Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA Image Mars Beach Cut Stone Pillars

mars anomalies alien alien life alien technology extraterrestrial aliens mars anomaly extraterrestrial life mars

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,886 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

You really need to post more often Peri, I think a lot of people really enjoy your informative content. I know I do. Don't be such a stranger man! :tu:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#17    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,840 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostPericynthion, on 03 May 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

The  blocks aren't artificial, and there are no carved dolphins:

Posted Image
source:  http://marsrover.nas...RP2558L3M1.HTML

Posted Image
source:  http://marsrover.nas...UP2560L2M1.HTML

The top image....and (particularly) the bit on the left of the second image........makes me think of petrified wood..

I, too, am sceptical about the dolphins/fish... :) ......perhaps those shapes are bits of petrified bark on the petrified wood...

just a suggestion

#18    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,620 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Petrified wood?  These are Earth images btw

Posted ImagePosted Image

Both are just rock...that looks like petrified wood!

http://www.summitpos...ied-wood/672502

http://scienceblogs....tionist-debunk/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#19    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,840 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

View Postseeder, on 03 May 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

Petrified wood?  These are Earth images btw

Posted Image

http://www.bing.com/...qs=bs&form=QBIR

take your pick...some look more like the images that Peri posted...than others...

#20    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

View Postbee, on 03 May 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

http://www.bing.com/...qs=bs&form=QBIR

take your pick...some look more like the images that Peri posted...than others...

Looks convincing.

Posted Image

#21    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,840 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

View Postzoser, on 03 May 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Looks convincing.

it does make me wonder....

the Nasa image is here... that the OP video used........

http://photojournal....atalog/PIA12452

and in the blurb they say....

This rock has a thick, dark-colored coating that is interesting to scientists because many of the rocks in the surrounding area have the same mysterious dark stuff. The coating could be remnants of a layer that was changed by the action of water and weather or, it could be a layer of rock that melted when a meteor (less than a foot across) impacted Mars, ejecting this rock and others and creating the crater "Concepcion." Knowing its origins will help them understand the history of Mars. Opportunity's mission is to figure out the "ingredients" of this morsel by studying the chemicals in it. Patches of unusual dark material can be seen on top of this rock and on several others in the scene.

Perhaps the...'mysterious dark stuff'...is, as I speculated...petrified bark

#22    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,362 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

View Postdalerivers, on 03 May 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

This NASA image shows cut stone blocks,cement blocks and pillars decorated with what appear
to be dolphins or some sort of fish.
It does?

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#23    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,362 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 03 May 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

Yup . There was a civilization on mars ....
Yeah, exterminated by chemtrailing by the Borgs. Dirty story, this.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#24    Red Moon

Red Moon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Could some of these blocks have been trees once?

Posted Image Go and eat fudge cake!

#25    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,123 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

View Postbee, on 03 May 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

The top image....and (particularly) the bit on the left of the second image........makes me think of petrified wood..
Makes me think of a rock.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#26    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,228 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Still trapped at dial-up speeds, but while I can imagine the possibility of some remains of an edifice I can't agree that it'd be covered in dolphins and the "from another angle" photos really say "look, no dolphins".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#27    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• 4,124 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

View Posttoast, on 03 May 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Yeah, exterminated by chemtrailing by the Borgs. Dirty story, this.

Kids will learn it in school in a few decades at most

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#28    Pericynthion

Pericynthion

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

View Postbee, on 03 May 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

I, too, am sceptical about the dolphins/fish... :) ......perhaps those shapes are bits of petrified bark on the petrified wood...

just a suggestion

Hi Bee,

It's good to see you posting here again.  I was very sorry to read about your recent health troubles.  Hope you're feeling better now!

Yes, I suppose the rock above, nicknamed "Chocolate Hills," does look a bit like petrified wood from that angle.  Luckily, we don't have to make guesses based on what we think the rock looks like. We know what it is because Opportunity spent about two weeks studying it with just about all of its science instruments.  Here's the rover hard at work studying Chocolate Hills:

Posted Image

You can read all the details of the work done near the bottom of the page here:  (link)

Chocolate Hills was studied with the Pancam cameras using multiple filters to highlight different wavelengths of light which can be used to identify materials.  Spots on the rocks were examined up-close using the Microscopic Imager (MI) on the end of the robot arm.  The composition of the rock and coating were analyzed using the arm's Mossbauer spectrometer (MB) and alpha particle x-ray spectrometer (APXS).

