Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Falcon 9 Reusable: 2nd Test Flight

spacex falcon 9 reusable f9r grasshopper falcon 9 v1.1 reusable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

F9R Flight Test | 1,000m

Video of Falcon 9 Reusable (F9R) taking its second test flight at our rocket development facility. F9R quadrupled its height from its previous test to rise to 1,000m.

Early flights of F9R will take off with legs fixed in the down position. However, we will soon be transitioning to liftoff with legs stowed against the side of the rocket and then extending them just before landing.

The F9R testing program is the next step towards reusability following completion of the Grasshopper program last year. Future testing, including that in New Mexico, will be conducted using the first stage of a F9R as shown here, which is essentially a Falcon 9 v1.1 first stage with legs. F9R test flights in New Mexico will allow us to test at higher altitudes than we are permitted for at our test site in Texas, to do more with unpowered guidance and to prove out landing cases that are more-flight like.

Source: spacexchannel - YouTube

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 19 June 2014 - 10:24 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,448 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

That's cool..

But did-ya-see the crop circles!!!

:w00t: Bet you they're laughing..

#3    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Fantastic. Just watched the test on yt. Finally moving forward again. I'm glad.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#4    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

That's just so impressive to watch.

I've often written the praises of SpaceX, and this seems another good excuse. They're testing a reusable first stage here, along with launching payloads to the International Space Station, and I understand that later this year they'll have the first launch of their super-heavy launch vehicle, the Falcon Heavy. And they're developing a manned spacecraft.

That's an impressive resume for a company which only had its first successful launch in September 2008.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostPeter B, on 03 May 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

I understand that later this year they'll have the first launch of their super-heavy launch vehicle, the Falcon Heavy.
Now that they have the lease of the old Apollo/Shuttle pad 39A at Kennedy they have pushed back that first flight to early next year.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

That was fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users