Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ghost App Scares woman to hospital

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

Are you up on what the hundreds of millions of Chinese netizens are talking about? Take a moment and get the rundown of what's hot, what's trending, and what's drawing the most buzz on the Chinese blogosphere.

Ghost app leaves woman scared sick

A 23-year-old woman from Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, recently sought psychiatric help after a smart phone app called the "ghost detector" gave her a very real scare over Tomb-Sweeping day.

The woman, surnamed Wu, claimed to have detected three spirits, an experience that has left her haunted by hallucinations and bouts of insomnia.

Read: http://www.globaltim...ml#.U181X1ewXBM

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#2    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,515 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

Ha!

Many American parents tell their children resurrected zombie stories and you do not see any damage from that.

*.*

Posted Image
Man or myth?...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#3    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

It's just a toy... lol

Stupid woman..

#4    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostMidyin, on 29 April 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

It's just a toy... lol

Stupid woman..

Damn, it may just be a toy but the fear for her is real.  Its no different than if someone rents a video and cries over the storyline.  Some people shouldn't be allowed to comment if they are going to just be rude!

#5    SaginMerusan

SaginMerusan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostMantis914, on 29 April 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Damn, it may just be a toy but the fear for her is real.  Its no different than if someone rents a video and cries over the storyline.  Some people shouldn't be allowed to comment if they are going to just be rude!

I beg to differ.

Someone's stupidity should not be an excuse, and really, someone uses a smartphone, a late 20th century invention, but yet is fearful of a medieval belief founded on no factual evidence.

The woman was taught to behave via fear-mongering stories as a child. So shall I still expect to be rewarded if I leave a tooth under my pillow? No, because I know full well that the tooth fairy or ghosts aren't factual. So, too, should the woman not claim to be moved emotionally by ghosts stories, culture be damned.

Edited by SaginMerusan, 30 April 2014 - 01:33 AM.

Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, where there is a lack of will: for the will, as the affect of command, is the distinguishing characteristic of sovereignty and power.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

#6    Duck33

Duck33

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:40 AM

Well it just goes to show that belief in anything paranormal is not a position arrived at through sound reason and critical thinking.

#7    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostMidyin, on 30 April 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Seriously? You're defending her for letting a toy cause her a psychotic break?...
I don't give a damn if she's suffering. You want to know why? Because she's ****ing stupid, and the Darwinist in me hates her for being a weak idiot.. lol

Some people shouldn't be aloud to comment if they're just going to be stupid.. ;)

I am sorry but I agree with SaginMerusan. In USA ghosts are viewed more as entertainment, not real and harmless. In China and other Asian cultures, It is built into their culture ,their version of ghosts are violent, dangerous, rapists, and murderers.

The best example is the bible, There is a lot of people who believe in hell and after life and Jesus and if some one made fun or criticize those beliefs, the Christians (or what ever religion) would get offended heavily .

Yes it is silly, The woman worked her self up but reading from the article, she is suffering from mental issues.

Edited by Brian Topp, 30 April 2014 - 03:00 AM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#8    jamesjr191

jamesjr191

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• S*** happens, again and again.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

I grew up on "shock theater" Saturdays and read Horror Tales magazine as a kid. no harm here, well maybe just a bit. :cry:

Mr. Crowley, what went down in your head
Mr. Crowley, did you talk to the dead?

#9    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

View PostSaginMerusan, on 30 April 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

I beg to differ.

Someone's stupidity should not be an excuse, and really, someone uses a smartphone, a late 20th century invention, but yet is fearful of a medieval belief founded on no factual evidence.

The woman was taught to behave via fear-mongering stories as a child. So shall I still expect to be rewarded if I leave a tooth under my pillow? No, because I know full well that the tooth fairy or ghosts aren't factual. So, too, should the woman not claim to be moved emotionally by ghosts stories, culture be damned.

Culture be damn, huh?  Tell that to those on Facebook who fly into rages and attack people both online and physically for a mere posting.  Would you consider that stupidity also?  Facebook has become part of our culture, like it or not and to some people, it apparently is their life and the ages of users are getting younger by the year...

#10    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,309 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Call me stupid too...

Cultures are different.  And within a culture, people come in a range of gullibility - just look around these forums - you'll see some genuine enquiries about whether that detector app actually does anything...  For some, be it due to 'mental issues' or just plain naivety, it may not be clear that an app is a joke, or that it does not / cannot do what it says it does...

Personally I think it's simple - apps, be they deliberate jokes or not, should not use misleading descriptions.  Some of the ghost apps do exactly that - they are pretty thin on admitting they are jokes, or offering proper disclaimers about the claims they make.

Personally, I'd love to see that lady get a good lawyer and take them on (even if she's faking it all - after all, jokes are ok, right?)..  Maybe if they have to defend some court cases, these 'developers' might think twice about creating such drivel in the first place, or if they do, making it very clear that the app is bullmanure.

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#11    Misanthropic

Misanthropic

Mildly Harmless Annoyance

• 1,195 posts

• Where's your crown, king nothing?

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

*Sigh*

--- Insert quote from famous dead person here. ---

#12    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,209 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm not sure it's too fair to pick on the woman for her response to the ghost app. It does seem rather silly and all I know, but sometimes we get freaked out. After all, we have horror movies that can trigger nightmares or make us decide things like never staying in a hostel. Haunted houses that have triggered panic attacks, heart attacks, asthma attacks and probably gave a lot of people heebie-jeebies for a while afterwards. Some folks get themselves freaked out on a regular basis ghost hunting too.
We can give ourselves some pretty good scares when we are expecting the scare. When we aren't expecting the scare it can really be extra unnerving, no matter how silly it seems.

Personally, I think the woman was silly for being freaked like she was... But I'm not going to pick on her or her culture because of it.

#13    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostChrLzs, on 30 April 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Call me stupid too...

Cultures are different.  And within a culture, people come in a range of gullibility - just look around these forums - you'll see some genuine enquiries about whether that detector app actually does anything...  For some, be it due to 'mental issues' or just plain naivety, it may not be clear that an app is a joke, or that it does not / cannot do what it says it does...

Personally I think it's simple - apps, be they deliberate jokes or not, should not use misleading descriptions.  Some of the ghost apps do exactly that - they are pretty thin on admitting they are jokes, or offering proper disclaimers about the claims they make.

Personally, I'd love to see that lady get a good lawyer and take them on (even if she's faking it all - after all, jokes are ok, right?)..  Maybe if they have to defend some court cases, these 'developers' might think twice about creating such drivel in the first place, or if they do, making it very clear that the app is bullmanure.

And not that I was defending the woman because I think its silly also but ChrLzs put it very elegantly that they didn't make it clear whether this technology was on the level or not.  Look at warning labels on products.  You see them and think "duh" but still you get people poisoned or hurt from products warning people not to use them in the very way they ended up in the hospital...

#14    Red Moon

Red Moon

Psychic Spy

• 1,907 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

She suffered a fear of ghosts ever since childhood. Maybe she's been scared when she was little of some supernatural event or even by cruel stories. I don't know what made her want to get an app with ghosts for, but whatever the reason, I don't think she intended to be severely scared out of her wits.

Posted Image

#15    Rye17

Rye17

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

• God made me agnostic... who am I to question his wisdom

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:14 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 29 April 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

Ha!

Many American parents tell their children resurrected zombie stories and you do not see any damage from that.

*.*

Wait...what? We don't really do that. It's just a popular movie/tv genre that I do enjoy watching but do not let my children see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users