Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Swiss migration quotas: Rift with EU grows

immigration quotas european union switzerland

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,926 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

How far should non-EU member Switzerland follow the bloc's rules - and should the EU punish it if it does not?

The question has become live since the Swiss voted to introduce immigration quotas - contrary to the freedom of movement agreement it had signed with the EU.

And Brussels is aware that its response could have consequences in other countries which may seek to loosen their ties with the European Union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-27244959

Posted Image

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,931 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

"I don't think we will be able to square this circle," said Ivo Scherrer, founder of a new political group called Operation Libero, designed, he says, to offer a different, less isolationist vision for Switzerland.

Why do so many people thinking having controlled borders or not sticking your nose to the business of every country around you is isolationist?

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,151 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostWickian, on 04 May 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Why do so many people thinking having controlled borders or not sticking your nose to the business of every country around you is isolationist?
I think their goal is to eliminate the idea of "countries" and make everyone part of a single government.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,079 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

I had no idea that Switzerland was not part of the EU. Good for you Switzerland!!!

I think if the people, whom the Swiss government works for, decide they want to vote for immigration limits, I say too bad for the EU. Treaties are renegotiated all the time.

I say good for the Swiss people standing up for themselves.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    RoofGardener

RoofGardener

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

• Look upon my Plantpots ye mighty, and despair.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

The EU hates Switzerland anyway , as Switzerland practices a form of direct democracy, where the people really CAN compel their government to adopt - or abandon - specific laws. This is unique on the planet, as far as I am aware. It makes Switzerland the joker in the pack, and highly resistant to the propaganda of the European Project.

"We rejected freedom yesterday, we rejected freedom today and we reject your freedom tomorrow," Sufyan Bada, "moderate" Australian Muslim Leader, commenting on the Charlie Hebdo murders and the concept of "freedom of speech". So when they come for YOUR freedom, you can't claim you didn't know what they stood for.

#6    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,549 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

View Postand then, on 04 May 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

I think their goal is to eliminate the idea of "countries" and make everyone part of a single government.

You got it right there,Single government no democracy just like the old USSR.Personally I hope Switzerland go tell Barroso and his self-styled politburo to go swivel....

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#7    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,876 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

The E.U seems like thugs to me.

"Do what we say or suffer" is what it sounds like :innocent:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#8    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,833 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

The Free movement of people is a corner stone of the European Union. they'll never bend on this issue, so Switzerland will have to take the full brute force coming its way from the EU. i guess we'll see another Swiss vote within 12 months, because the first vote was a close call.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,166 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

The EU will talk big, but given that all the Eurocrats have their bank accounts hidden in Switzerland, they'll do exactly nothing to actually threaten the place.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    Border Collie

Border Collie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

• Schrodinger's dog

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostRoofGardener, on 04 May 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

The EU hates Switzerland anyway , as Switzerland practices a form of direct democracy, where the people really CAN compel their government to adopt - or abandon - specific laws. This is unique on the planet, as far as I am aware. It makes Switzerland the joker in the pack, and highly resistant to the propaganda of the European Project.

Where does this stuff come from!! "The EU hates Switzerland"!! Utter balls and complete fiction.

If Switzerland is "highly resistant to the propoganda of the European project" why did they choose to sign treaties with the EU and adopt provisions from EU legislation to allow it to participate in the EU single market?

#11    Border Collie

Border Collie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

• Schrodinger's dog

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 04 May 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

The E.U seems like thugs to me.

"Do what we say or suffer" is what it sounds like :innocent:

Do a little research before you judge. Nobody forced the Swiss to sign up. They did it because they wanted the benefits. You join a club, even as an associate member, you abide by the rules or leave. Simple.

#12    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,549 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostBorder Collie, on 04 May 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Do a little research before you judge. Nobody forced the Swiss to sign up. They did it because they wanted the benefits. You join a club, even as an associate member, you abide by the rules or leave. Simple.

So the EU threat to impose tariffs and access to a single market which would break higher laws and most if not all International rules is not bullying?

You'll find that it is not quite so easy to leave their little club,just listen to the sound of Dummies being spat in Brussels if you do.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#13    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,876 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:29 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 04 May 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

The Free movement of people is a corner stone of the European Union. they'll never bend on this issue, so Switzerland will have to take the full brute force coming its way from the EU. i guess we'll see another Swiss vote within 12 months, because the first vote was a close call.

"Will have to take the full brute force coming it's way"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That is how the EU acts, do as I say or suffer

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,079 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostBorder Collie, on 04 May 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Are they then to be Forced to remain in the treaty? Or, should dropping out of the one treaty cause for the EU to drop them all in retribution?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,664 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

It was ok when it first started out as a common market, reduce import / export tariffs ,pool resources like several countries building parts of aircraft,& cars etcetera then it went Political and thats when the fertilizer hit the windmill.Now we have a Euro gov't telling us that we can't deport known terrorists, as they may be killed if they go back to their own states.Then there is a huge population movement  from small countries into the big 3 , Germany, France & U.K and 3/4 of these people have no trade expertise to offer so they sponge off the state and cause high unemployment.Then if anyone tries to leave they threaten to block all exports,and to isolate the country leaving, so you either stay and be bullied and ruled by beaurocrats who hate you anyway or get out and have a huge slice of your export market cut off.The laws these guys make are incredible, they even tried to block imports of "straight" bananas.Its a big joke if it wasn't serious.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users