Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mini tornado spotted in UK car park

mini tornado ross withers car park worcester

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,330 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Surprised onlookers gather to look at a swirling 20ft tall cloud of dust and gravel that appeared in a pub car park in Worcester.

http://www.telegraph...r-car-park.html

Posted Image

#2    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Haha that's so cool! I wish one of those little beastly kids ran into it and got covered in dust!

Posted Image

#3    Monkfish

Monkfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• You'll love it here Mulder every day is like Halloween.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Strangely I have been hit twice by one of those things. First time was in Ibiza riding a Suzuki trail bike when I saw this mini tornado coming towards me. I tried to take some evasive action but it was limited as to what I could do as I was travelling along a narrow road at about 90 k.

The thing hit me slightly side on and sent me all over the road. My wife was on the pillion and she was terrified. Well we'd only been married a month. We went all over the road but no other vehicles were close and I managed to keep the bike under control.

Second time in the south west of France crossing a supermarket car park. Dropped all my shopping and had dust, leaves dog do do and everything else in my clothes hair etc. Threw me to the ground with a thud. Everyone else there of course though it was hilarious.

#4    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,765 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

Where I come from, people call them Dust Devils. :devil:

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#5    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostHawkin, on 08 May 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

Dust Devils.

Yup, that's what I've called them too...

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dust_devil

#6    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

They do here too - just poor reporting trying to make something out of nothing

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#7    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

I used to see these while 'hanging out' in our local rec'. They where not as dusty as this one though, their shape was defined by flying litter rather than dust. Just as exciting all the same though.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#8    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• Closed
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

Saw them all the time when I was younger, and living in Texas. Used to run into them, heh.

#9    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

Yah, these aren't too uncommon around here really.

I remember a memorable day I drove through one on the highway. Approaching an overpass, the wind was blowing like mad from the right side of the car. Small branches and trash zipping by. We go under the overpass and emerge on the other side with the wind whipping from the left with just as much force.

Very interesting experience.

Embrace the impossible.

#10    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

I was sat in a lay-by on a hilltop admiring the view,on my motor bike, when the wind suddenly whipped up and down came the very heavy rain straight down the road passing me, it was over in about 2 minutes and I never even got wet.spooky.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#11    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Yeah in Oz we call them that or willy willys. I would have been running through it.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#12    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,403 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostMonkfish, on 07 May 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Strangely I have been hit twice by one of those things. First time was in Ibiza riding a Suzuki trail bike when I saw this mini tornado coming towards me. I tried to take some evasive action but it was limited as to what I could do as I was travelling along a narrow road at about 90 k.

The thing hit me slightly side on and sent me all over the road. My wife was on the pillion and she was terrified. Well we'd only been married a month. We went all over the road but no other vehicles were close and I managed to keep the bike under control.

Second time in the south west of France crossing a supermarket car park. Dropped all my shopping and had dust, leaves dog do do and everything else in my clothes hair etc. Threw me to the ground with a thud. Everyone else there of course though it was hilarious.
I had a similar experience while on vacation on a spanish island. I was at the beach when the mini tornado,
approx 3 times the size of the one shown in the clip,  came from the waterside towards the beach. We made
some jokes about that tornado (the ladies described it as "cute") that passed us in a distance of approx
100 meters. Reaching the beach, the mini tornado catched a rowboat that was placed there and lifted it up
to approx 20 meters and moved it away some 50 meters. So, don`t underestimate the "cute" ones, they can
be very powerfull and dangerous.

Edited by toast, 01 June 2014 - 11:22 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#13    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Wasn't there a bunch of mosquitos that formed what looked like a tornado recently?

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users