Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Mystery of Lancaster ME-752 unravelled

rnzaf rocky roche heythuysen lancaster bomber world war 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

For 70 years a New Zealand family has lived with the sorrow of never knowing where a brave Kiwi pilot fatally crashed his aircraft after being hit by enemy fire during World War II.

Flight Sergeant Gerald "Rocky" Roche and the stone memorial to the dead airmen erected in Heythuysen, the Netherlands.
Flight Sergeant Gerald Brian "Rocky" Roche was just 21 when his RNZAF Lancaster bomber was shot down behind enemy lines on July 21, 1944. But seven decades after the young airman was killed, his family finally learned the true story of his death - and his exact burial spot.

The mystery was unravelled by the relentless detective work of Ria Schmieder-Brouns from the small Dutch town of Heythuysen.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11248636

#2    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

A small but impressive memorial in remembrance of the crew of the Lancaster ME752 of the 75th (NZ) squadron of the RAF which crashed on the field behind the monument on the 21st of July 1944.

The text on the memorial:

AKE AKE KIA KAHA

(For ever and ever be strong)

On July 21st 1944 the Lancaster ME-752 from Squadron 75 Royal New Zealand Air Force crashed on this foreign field.
Five crewmembers lost their lives.
This is their Memorial.

Joseph Armstrong (raf)
Jack Frank Macdonald Barson (raf)
Horace Callow (rnzaf)
Gerald Brain Roche (rnzaf)
Keith Emmet Smith (rnzaf)

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
( L. Binyon)
( Onthult 13 november 2003 door :
HE Mr.D.Payton Ambassadeur of New Zealand)

http://en.tracesofwa...ster-ME-752.htm

Very touching.

#3    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,748 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

So many of these untold stories from the great wars...and an iconic plane too. Thanks for posting it, I enjoyed reading that! :tu:

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,514 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

I enjoyed that too, thank you for sharing that.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#5    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,243 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

Too many unsung heroes go unnoticed. Great article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users