Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Social Media, A Force for Connection or Not?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,380 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

I just happened across this: http://startempathy....-and-loneliness

So, what do you think? I tend to see social media as distancing people from putting effort into face to face contact...but it does make it easier to communicate (at least on one level).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#2    Border Collie

Border Collie

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

• Hello!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

But the communication is very shallow and two dimensional. It's worrying that people have nothing better to do with their time and energy than FB and twit.

#3    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,299 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Its a good thing to think about for sure.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#4    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

I agree with Border that electronic communication promotes the illusion of intimacy. People, especially youth, may use it to "connect," but all bets are off when the 'off' button is pushed or the power goes out. Interpersonal skills that necessitate face-to-face contact are underused or, worse yet, never developed at all.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,303 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

You can empathise with a person when you've had a similar experience to what they are having , but you cant possibly be thinking the same thoughts.Empathy can be good when its used wisely, but I think that today people are using the internet to communicate rather than having face to face discussion.Everyone seems to have a cell phone glued to their ear instead of waiting until they actually see the person to have a chat.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

It's like I posted back a while ago, that I was bugged with Facebook because half of the kids I went to high school with but didn't know on a personal level, didn't hang out with at all, were asking to be my friend just so they could get there status up

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#7    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,070 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Social media is a tool, neither inherently good nor bad. What's critical, I think, is how it's used.

#8    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

For friends and family i see in person. We just talk on the cell phone or in person.

For friends I have in other states social media is great!

Overall spending to much time on social networks can make you lose time with your loved ones in person.

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

For the last year I've been housebound for health reasons, and can do the work my former employer sends me (and generously keeps paying me my salary for) in half an hour.  My family and neighbors visit, but they have their own lives so I have to be careful not to demand too much attention.

That leaves the internet and TV.  Thanks but I'll take the internet.  Still, one can only spend so much time reading the news and interesting articles, and I'm a fast reader.  I suppose I could take up some course of study, and did but finished the courses and didn't learn much I didn't already know.

These web chats sites give me a chance to not just talk to people but to be entertained other ways (such as how off the wall some people are whom I would never meet in my ordinary life).  Besides, I can't argue with friends over politics and religion.  It isn't done in polite circles, but internet is not polite (necessarily -- I try to be).

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,493 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostBeany, on 01 May 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

Social media is a tool, neither inherently good nor bad. What's critical, I think, is how it's used.

^yes.   Any sort of communication can unite or divide.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

I strongly doubt these chat sites or the comments we are invited to attach to various stories and articles have much if any effect and are even read my more than a handful of people.

It is probable that some nefarious and some not-so-nefarious groups collect data from them to get an idea of public opinion or whatever, but I doubt they get anything very useful.

Historians years from now may also comb them to get an idea of the culture, and will be similarly mislead.

#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,902 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

"Social" media as redefined "social activity" as being something one can engage in while physically isolated from any other human being. In the sense it reinforces the perception of 'person' as the intellectual being, rather than the physical being, it may be seen as being a positive. In the sense that it also reinforces physical isolation and facilitates the development of social anxieties through the person becoming accustomed to physical isolation, it may be seen as being a negative.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 21 May 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

"Social" media as redefined "social activity" as being something one can engage in while physically isolated from any other human being. In the sense it reinforces the perception of 'person' as the intellectual being, rather than the physical being, it may be seen as being a positive. In the sense that it also reinforces physical isolation and facilitates the development of social anxieties through the person becoming accustomed to physical isolation, it may be seen as being a negative.
I guess maybe so.

#14    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,138 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

I think Social Media is awesome when it's used properly. I credit Facebook for getting me back out in the world and being social with real people far more than I EVER have. I can be out and about and cast out a WIDE message on Facebook stating I'm near XYZ restaurant and I'm going to have lunch, is anyone in the area interested in meeting me? One post and done, and there's usually a taker or two out there. Previous to social media, I'd have most likely been eating alone.

Then there's the calendar aspect of tools like Facebook as well. I can sign up to receive notifications at places like museums, or parks, or clubs or bars and at any given moment know what's going on that I might be interested in doing, I can share that event and see if any one of my 400 friends (who are really friends) want to go too. With one click of a mouse, it's on my calendar. No fuss, no muss.

Of course, like with all tools, especially tools which rely on social skills, I have seen Facebook go very wrong. Mostly, I ignore that junk. To have a positive experience with a tool like Facebook, you have to use your brain with it.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#15    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

It's a handier way of getting in contact with people and you get to avoid the annoyance of prolonged conversation and voices. You want someone to stop talking? Log out or block them.

That being said, many people like to misinterpret soulless text and as such, can get all SNIP about it. So make sure to use your emoticons lest you SNIP off their loyal followers on *Twitter*.

Edited by Lilly, 23 May 2014 - 02:48 PM.
language issues

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users