Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A license to get on the internet is coming

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Are You Ready for a Driver’s License for the Internet?

The White House is leading efforts for a new authentication system that would have users prove their identity with a single ID across the Web. And states are starting to pilot the system.

Such incarnations of online authentication technology are sprouting up in state government agencies around the country, led by a White House vision of a new, central form of identification, what some are calling “a driver’s license for the Internet.”

http://www.govtech.c...e-Internet.html

and

States Quietly Gearing Up For Internet “Driver’s License”

http://newswatch.us/...h.cRscyDHb.dpuf

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

This is not a good thing at all...say goodbye to what remains of personal freedom.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,107 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Is it enshrined in the principles of a "free" country that one should have to prove one's identity to the Government? Of course, the reason is that the only people who seem to express any concern about this do so on the Internet, so therefore it's a nice easy way for the Government to identify who these troublemakers are. But i suppose as usual, "if you're doing nothing wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about".

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

POPULAR

View PostAdmiral Rhubarb, on 27 April 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

..."if you're doing nothing wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about".

Tell that to anyone who was Jewish in Germany during the rise of the Nazi Party.

Posted Image

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostLilly, on 27 April 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Tell that to anyone who was Jewish in Germany during the rise of the Nazi Party.

Very well said  :tu:

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    nosuchthing

nosuchthing

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostAdmiral Rhubarb, on 27 April 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

Is it enshrined in the principles of a "free" country that one should have to prove one's identity to the Government? Of course, the reason is that the only people who seem to express any concern about this do so on the Internet, so therefore it's a nice easy way for the Government to identify who these troublemakers are. But i suppose as usual, "if you're doing nothing wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about".

It's not about being able to keep tabs on troublemakers. It's about exercising more and more control over the people they govern. And it's wrong. It's been wrong for far too long though anyhow, which is part of the reason it continues to only get worse. As adults we slowly become conditioned to it to the point of acceptance. Younger generations simply grow up with it so they never knew any different to begin with.

#7    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

I guess just using social media like Facebook to keep tabs on us wasn't enough for the government. In the future people will become controlled to the point of having little choices in their own lives. Healthcare, where you can live, what job you can have, what opinions you can publically voice...it will all be controlled. Welcome to the future!

Edited by Lilly, 27 April 2014 - 11:35 AM.
typo

Posted Image

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Lets all come together and start a revolution?

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

View Postseeder, on 27 April 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Lets all come together and start a revolution?

I think it's already happening...it's called "Anonymous".

Posted Image

#10    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,107 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

View Postnosuchthing, on 27 April 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

It's not about being able to keep tabs on troublemakers. It's about exercising more and more control over the people they govern. And it's wrong. It's been wrong for far too long though anyhow, which is part of the reason it continues to only get worse. As adults we slowly become conditioned to it to the point of acceptance. Younger generations simply grow up with it so they never knew any different to begin with.
isn't it the same thing? How easy it is for Government to decide to label anyone they think is displaying signs of thinking for themselves as a troublemaker, and so give them (and everyone who believes "if you're doing nothing wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about") the justification for keeping tabs on them as a threat to Society. At the risk of provoking the good Dr. Godwin again, the analogy with the Nazis really isn't too far-fetched, I think.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,105 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I don't think it's quite as bad as being tasered for refusing to show one's ID (yet anyway). But, when traveling by air get ready to be strip searched at the whim of airport security (even if you're 90 years old and in a wheelchair).

Posted Image

#13    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,107 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

But because the Governments of the "Free World" don't actually call themselves Fascist, and they aren't as crude as simply jailing people merely for voicing dissent against the Government or supporting "Opposition parties", and they still maintain the illusion of being able to choose between one lot with one letter after their name, and another lot with another letter after their name, every few years, people still believe that they live in a "free country" and that any measures that Governments introduce are there just to "protect" them.

- Philip K. Dick.

#14    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,222 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

BTW. I don't have any problem with 'Uncle Sam' wanting me to get used to being a country with various cultures (hispanic and others). I do have a problem with the government thinking they should be allowed to control every aspect of my life though.

Posted Image

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,323 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Just another layer of taxation and control.  You know they are going to want you to pay for it.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users