Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

School introduces 'no mornings' policy

hampton court house guy holloway classes afternoon lazy teenagers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,326 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hampton Court House becomes the first school in the country to allow sixth-formers to start classes in the afternoon to get a lie-in, but headmaster Guy Holloway denies it is simply an attempt to satisfy "lazy" teenagers.

http://www.telegraph...-teenagers.html

Posted Image

#2    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

I gotta agree with his reasoning here. Nothing worse on a developing mind than trying to cram algebra into it when it's still waking up.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#3    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

What's a sixth-former?

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#4    Kenemet

Kenemet

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

I'm not a fan of the idea.  We'll see how it works out.

#5    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,402 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

View Postrashore, on 09 May 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

What's a sixth-former?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sixth_form

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#6    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,245 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

View Posttoast, on 09 May 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Thanks toast :) So that would be juniors and seniors in high school here in the states then.

I'm not too sure this is a good idea. Teens are up all night, sleep all day, lol. So instead of bleary eyed in the morning, you will get bleary eyed at 1:30 in the afternoon.

Edited by rashore, 09 May 2014 - 04:09 PM.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#7    preacherman76

preacherman76

Ntwadumela- He who greets with fire

• 12,644 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

I can kinda understand the idea. