Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should Animals Be Able To Sue Their Owners?

tommy chimpanzee sue owners plaintiff steven wise

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,283 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Tommy, a chimpanzee in upstate New York has become the first non-human primate to sue its captor, in an effort to become free. But it's not like the chimp actually walked into a courtroom and filed papers himself. Rather, a group of lawyers, led by Steven Wise, filed a suit on behalf of the animal on Dec. 10, as the plaintiff.

http://www.popsci.co...ue-their-owners

http://www.nytimes.c...st.html?hp&_r=0

Edited by Still Waters, 27 April 2014 - 03:28 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Kenemet

Kenemet

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think that if this enforces a "more humane" treatment, I'm all for it.  It appears that the chimp is being kept in a small enclosure by a private individual (and not in a zoo) and is not given the kind of environment found in better zoos and animal parks.  

While I eat meat and have no problem with it, at the same time I would prefer that the animals we slaughter for food are treated well and are killed quickly and humanely.  Likewise, companion and captive animals should not be kept under conditions that would be considered inhumane.

IMHO, of course.

#3    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

The New York Times article offers hope;

"The justice sat back in his chair. “Your impassioned representations to the court are quite impressive,” he said. “The court will not entertain the application, will not recognize a chimpanzee as a human or as a person . . . who can seek a writ of habeas corpus under Article 70. I will be available as the judge for any other lawsuit to right any wrongs that are done to this chimpanzee, because I understand what you’re saying. You make a very strong argument. However, I do not agree with the argument only insofar as Article 70 applies to chimpanzees. Good luck with your venture. I’m sorry I can’t sign the order, but I hope you continue. As an animal lover, I appreciate your work.”"

The judge was sympathetic, but obviously was not about to make an earth-shattering decision on the person-hood of a chimp. Some day .......

#4    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

did the chimp walked up to a police station and I said "I want to sue someone"
In this similar way?

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, 27 April 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Posted Image

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

You mean should lawyers be able to get rich by putting words into an animal's mouth?

Edited by Sundew, 28 April 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

For this to work. a "humane standard" is going to be needed.  This won't be easy or simple. It's needed IMHO, but all that will happen is lawyers will get rich

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,780 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Who paid the attorney fees?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#8    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,890 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Pro bono. I do that occasionally; not for monkeys, of course. ;)

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,602 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I can see a suit for injunctive relief or for taking away licenses or animals, but money suits sounds like an invitation to bad law and more lawyers.

#10    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

I pray that mankind realizes that animals are sentient and should be treated with respect and compassion.

The ASPCA once stated:  "If you think their dumb, then you aren't thinking."  

I wish people would spay and neuter so that we can at  least strive to have a home for every animal.  

I'd love to see (which I won't) a day where people need to apply for a dog, cat, etc and be qualified to be their guardian.   That's my dream. :)

#11    DemonicCupcake

DemonicCupcake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• "Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?"

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yes. Plain and simple.

#12    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostMJNYC, on 28 April 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

I pray that mankind realizes that animals are sentient and should be treated with respect and compassion.

The ASPCA once stated:  "If you think their dumb, then you aren't thinking."  

I wish people would spay and neuter so that we can at  least strive to have a home for every animal.  

I'd love to see (which I won't) a day where people need to apply for a dog, cat, etc and be qualified to be their guardian.   That's my dream. :)

First of all I totally agree with you MJNYC,

"Like humans, chimpanzees have a concept of their personal past and future," the team wrote. "They suffer the pain of not being able to fulfill their needs or move around as they wish; they suffer the pain of anticipating never-ending confinement."

We just want to give special rights to species that are "Like humans", that's just to pamper our self esteem as a species.
Now that's speciesism (maybe that's the legal term that will be just by lawyers in future defending against animals),
If you want to give rights to animals then give rights to all of them, not just cherry picking ones that are similar to us, as they are born on earth as we are, maybe they will call it "Earth Citizenship" or "Earth Right" or something like that,
But then again this is not a black and white issue, I mean then the whole topic of food chain comes into play, which could be resolved by lab grown meat which anyways will be our last resort due to increasing population and demand.

#13    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

While I'm 100% for the better treatment of animals, I think this is just opening a new can of worms. Our legal system is already choked because anyone is allowed to sue anyone for anything anymore. It's become the job of our courts to regulate morals and ethics. How long can a society thrive if every aspect of right and wrong are determined by lawyers?

Edited by Calibeliever, 28 April 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#14    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,885 posts

• you don’t have to cry
    it doesn’t need your tears
    the hidden thirst that steals
    sips you from inside

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Everybody celebrates with a round of bananas. :D

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#15    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostMJNYC, on 28 April 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

You mean like in Turkey ?

“Any person, who adopts, owns, sells or cares for an animal needs to have an accommodation suitable for the welfare of the animal, meet its ethological needs and care for its health. People who sell or adopt pets are obliged to take precautionary measures to prevent environmental pollution and damage and discomforts stemming from the animals; they need to compensate any damage stemming from not having taken adequate measures on time. Those who sell and own pets are obliged to participate in training programs organized by local administrations and obtain a certificate. A fine of 1,000 Turkish Liras will be imposed on those who sell pets to people who have not received animal care training.”

http://www.hurriyetd...8&NewsCatID=341

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users