Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Amateur astronomer discovers supernova

dave grennan supernova exploding star amateur astronomer supernova 2014as

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

An amateur astronomer has discovered a previously unknown supernova - an exploding star - from the back garden of his home in the Republic of Ireland.

Dave Grennan made the discovery using the observatory he set up at the rear of his house in Raheny, north Dublin.

It is the third time he has discovered a supernova from his home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-27185965

Posted Image

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,226 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

That's one of the things I love about astronomy, even in the 21st century amateurs can still make significant discoveries.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,274 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Space, the final frontier...wait a minute, I think somebody already said that! :D  Anyway, you know what I mean...there's so much 'out there' to be discovered.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#4    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

I find it quite interesting that it is precisely the amateur astronomers that make these discoveries. Is it perhaps because sometimes the seasoned ones tend to overlook things they think are trivial?
Pretty cool I think to be able to discover something like that. You really have to know the night sky I guess.

#5    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,414 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostRyu, on 30 April 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

I find it quite interesting that it is precisely the amateur astronomers that make these discoveries. Is it perhaps because
sometimes the seasoned ones tend to overlook things they think are trivial?
Nope, it`s the huge number of amateur astronomers globally (I`m one of them) that makes such findings happen.

Pretty cool I think to be able to discover something like that. You really have to know the night sky I guess.
Not really, todays telescope technology helps a lot. I have a guided telescope with GPS module, Go-To function and a
database of 40.000 objects. You just need to align it by centering 3 stars or planets one after another and the machine
"knows" where it is. After that you can targed any visible or non visible object on the sky and the machine follows it by
compensating the earth rotation. And yeah, it`s fun.

Edited by toast, 01 May 2014 - 12:00 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,226 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

Is it perhaps because sometimes the seasoned ones tend to overlook things they think are trivial?
On the contrary, the professionals want to know about supernova discoveries (and comet discoveries, another area where amateurs excel) as soon as they happen, but they, to a degree, allow the amateurs to look for these things.

There are a limited number of large professional telescopes and so observing time on them is at a premium. Searching through hundreds of galaxies to find a new supernova is incredibly time consuming and there is just not enough time to do this with professional instruments.

However tens of thousands of amateurs can, between them, search an awful lot of sky, night after night. Once the supernova has been detected then the professionals will turn their multi-million dollar telescopes towards the area of interest.

However the sort of software that toast mentions means that an increasing number of these objects ARE now discovered by professionals. Using smaller, cheaper robotic telescopes and advanced software observatories are scanning the skies for things like near-Earth asteroids. They will also detect comets, novae and supernovae.

The professionals software is even better than that available to amateurs, so many of the discoveries are now made by computer.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 01 May 2014 - 12:50 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,390 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

3 of them! I'd love to discover just one LOL!

The amatuer contigent are often largely underated, one of my fellow countrymen was the first to spot the last 2 Jupiter strikes.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#8    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,352 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

I personally know one of these supernova hunters, and I don't mean via the web..  I was at a party talking to him about his recent work barely three days ago.  He does it for fun, is not affiliated with any organisation or gov't, but corresponds with fellow enthusiasts here in Oz in a little club of those with similar interests.  You should see the scope he uses - including the refrigerated ccd, and he manages to do this from a relatively light polluted high-density neighbourhood near the Gold Coast.  I won't identify him but he has his name on more than 5 supernovas so far...

I'm not currently in an astronomy club I confess (I've recently relocated and just haven't had time), yet I already know him and at least 3 others within 20km of me who have astonishingly good telescopes and do lots of night-time observing using lots of diverse equipment from all-sky cams thru to high power binoculars thru to really big GoTo scopes - two of them have dome type backyard observatories.  These folks LOVE to show off their equipment and talk about the stuff they have, and the stuff they see, and I'd invite anyone who doubts their sincerity and abilities to actually go find them and talk to them.  Join your local astronomy club, and you'll find out just how much observing happens completely in the hands of Joe Public.

For Oz-based folks, have a look here at IceInSpace - it's an astronomy site and forum for amateurs.  Actually, I'd recommend it for anyone...

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#9    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Heres a closer look at 2014as

https://www.flickr.c...ky/13931569244/

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users