Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Government backs UK spaceport plan

uksa

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,182 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

Government backs UK launch site plan for space tourism

www.bbc.co.uk said:

The government has backed plans for a four-fold expansion of the UK space industry to £40bn by 2030.

It is also considering developing the necessary legal framework to permit a spaceport to be set up in the UK.

It is hoped that this might see the growth of new space tourism companies to start operating services in Britain.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Border Collie

Border Collie

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

• Hello!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Bearing in mind the problems we have extending an airport I am not sure I want to even know about this Government daydream!

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,182 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

View PostBorder Collie, on 30 April 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Bearing in mind the problems we have extending an airport I am not sure I want to even know about this Government daydream!

The beauty of the coming generation of sub-orbital tourist spacecraft is that they can use existing runways. This is more about legislation allowing this to occur rather than building any new infrastructure.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

Go well with that reaction engine and the proposed Skylon plane.

Space industries is one of the few things that seem to be growing fast in the UK, sensible investment at last instead of ploughing it into failing banks.

Posted Image

#5    taniwha

taniwha

Psychic Spy

• 1,211 posts

• ~ As a shadow is to the body, so the body is to the Soul ~

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

Why not feed the poor and house the homeless instead?  Where is the humanity?

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,182 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 01 May 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

And this from the person that was suggesting spending billions on the 24 year old Hubble telescope despite the fact that it will soon be obsolete. Quite the hypocrite aren't you.

I don't suppose you actually read the article. This is not about spending UK tax payers money, this is about legislation which will allow the private sector to operate space tourism from the UK.

It is also about continuing to support an industry which is growing massively in the UK, bringing more money into the country.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 01 May 2014 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,380 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Space Exploration in general has greatly benefited humanity.

See this: http://en.wikipedia....ff_technologies

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#8    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,307 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 01 May 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

And this from the person that was suggesting spending billions on the 24 year old Hubble telescope despite the fact that it will soon be obsolete. Quite the hypocrite aren't you.
I don't suppose you actually read the article. This is not about spending UK tax payers money, this is about legislation which will allow the private sector to operate space tourism from the UK.
It is also about continuing to support an industry which is growing massively in the UK, bringing more money into the country.
Counter-sunk! :yes:

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

#9    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• 1,043 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 01 May 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Why is it that this argument only ever seems to be used against the space industry? For some reason it's never used against the defence industry, despite the massive cost of so many items of defence materiel, or the obscene salaries of company directors, or the absurd salaries paid to sport stars.

In any case, why not both?

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,182 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostPeter B, on 01 May 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Why is it that this argument only ever seems to be used against the space industry?
I wouldn't mind so much if it was an argument put forward intelligently and by someone of conviction, but as this one line post was put forward by someone that consistently posts proposing spending money on illogical, unworkable, unscientific ideas that have just popped into his head I really don't think you should take it too seriously.

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,380 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

The Space Industry has actually been highly beneficial for society (just look at my link above).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,182 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostLilly, on 01 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

The Space Industry has actually been highly beneficial for society (just look at my link above).

The very fact that I can look at a link posted by someone the other side of the Atlantic to me is, in part, because of the space industry.

My mobile phone can make international call, display accurate weather forecasts, give me my position anywhere in the world with an accuracy of a few metres. All of these things are possible ONLY because of the space industry.

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    taniwha

taniwha

Psychic Spy

• 1,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostPeter B, on 01 May 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Why is it that this argument only ever seems to be used against the space industry? For some reason it's never used against the defence industry, despite the massive cost of so many items of defence materiel, or the obscene salaries of company directors, or the absurd salaries paid to sport stars.

In any case, why not both?

In an ideal world we would use the spin offs from space tourism to cure social ills.
Its like Lotto', the profits really could address these causes but they dont.  Perhaps tickets on the Space plane could be sold weekly by lottery where the needy reap some financial benefit.  A little is better than nothing.

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,182 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

And you are selling your possessions to help I suppose.

It's amazing how many people say that money for space exploration should be cut, but I wonder just how many of them are prepared to give up part of their life style to help. The attitude seems to be, "something should be done, just not by me".

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 01 May 2014 - 11:59 AM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    taniwha

taniwha

Psychic Spy

• 1,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 01 May 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

And you are selling your possessions to help I suppose.

It's amazing how many people say that money for space exploration should be cut, but I wonder just how many of them are prepared to give up part of their life style to help. The attitude seems to be, "something should be done, just not by me".

"He cometh, he taketh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users