Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Acid-spewing bug inspires ATM defense

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Researchers are turning to the natural world to help find new ways of tackling cash machine thieves.

The bombardier beetle possesses a highly potent defense mechanism that is sure to discourage even the most determined of predators. When the insect is threatened it mixes together two chemicals stored in chambers within its own body to produce a toxic acidic spray that can be spewed on to its enemies.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...res-atm-defense

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    paperdyer

paperdyer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Sounds great for the spur of the moment heist.  However anyone who planned an ATM robbery would hide his identity.  All they need to do is wear a protective face mask. Protects both.

Edited by paperdyer, 09 May 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#3    Paranomaly

Paranomaly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• If you want to know the truth follow your instincts and listen to your conscience.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Watch a young kid hit one and get sprayed....

#4    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Honestly, I thought acid spewing creatures were just Hollywood creations.

With that said, I'm sure it will be more entertaining to watch those surveillance cameras from now on. Hehe.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#5    H132

H132

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

• The reason you don't know the truth is because you don't want to know. And trust me; You really don't want to know.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

Wow, this is stupid.  I can envision multiple ways around this and some that would even involving injuring innocent bystanders.  For example, one can force someone else at gunpoint to open it for them.  Or another is just to open it using protective gear.  Even tracking devices are useless since an entire machine can be encased with something that scrambles the signal making it untracable.

There is really no way to defend against these thefts.  The only option is to detect a break-in and as a response, something destroys the cash inside the machine.  The paper it's printed on is useless and insured by the FDIC and can always be replaced.  What would be the point in attempting the theft of a machine only to have the money destroyed before even opening it?

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,073 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostH132, on 10 May 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Wow, this is stupid.  I can envision multiple ways around this and some that would even involving injuring innocent bystanders.  For example, one can force someone else at gunpoint to open it for them.  Or another is just to open it using protective gear.  Even tracking devices are useless since an entire machine can be encased with something that scrambles the signal making it untracable.

There is really no way to defend against these thefts.  The only option is to detect a break-in and as a response, something destroys the cash inside the machine.  The paper it's printed on is useless and insured by the FDIC and can always be replaced.  What would be the point in attempting the theft of a machine only to have the money destroyed before even opening it?
Well thought out and said, there will be innocent victims and acid that can be "triggered" by a malfunction would be tragic and an unwarranted risk.  Destroy the money instead, that is a much more sensible deterrent. :yes:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:48 AM

So, no lawyers in Switzerland?

#8    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Why MAKE a security system when you could just train the insects to keep guard? It would save money, and you wouldn't have to worry about any malfunctioning equipment!

What? A Gummybun can dream!

#9    LimeGelatin

LimeGelatin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• We were meant to live for so much more...

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Oh, I just can't wait till I hear about the thief winning a lawsuit over how he was slightly blinded by the acid that prevented him from being able to steal and how he will for ever be emotionally scarred by the incident... -LoLzzz

Edited by LimeGelatin, 07 June 2014 - 02:29 PM.

Are we there yet?

#10    OptimisticSkeptic

OptimisticSkeptic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Many jurisdictions in the States have laws against booby traps meant to repel intruders from homes.  This is certainly a booby trap but since many ATMs are owned by banks, our federal gubmint might just give them a blanket pass.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Hebrews 4:12, King James Version

#11    Rei4ever

Rei4ever

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Live Fearing... or Die Trying...

I don't care!!! - Lockdown TF4

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

Dumb invention I mean there is "Pepper Spray" why Acid? Scientist should have originality...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users