Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Carrington-class CME Narrowly Misses Earth

sun space weather solar storms coronal mass ejections cme nasa

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

ScienceCasts: Carrington-class CME Narrowly Misses Earth

Visit http://science.nasa.gov/ for more.

Two years ago, an intense solar storm narrowly missed Earth. If it had hit, researchers say, we could still be picking up the pieces.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Numberman768

Numberman768

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Scary to think that this is just a matter of time.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

View PostNumberman768, on 28 April 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Scary to think that this is just a matter of time.

It is our technology that makes us vulnerable. A CME hit would go unnoticed to most life on Earth, but for humans living in high Northern or low Southern latitudes it can cause electrical blackouts and problems with radio communications. It can also cripple satellites.

As it is our technology that makes us vulnerable we must improve our technology to remove that vulnerability.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,564 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

My knowledge of the power grid structure is very limited . But are not most Earthly lines , transformers and most electronic equipment shielded , grounded , and has surge protection built in to reduce a full system breakdown ? And also how would a CME effect a home solar cell / battery system in ones home ?

I guess I'm thinking a  Total country shutdown would not happen , more like localized areas only .

Looks like you and I posted at the same time .

Edited by ROGER, 29 April 2014 - 12:06 AM.

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

View PostROGER, on 29 April 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

I guess I'm thinking a  Total country shutdown would not happen , more like localized areas only .
It doesn't need to be an entire country shut down. Just think of the implications for towns in Alaska or Northern Canada, Siberia, Norway etc, if they were to lose electrical power for several days in the middle of winter. The impact on the very young, very old and sick could be devastating.

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Losing power in the middle of a Texas summer could have the same affect on the elderly

#7    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

The auroras would be delightful.

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 29 April 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

The auroras would be delightful.

As you slowly and painfully freeze to death because there is no power, you can't call for help because the mobile phone network has been knocked out, I'm sure the fact that the sky is pretty will be some consolation as you draw your final breath.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,905 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 29 April 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

As you slowly and painfully freeze to death because there is no power, you can't call for help because the mobile phone network has been knocked out, I'm sure the fact that the sky is pretty will be some consolation as you draw your final breath.

#10    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,905 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

There's something to be said about having a woodstove and several cords of firewood. :)

On the
Above, I wonder just how bad (worse case scenario) the damage could be.

#11    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 29 April 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostBavarian Raven, on 27 July 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

There's something to be said about having a woodstove and several cords of firewood. :)

i agree with BR.
all my outdoor clothing is waterproof, breathable, and insulated. a week in anywhere remote wouldn't be any hardship whatsoever (unless it was cold enough to freeze alcohol, THEN i'd be disappointed).
an event such as this Waspie, as you pointed out, would barely register on most people's lives, so going somewhere, to watch, what would be, an amazing auroral spectacle, would, well prepared, hardly be the end of the world now, would it....

Edited by shrooma, 27 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#12    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'm pretty sure people haven't forgotten how to burn wood completely.  I'm sure people would help out old folks.  But yep inevitably some would die.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#13    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

you know, what I have learned is that it is socially unacceptable to tell the truth too soon, including the activities about the sun. I am positive I warned people about this particular issue with the sun years ago, while people scoffed.

I have always said that I am five to ten years before the perceptions of  a good portion of the USA's general population. When I speak these truths, I am not going to give you links. My objective is to give you a seed of thought that inspires you to educate yourself. Some think I am a hack. OK. That kind of reflection is simply always going to happen. What I am asking is that people start being curious and questing. Get a passion for something. One of my passions is the sun.

Edited by regeneratia, 27 July 2014 - 06:01 PM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#14    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 27 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure people haven't forgotten how to burn wood completely.  I'm sure people would help out old folks.  But yep inevitably some would die.

I have a wood-burning stove and passive solar.

I LOVE the concept and practice of foresight. Do you?

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#15    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

This is my home page. This keeps me up on events with the sun. I check it every day.
http://www.solarham.net/index.htm

Professor Hilton Hotema

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users