It's layered sandstone, coated with blueberry filling.  :)  

The area where Opportunity has been driving at Meridiani Planum has a layer of flat bedrock just under the thin, dusty soil.  The rock is made up of layers of wind-blown sand that built up and were then flooded with water billions of years ago, causing the layers to cement together into a soft, crumbly, layered sandstone.  Opportunity has been finding this bedrock in many places:

The Opportunity Rover's Athena Science Investigation at Meridiani Planum, Mars

Squyres, et. al., Science, 3 December 2004

https://www.sciencem...2/1698.abstract

The Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity has investigated the landing site in Eagle crater and the nearby plains within Meridiani Planum. The soils consist of fine-grained basaltic sand and a surface lag of hematite-rich spherules, spherule fragments, and other granules. Wind ripples are common. Underlying the thin soil layer, and exposed within small impact craters and troughs, are flat-lying sedimentary rocks. These rocks are finely laminated, are rich in sulfur, and contain abundant sulfate salts. Small-scale cross-lamination in some locations provides evidence for deposition in flowing liquid water. We interpret the rocks to be a mixture of chemical and siliciclastic sediments formed by episodic inundation by shallow surface water, followed by evaporation, exposure, and desiccation. Hematite-rich spherules are embedded in the rock and eroding from them. We interpret these spherules to be concretions formed by postdepositional diagenesis, again involving liquid water.

As the paper above mentions, the bedrock often contains embedded spheres of iron-rich hematite which formed in the rocks while they were under water.  These little spheres have been nicknamed blueberries, and Opportunity has found them all over the area.  The sandstone is soft and easily worn away by the wind.  This exposes the blueberries and also reveals the layering in the sandstone.  Some of the sand layers are a bit harder than others and don't wear away quite as quickly.

This photo, taken on sol 2159, shows the blueberries eroding out of Chocolate Hills (and, yes, that does sound like some sort of dessert).  

Posted Image
Source:  http://marsrover.nas...XP2568L7M1.HTML

The crust on the rock isn't bark, but a layer of tightly packed blueberries and fine-grained hematite.  This was once a crack in the sandstone bedrock that filled up with hematite while the area was under water.  After the rock was blasted loose by the meteorite impact, the sandstone on one side of the crack eroded away.  The 'blueberry filling' is harder than the sandstone, so it didn't erode and remains today as a crusty surface on the remaining rock.

Some references:

Coating on Rock Beside a Young Martian Crater
http://www.nasa.gov/...s/pia12970.html

Opportunity Mars Rover mission: Overview and selected results from Purgatory ripple to traverses to Endeavour crater
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 116, E00F15, 2011
http://authors.libra.../1/jgre2895.pdf

Chocolate Hills is an ejecta fragment from Concepción crater, a ~10 m wide, relatively fresh impact crater located on the plains to the south of Victoria (Figures 2, 14, and 15). This rock is a finely layered, sulfate-rich material with hematitic concretions. The rock is partially coated with a mix of basaltic sand and hematitic concretions cemented by fine-grained hematite, based on analysis of MI, APXS, and MB data. The coating is interpreted to be a fracture filling deposit similar in origin to the fins found in Victoria crater and previous locations [Knoll et al., 2008]. Fins are indurated, fracture filling materials that are now raised features due to differential aeolian erosion of the surrounding softer sulfate-rich rocks. The presence of hematite implies that aqueous processes have been operative at least episodically since formation of the sulfate-rich sandstones that underlie Meridiani Planum.

Hematite-Rich Fracture Fill at Meridiani Planum, Mars: Implications for Fluid Chemistry
38th COSPAR Scientific Assembly 2010; 18-25 Jul. 2010; Bremen; Germany
http://nix.nasa.gov/...294961259&No=20

The Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity has been operating at the surface of Mars for over 2100 sols and has driven a distance of approximately 20 km. Throughout the traverse, outcrop rocks with margins and fracture fill resistant to erosion have been imaged and analyzed in detail by the Moessbauer (MB) spectrometer and the Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer (APXS). A recent APXS analysis of an outcrop block excavated by a young impact crater shows a coating with the highest concentration of iron measured by either rover, not including the iron-nickel meteorites. Texturally, this sample (referred to as "Chocolate Hills -Aloya") appears as a cemented collection of partially fragmented "blueberries." With the exception of an elevated sulfur content, the elemental chemistry of this particular sample is entirely consistent with other analyses of hematite spherules at Merdiani Planum. As a result, it is difficult to determine whether this coating, which may have been filling a fracture in outcrop rocks prior to disruption by the impact, was simply an agglomeration of spherules or a result of a more complicated aqueous process.

#29    Pericynthion

Pericynthion

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 03 May 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

You really need to post more often Peri, I think a lot of people really enjoy your informative content. I know I do. Don't be such a stranger man! :tu:

Thanks, S2F.  Wish I could be here more often.  Still swamped at work.  :(   I do enjoy reading everyone's posts, though.  Always a lot of great conversations and a lot of good people here.

#30    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,840 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostPericynthion, on 05 May 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

Hi Bee,

It's good to see you posting here again.  I was very sorry to read about your recent health troubles.  Hope you're feeling better now!

Thanks very much Peri.... I am feeling a lot better.

Yes, I suppose the rock above, nicknamed "Chocolate Hills," does look a bit like petrified wood from that angle.  Luckily, we don't have to make guesses based on what we think the rock looks like. We know what it is because Opportunity spent about two weeks studying it with just about all of its science instruments.  Here's the rover hard at work studying Chocolate Hills:

cheers for your very detailed post.... I accept that the ' rock is a finely layered, sulfate-rich material with hematitic concretions.' now.

The Mars Rover certainly is an amazing piece of machinery and a huge achievement for all the people involved with the project..... :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users