Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GOP presidential race wide open

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,782 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Washington Post said:

The 2016 Republican presidential nominating battle is shaping up as the most wide-open in a generation, with a new Washington Post-ABC News poll showing five prospective candidates within four percentage points of one another at the top and a half-dozen more in the mix.

The picture is very different on the Democratic side, where former secretary of state Hillary Rodham Clinton is the clear front-runner. In a hypothetical matchup, Clinton leads former Florida governor Jeb Bush — seen by many GOP establishment figures as the party’s strongest general-election candidate — 53 percent to 41 percent.

Clinton’s commanding position is fueled by large leads over Bush with female, non-white and young voters. The poll found that neither Clinton nor Bush appears to be weighed down by a dynastic family name. Sixty-six percent of all Americans say they view the Clinton family favorably, while 54 percent have a favorable opinion of the Bushes.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

If the Repubs put another Bush on the ticket then they are TRYING to lose.

Sure, he will get some die hard Repubs that will vote for whoever they put on the ballot but they will lose a whole section of Repubs and most independents.

Hillary has strong support as much as I disagree with her positions on most things...she will win if the Repubs or a third party do not put up a very strong candidate.  Sad but true.

The Repubs need to get their head out of the sand...people are still kinda p!ssed off about the to unfunded wars his brother started.  The name "Bush" should be as attractive to them as a dose of radiation...guess we will see if they want to win or want to lose...again.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,782 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

The problem is that they have been dismembering and sabotaging anybody who had a fair chance by squabbling over battles they could not win. At the end the best they have to run is Jeb Bush.

And that is pretty sad.

Guess we will have another roundup of Ghost Train Brake (Wo)Men like in '12.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,783 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 30 April 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

If the Repubs put another Bush on the ticket then they are TRYING to lose.

Sure, he will get some die hard Repubs that will vote for whoever they put on the ballot but they will lose a whole section of Repubs and most independents.

Hillary has strong support as much as I disagree with her positions on most things...she will win if the Repubs or a third party do not put up a very strong candidate.  Sad but true.

The Repubs need to get their head out of the sand...people are still kinda p!ssed off about the to unfunded wars his brother started.  The name "Bush" should be as attractive to them as a dose of radiation...guess we will see if they want to win or want to lose...again.
The country has slipped so far left now that I think the republicans have won their last presidency - at least as a conservative party.  The Libertarians aren't strong enough yet and most of them probably were conservative first so that weakens the republican base even more.  It looks like Hillary will get what she always wanted.  I wonder what fantasies she'll spin to explain spending money that isn't there?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

Can't say who the front runner will be, it's far too early. I do think the GOP is suicidal if they keep pushing amnesty for illegals. In one poll I saw several weeks ago it held about a 3% interest with voters when asked what issues were important to them. And by suicidal, I mean they will guarantee a whole new Democrat voting block and at a time when American citizens are having trouble finding work, some 10 to 20 million people will potentially be added to the work force. How about waiting until AFTER the midterms to take this up, it's not like it has to be solved tomorrow, but then the GOP always seems to be able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,690 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

My prediction is that the Gop nomination is either going to be Rand Paul or Jeb Bush, possibly even Paul Ryan

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 30 April 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

My prediction is that the Gop nomination is either going to be Rand Paul or Jeb Bush, possibly even Paul Ryan

I could prob get behind Rand Paul...the problem is the "cronies" will tear his throat out publicly to get "their" guy nominated...and the damage will be done.  If the Repubs run Jeb or Ryan...they have assured a loss.

I hope the Libertarians put Gary Johnson up again, he got a little, tiny, bit of exposure last election and that is better than nothing...at least his name will not be totally unknown.  I'm afraid if they pick a new candidate, they will be starting over from square one again.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Jeb Bush v Hillary Clinton?   You've gotta be kidding me.  

I'll vote for Ralph Nader or Cynthia McKinney or Chuck Baldwin or anyone to avoid participating in yet another turd v douche presidential election.   Not to say there aren't moneyed interests in all of these candidates because there are.   It's embarrassing though that all the big money can come up with is more bologna and hot dogs.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#9    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,849 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 30 April 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

I could prob get behind Rand Paul...the problem is the "cronies" will tear his throat out publicly to get "their" guy nominated...and the damage will be done.  If the Repubs run Jeb or Ryan...they have assured a loss.

I hope the Libertarians put Gary Johnson up again, he got a little, tiny, bit of exposure last election and that is better than nothing...at least his name will not be totally unknown.  I'm afraid if they pick a new candidate, they will be starting over from square one again.

I haft to admit, even though I'm not a Libertarian, I really like that guy, always did. I hope he does get back in again. It would be interesting see if he got a hellvua lot more votes this time.

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

#10    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

Vote OverSword.

#11    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,929 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:36 AM

Same as the last election: Stalin vs Hitler

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#12    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

I don't see where or how it matters which one of those win. Washington insider v republican backslider. if it wasn't for Obamacare I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between George Bushs last three years and Obamas terms.
so I figure who ever gets in will continue the downward spiral.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,301 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Just another sign of the times we live in.A little under 250 years after our founding fathers fought a war for our independence,we the people start voting for dynastic rulers to lead the way! :td:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

With the deaths of Benghazi pretty obviously a result of Ms Clinton's neglect and arrogance, I really don't see how the American people could in good conscience elect her to anything.

#15    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,301 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

Most of the people here in the states do not use good conscience when they vote frank,i myself would not vote for either one of these bums.Many though will for better or worse because as long as the other party doesnt win they will be happy  :tsu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users