Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Octogoat

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 23,000 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

http://www.mirror.co...gs-both-3507780

This extraordinary baby goat has EIGHT legs and both male and female reproductive organs.

"I counted his legs and I thought I was seeing things. Then I called my neighbour to make sure that I am not crazy."

And with video (warning: baby goat doesn't feel so good and may not survive)
http://www.24sata.hr...e-privia-364499

Zoran Paparic says he wishes the kid survives, he would keep him/her as a pet.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,800 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Did the hatopus have anything to do with this?

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,944 posts

• Don't speak to me of "peace" while you are sharpening your blades.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Poor thing. It is true, it doesn't look like it feels too well at all.

What gets me is how this guy calls this poor creature a "miracle of nature", it is anything BUT a miracle. It is an aberration and I think it is a crime to keep this poor thing alive just so the owner can have the novelty of saying he has an eight legged goat.

As a partial quote from Scar from FullMetal Alchemist said:
"You poor thing, you're a sin against nature and your body is in so much pain......"

P.S: Edited to add that this article could also could be a hoax too.

Edited by Ryu, 07 May 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#4    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 23,000 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostRyu, on 07 May 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

Poor thing. It is true, it doesn't look like it feels too well at all.

What gets me is how this guy calls this poor creature a "miracle of nature", it is anything BUT a miracle. It is an aberration and I think it is a crime to keep this poor thing alive just so the owner can have the novelty of saying he has an eight legged goat.

As a partial quote from Scar from FullMetal Alchemist said:
"You poor thing, you're a sin against nature and your body is in so much pain......"

P.S: Edited to add that this article could also could be a hoax too.
No, it’s not a hoax. We have no resources for elaborate hoaxes :D A farmer paying for animatronic goat would be bigger miracle than a goat with eight legs.

I also don’t think farmer wants the baby goat to survive because he could say he owns a freak goat, I think he simply wants a little freak to make it and would keep it as a pet because it beat the odds.
If it’s cruelty or not, only baby goat knows. Maybe it wants to live too. There were human children with underdeveloped conjoined twin and they complained of no actual pain, though they had obvious problems with finding right clothes.

Posted Image

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,944 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 07 May 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

I also don’t think farmer wants the baby goat to survive because he could say he owns a freak goat, I think he simply wants a little freak to make it and would keep it as a pet because it beat the odds.

Umm..didn't you just kind of contradict yourself there? He wants a freak for the attention.

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 07 May 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

If it’s cruelty or not, only baby goat knows. Maybe it wants to live too. There were human children with underdeveloped conjoined twin and they complained of no actual pain, though they had obvious problems with finding right clothes.

Humans, in general, seem to have a better chance of survival ONLY because of our technology and uor genral willingness to devote more resources and time trying to ensure survival. Goats have no technology and often the mother will reject it simply because it seems to sense that it's chances of survival are next to nil and won't bother trying to nurse it; I doubt the poor thing would want to live its life trying to battle with eight legs anyways. These guys have a hard enough time trying to manage four as it is.

Furthermore the strain on its nervous system trying to maneuver with more legs than it is adapted to initially handle is going to invariable cause it pain.

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,422 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Awww....that's sad even to look at. Poor wee goat :(

Posted Image

#7    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 23,000 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostRyu, on 07 May 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

Umm..didn't you just kind of contradict yourself there? He wants a freak for the attention.
Beat the nature’s odds, in case I wasn’t clear enough the first time. No one betted on kid’s survival, though the vet is not optimistic.  
Also, if we are going to read people’s minds, then I assure you I can read my countrymen’s minds much more accurately than you.
When we want a living being to survive, we want that because of that living being. When you want attention you dance drunk on the table. And it better not involve any goats.  

Humans, in general, seem to have a better chance of survival ONLY because of our technology and uor genral willingness to devote more resources and time trying to ensure survival. Goats have no technology and often the mother will reject it simply because it seems to sense that it's chances of survival are next to nil and won't bother trying to nurse it; I doubt the poor thing would want to live its life trying to battle with eight legs anyways. These guys have a hard enough time trying to manage four as it is.

Furthermore the strain on its nervous system trying to maneuver with more legs than it is adapted to initially handle is going to invariable cause it pain.
Nope. Most children with similar problem in India had no resources spent on them, unless someone felt guilty enough to finance the surgery.  
The kid will obviously be bottle fed, since it can’t stand up. Yet. Now I’m in the mood to bet it will damn survive and I’d bottle feed it if I was closer.  

Because I think it's selfish and immoral to whack them all because you think their lives suck. Well, my life sucks too, physical pain included, but I’m living it out of spite. It’s not up to you to decide who has to go, when and how.

