Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery object picked up on Loch Ness sonar

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

A cruise vessel has picked up an 'unusual' reading of an unidentified object in the depths of Loch Ness.

The Loch Ness Monster was in the news again this week when the Jacobite Queen, a cruise vessel that carries thousands of tourists up and down the loch every year, reported that it had picked up a mysterious hit on its underwater scanning equipment.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...loch-ness-sonar

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

A cruise line whose livelihood is transporting tourists for a chance to spot Nessie, claims to have spotted something possibly "Nessie-like" on sonar? What are the odds?

What information on the object did they get from the sonar or did I miss something? No details given, just a blurb meant to bolster tourism after a year long lack of sightings?
Can you tell anything from the sonar screenshot? I don't know how to "read" it.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 02 May 2014 - 07:02 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    6.6.6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Just in time for the holiday season!

#4    HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Odd how a cruise ship has managed to hit something that dozens of intense radar searches have not

#5    space-dude1

space-dude1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• it is during our darkest moments, that we must focus to see the light

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

i do belive my intelligence has just been insulted by the good captain askew

#6    6.6.6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Im led to believe the the driver of the jacobite queen, goes by the self appointed nickname of 'Cpt Ahab'

Enough said!

#7    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

"It's impossible to tell what we've picked up here" - Skipper, John Askew

The Jacobite Queen, recently also known as Nessie, has detected an unidentifiable blob on their sonar. Surely this could be nothing but the legendary monster itself.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#8    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 02 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

A cruise line whose livelihood is transporting tourists for a chance to spot Nessie, claims to have spotted something possibly "Nessie-like" on sonar? What are the odds?

What information on the object did they get from the sonar or did I miss something? No details given, just a blurb meant to bolster tourism after a year long lack of sightings?
Can you tell anything from the sonar screenshot? I don't know how to "read" it.

Ha! :w00t:  couldn't have said it better myself, just a well needed boost in their tourist visitation nothing more.I'm not discrediting whether or not some organism is in this body of water fyi, just agreeing that every cry for wolf isn't what it appears :tsu:

Posted Image

#9    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostDigitalDreamer, on 02 May 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Ha! :w00t:  couldn't have said it better myself, just a well needed boost in their tourist visitation nothing more.I'm not discrediting whether or not some organism is in this body of water fyi, just agreeing that every cry for wolf isn't what it appears :tsu:

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of "organisms" in the Loch. Just no plesiosaurs.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#10    Urisk

Urisk

Motorhead for life!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

• Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Well I'm convinced.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#11    E. L. Wisty

E. L. Wisty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

You will notice that this report comes immediately after the "best Nessie photo ever" satellite image which generated considerable publicity in the less fussy newspapers, most of which failed to report that, literally within hours of its release, the photo had been conclusively shown not to be Nessie. Oddly enough, what it really shows is the boat we're talking about here - the Jacobite Queen.

Nobody has suggested that this was a deliberate hoax - you can't really tamper with photos taken by a third party which happens to be a robot in orbit. But the redoubtable Captain Agnew/Ahab/Whoever must have been relieved when it was released just at a time when there was talk of Nessie being officially "dead" after nobody had reported any sightings at all for over a year. And you can bet that his cruise bookings suddenly went up by about 1000%.

And then of course it became all too obvious that it wasn't the monster at all, just, by a supreme irony, his own boat. Incidentally, The Scotsman, the journal which reported this story, covered itself by reporting the debunking of the satellite photo, but did so in such a way as to imply that those rotten spoilsport skeptics were merely expressing an alternative opinion, omitting all photographic evidence other than the original extreme close-up of the "monster". They certainly didn't publish the uncropped photo. If you'd like to make your own minds up:

https://www.metabunk...0419_053905.jpg

So Captain Van Helsing or whoever he is this week knows that Nessie desperately needs all the publicity she can get right now, even if she doesn't exist, because it's not hurting him any. And he knows the media will run with a story of this nature without checking the facts at all, and then if they eventually do, they won't ruin the initial story by backtracking all that much. This sonar blip is so well-timed that it has to be a fake! Though when I say "fake", I mean that he probably did genuinely record it on his ship's sonar. But if you can't interpret sonar - and how many of us can? - that could be absolutely anything.

It’s impossible to tell what we’ve picked up here, but along with those satellite images, you can’t help feeling that reports of the Loch Ness Monster’s demise may be premature.

Oh come on, Captain Hellboy, you've just deliberately tied it in with something you know to be a misidentification of your own boat, while leaving yourself an out in case anybody suggests that you aren't fit to be in charge of a ship packed with sightseers because you can't identify the sonar signature of whatever that in fact is - for all I and 99.99% of readers know, it's a canoe - since "impossible to tell" technically covers: "identical to all the other canoes, salmon, or whatever this blip looks like that I've picked up on the sonar over the years I've been doing this, but with sonar, you can't be 100% sure unless you get visual confirmation, and I didn't see with my own eyes that it wasn't a dinosaur".

Though actually, good luck to him! As loopy beliefs go, Nessie's a very harmless one. It's not as if Scotland has any maniacs lurking in fortified cabins full of illegal guns just because they believe in Nessie, perhaps because even if you're as stupid and insane as those characters tend to be, it's almost impossible to claim that the UK government are covering up her existence. Because a) seriously, why would they?, and B) it's a totally useless cover-up, seeing as Nessie could give it all away at any moment by randomly sticking her head out of the water that one time a tourist holding a camera remembers to press the button.

PS - If you want to know how desperate Captain Birdseye & friends were getting in their attempts to remind people that Nessie was something it was worth paying to look for because you might actually see her before that satellite photo popped up and saved their bacon:

http://www.scotsman....-call-1-3361634

#12    HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

I have to admit to having a fondness for Loch Ness and Nessie. I wish there was a relict population of plesiosaurs there, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

#13    ShortyStuff

ShortyStuff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Nessie is most likely a Greenland Shark. Watch this and make up your own mind ---> http://bestreams.net/32ul0x389d3h

#14    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

The People's Liberation Army Navy submarine fleet is everywhere these days!

#15    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:29 AM

I like the askew part the best !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users