european superpower emerging that along with china could challenge its supremacy.

How sympathetic do you think Germany and France will be to the USA in the future if the US needs help? I dont imagine many British people are too impressed with the UK getting dragged into Iraq either. Iraq is probably the last war the USA can count on the Uks direct help and the Uk is probably the USAs closest ally.

Dunno about that .

However

With britain's economy soon to eclipse teh french and germans economy we are the domniant nation in the region , not to mention military wise we are stronger.

The EU need the UK and would not risk challenging the US without us.

America will NOT collapse nor disintigrate that simply doesnt happen in the modern era, perhaps lose its dominance thats all tho.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#29    Olivier

Olivier

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Method @ Nov 7 2004, 12:26 AM)
[stereotypical remark] I can tell you are French,  disgust.gif [/stereotypical remark]

What do you mean how can you compare them, read " America and Rome History Repeats "

View Post

Hi, Method.

My profile indicates that I am French. Don't try to make me believe that you guessed that thanks to my so-called "stereotypical remark".
(Anyway, my English may have got typically French mistakes : Even then, it is not a matter of stereotype).

Thanks for the thread "Am and Rome history repeats" : I had, indeed not read it.

Bye
Olivier

#30    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:15 PM

[stereotypical remark] I can tell you are French,  [/stereotypical remark]

why the need to insult people here???

well you cant  really compare the two.

The only thing yu can say is that traditionally all empires fall.

The British, Spanish, Dutch, Portugese , French , Ottoman, Roman , Mongol.

Difference being that most of these empires didnt end with the destruction of the country itself like what basically happened in Rome.

Just a decrease in its ability to dictate to the world or enforce itself upon other nations.

Since america doesnt really have an empire then its cant really collapse, although economically as ive said it does have a new form of empire.

This in theory could collapse , but under what chain of events AND remember Rome was ruled by emperors who could not be elected , now everyone who knows me knows how i feel about george bush lol, but hes no Calico.

I dont feel that America would neglect the signs of decay as much as the pompous emperors of rome did.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users