Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What If Jesus Hadn't Been Crucified?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,506 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

If Jesus hadn't been crucified and had lived to a ripe old age and died of natural causes, how would Christianity be different than it is today?

Jesus could have continued offering his message and performing miracles. After death he could have returned as he did in the Bible. Wasn't Jesus' redemptive death a later addition to or interpretation of the passion?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#2    JJ50

JJ50

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

The crucifixion is probably credible as Jesus upset the religious mafia of the day, but popping up alive on the third day after his death, just isn't. If Jesus had lived to maturity, he might have toned down some of the statements he uttered as a hot headed younger man!

“The wise recognise their failings and laugh at their idiosyncrasies” RJG

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Given that the only evidence we have for a Jesus who was crucified is an unverifiable story, with no supporting evidence from any independent, contemporary source, then it's likely that Christianity would be no different today if the person in question existed, and was crucified, or did not and so was not.

This is not to argue against the belief in question, but to highlight that it is based not on evidence - but on a story. So long as the story was still written, then Christianity would be the same.

Edited by Leonardo, 30 April 2014 - 04:35 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

He would have had to face all the other prophets around. I believe he was chosen as an example, if he had not died we may never have heard of him and some other prophet who may have got crucified after him would have been chosen.
Funny how death makes some people into legends.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,154 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostJJ50, on 30 April 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

The crucifixion is probably credible as Jesus upset the religious mafia of the day, but popping up alive on the third day after his death, just isn't. If Jesus had lived to maturity, he might have toned down some of the statements he uttered as a hot headed younger man!
Toned down?  Toned down love your neighbor as you love yourself?  Toned down do to others as you would have them do to you?

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 April 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

He would have had to face all the other prophets around. I believe he was chosen as an example, if he had not died we may never have heard of him and some other prophet who may have got crucified after him would have been chosen.
Funny how death makes some people into legends.
Freetoroam watched Life of Brian recently.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostOverSword, on 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Its my bible in video form.

#7    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,412 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

If so, the script to Monty Python`s Life of Brian would be different and a number of brilliant dialoges would not be part
of the movie. (" To the crucifixion? Ok, please go to the left, and only one single cross per person please!")

Edited by toast, 30 April 2014 - 04:47 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#8    JJ50

JJ50

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostOverSword, on 30 April 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Toned down?  Toned down love your neighbor as you love yourself?  Toned down do to others as you would have them do to you?

I mean expecting people to leave their responsibilities and follow him, and giving the impression he was some sort of deity which he clearly wasn't, imo

“The wise recognise their failings and laugh at their idiosyncrasies” RJG

#9    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,154 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostJJ50, on 30 April 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I mean expecting people to leave their responsibilities and follow him, and giving the impression he was some sort of deity which he clearly wasn't, imo
If that's how you interpret it.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,313 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

View Posttoast, on 30 April 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

If so, the script to Monty Python`s Life of Brian would be different and a number of brilliant dialoges would not be part
of the movie. (" To the crucifixion? Ok, please go to the left, and only one single cross per person please!")

toast! please stop this ....I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy. - - Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend.

#11    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 April 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Its my bible in video form.

Its far more entertaining and relevant to me than any bible

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,313 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Postdr no, on 30 April 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Its far more entertaining and relevant to me than any bible
that`s because we always look on the bright side of life. :yes:

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,771 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

For those of us who sincerely believe in his sacrificial death and the freedom it offers us, this question illustrates a misunderstanding of why he was crucified.  He was a man but he was also divine.  he had power over death itself and easily could have avoided the cross if that had been his intention.  His entire life on earth was in preparation for this act of sacrifice.  He taught and performed miracles and proved his innocence and love for his neighbors - all things he expects from his followers btw - (even some miracles in the time of the apostles) and he did those things to establish that he was who he claimed to be.  Dying as a sacrifice is what gave power to  forgive sin.  He was the atonement that was necessary.  WHY was it necessary?  I won't even try to explain something I admit I don't truly understand myself.  But I accept that it was and that it has been done - a free gift to those who believe.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,313 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

View Postand then, on 30 April 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

For those of us who sincerely believe in his sacrificial death and the freedom it offers us, this question illustrates a misunderstanding of why he was crucified.  He was a man but he was also divine.  he had power over death itself and easily could have avoided the cross if that had been his intention.  His entire life on earth was in preparation for this act of sacrifice.  He taught and performed miracles and proved his innocence and love for his neighbors - all things he expects from his followers btw - (even some miracles in the time of the apostles) and he did those things to establish that he was who he claimed to be.  Dying as a sacrifice is what gave power to  forgive sin.  He was the atonement that was necessary.  WHY was it necessary?  I won't even try to explain something I admit I don't truly understand myself.  But I accept that it was and that it has been done - a free gift to those who believe.
Not sure if he could have avoided the cross, it seems that he was - tried and sentenced by Pontius Pilate and he did not have much back up from his fellow Jews who he had upset a touch.
But if his followers would like to believe he sacrificed himself, then that`s their right to do so.

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,771 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 April 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Not sure if he could have avoided the cross, it seems that he was - tried and sentenced by Pontius Pilate and he did not have much back up from his fellow Jews who he had upset a touch.
But if his followers would like to believe he sacrificed himself, then that`s their right to do so.
As I said - his believers accept the fact that he was God in the flesh.  If one accepts that Christ was the Creator God then nothing is impossible for him.  I realize that it sounds like foolishness to those who don't believe - but for those of faith the cross is a symbol of POWER to those who need salvation.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users