Posted Image

#8    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Based on the information I would say it is fraternal twins where the egg did not separate properly

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#9    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Poor kid.

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Is this an evolutionary step, those mountain climbing Goats trying to get the edge on mating rivals by developing Spider-like limbs and abilities to get higher up and be King of the Hill?

Great post Helen :)

Edit: I am getting worried about your relationship with 8 limbed animals Helen, is this the Hatopus of the future? A genetically modified freak for your own head-warming needs.... a Goatapus?

Edited by Junior Chubb, 07 May 2014 - 09:13 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#11    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 23,000 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 07 May 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Is this an evolutionary step, those mountain climbing Goats trying to get the edge on mating rivals by developing Spider-like limbs and abilities to get higher up and be King of the Hill?

Great post Helen :)

Edit: I am getting worried about your relationship with 8 limbed animals Helen, is this the Hatopus of the future? A genetically modified freak for your own head-warming needs.... a Goatapus?
Goatapus is not half as disgusting as the Hatopus, so I’m keeping the Hatopus.

Now, do you all mind if I rant for a while?
Poor kid, indeed, I’m sorry it was malformed. Or to be more precise, I’m sorry its sibling didn’t form right and they merged like that.
Just to make it clear: I agree that if kid rejects milk then it would be wrong to let it suffer any longer.
But if it has appetite, it might live and grow strong enough to stand on its own. Why wouldn’t it live with 8 legs? Who can tell how many more or less legs make us lose our will to live? Isn’t that personal? Some people want to die after losing a leg, others climb Everest on prosthetic legs... there’s no rule.
Yes, I know I just mixed people and animals, as well as excess and loss of legs, but what are we but animals with too complicated social rituals.  

What annoys me... no, it horrifies me that killing an animal (and now people too) is the first thought as soon as there’s any problem evident. Yes, underdeveloped conjoined twin is damn serious issue and may kill an animal, or child, but what happened to giving a chance first? Trying to help first? Why is everyone giving up so easily these days?
Euthanasia should be the last resort, not routine first choice.

Posted Image

#12    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 08 May 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Goatapus is not half as disgusting as the Hatopus, so I’m keeping the Hatopus.

Now, do you all mind if I rant for a while?
Poor kid, indeed, I’m sorry it was malformed. Or to be more precise, I’m sorry its sibling didn’t form right and they merged like that.
Just to make it clear: I agree that if kid rejects milk then it would be wrong to let it suffer any longer.
But if it has appetite, it might live and grow strong enough to stand on its own. Why wouldn’t it live with 8 legs? Who can tell how many more or less legs make us lose our will to live? Isn’t that personal? Some people want to die after losing a leg, others climb Everest on prosthetic legs... there’s no rule.
Yes, I know I just mixed people and animals, as well as excess and loss of legs, but what are we but animals with too complicated social rituals.  

What annoys me... no, it horrifies me that killing an animal (and now people too) is the first thought as soon as there’s any problem evident. Yes, underdeveloped conjoined twin is damn serious issue and may kill an animal, or child, but what happened to giving a chance first? Trying to help first? Why is everyone giving up so easily these days?
Euthanasia should be the last resort, not routine first choice.

Fair point well made Helen. I would think in most of the cases you have mentioned people are doing what is easiest for themselves, removing the problem. I cannot agree with you more, the chance of life should be given but often the people making the decisions are making them from a different point of view to ourselves. To a farmer a Goat is a piece of stock, a deformed goat is damaged stock and it gets chucked out with the trash, emotions are removed from the situation.

BTW its refreshing to read one of your rants without getting banned at the end of it. ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#13    amaterasu

amaterasu

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

• "Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!"

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostQuaentum, on 07 May 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

Based on the information I would say it is fraternal twins where the egg did not separate properly

Fraternal twins develop from two individual eggs fertilised by two individual sperm..

The most likely theory for this poor creature is that it had started out as an embryonic twin pregnancy and one embryo has partially enveloped the other creating a parasitic twin.

* Group logo removed, please see rule 3i *

#14    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,944 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

You know, I just watched the video and it is really heart breaking. This thing made no attempts to move and I doubt it is even able to move any of its limbs even a tiny bit, it wouldn't even move its head. All it can do is lay in a limp pile, breathing weakly.

This is hardly humane.

#15    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 23,000 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

You can’t just kill anyone who’s not hopping merrily around, you have to try to help them first.
Sick or seriously injured animals and people are not a pretty sight but the answer is certainly not killing them right away, so they don’t disturb you.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users