Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

4-year-old's NDE is turned in to hit movie

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Colton Burpo described a visit to heaven during a vivid near-death experience following a burst appendix.

After he had woken up from surgery, the then four-year-old told his father, a preacher, that he had visited heaven and described in remarkable detail how he had met up with the Virgin Mary, John the Baptist and even Jesus, who he described as having "a bright smile".

Read More: http://www.unexplain...in-to-hit-movie

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Jyre Cayce

Jyre Cayce

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

All speculative, he could have heard is parents talking about his dead sister, subconsciously picked up clues, and his dad is a preacher, of course the kid "went to heaven." Wait......maybe it is true.

Edited by Jyre Cayce, 08 May 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#3    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

A 4 year old's account??? WTF?? Must be a pretty smart (coerced) 4 year old, he also left out the part where he talked to Barney and saw Santa Claus also.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#4    Cionaodh

Cionaodh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• "Workings of the Human body is an analogy for the workings of the Universe"

"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Nothing to prove this is false either. i find NDE's very strange and enjoy reading about them. some of the stories are truly amazing. either way we will know for sure one day

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,027 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostJyre Cayce, on 08 May 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

All speculative, he could have heard is parents talking about his dead sister, subconsciously picked up clues, and his dad is a preacher, of course the kid "went to heaven." Wait......maybe it is true.
We will never know unless it happens to us but putting the anecdote out there into the "body of evidence" may mean something to someone one day that we cannot fathom with what little we know today, so I say let them tell their story and suspend judgement until we have something solid to work with in our own lives or in discoveries of science.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#6    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Personally, I don't really believe in Heaven and hell.  I do however believe in different dimensions within our universe, which I think may explain his experience a little better for me.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#7    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Well I can understand people not believing this, but to make a joke about it and totally dismiss it I think is probably not the smartest.

You don't know me and I'd get why you don't believe me, but I'm positive that it did happen.  

I'm sure I won't convince the disbelievers, but perhaps just open your mind a bit.

:)

#8    Bean85

Bean85

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Mac E  AGREED!

Edited by Bean85, 08 May 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#9    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 08 May 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

We will never know unless it happens to us but putting the anecdote out there into the "body of evidence" may mean something to someone one day that we cannot fathom with what little we know today, so I say let them tell their story and suspend judgement until we have something solid to work with in our own lives or in discoveries of science.
I'm not discounting the report.  I always find it interesting that everyone with a near death experience goes to Heaven and not Hell.  Isn't there a number in the Bible stating that only a certain number of people will be admitted?

#10    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Wouldn't God revealing himself to him go against what Christianity is about? The idea of you not having evidence, you have to have faith instead, despite the lack of evidence?

#11    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

If there is no afterlife, or "alternate" life after death, we will never know if he was right.  We all die of something, as my grandmother always used to say.  It would be nice if the life we are living now isn't the only chance we get.

#12    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Awesome, NDEs are one of my favorite topics! I'm going to go make some popcorn. Be right back.

#13    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,794 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostJyre Cayce, on 08 May 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Then on the flip side of the coin, it's speculative on you're part about him hearing his parents talk and subconsciously picking up clues.
Or any other speculation that counters the kid's experience. Sounds like a stalemate.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#14    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,794 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 08 May 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

If there is no afterlife, or "alternate" life after death, we will never know if he was right.  We all die of something, as my grandmother always used to say.  It would be nice if the life we are living now isn't the only chance we get.
Some believe that we just die and become part of the earth and that's it. But if we do have a lifeforce that leaves the body when our flesh
body dies, we will definitely know for certain. The experience may not be exactly what is written in certain doctrines, but similar.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#15    BlackBearWolf

BlackBearWolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

I find it curious that his father is a preacher. Its probable that he was told stories of heaven and Jesus since birth thus engrained in his subconscious. It would be more compelling if a isolated tribe of people had these same nde without prior knowledge of Christianity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users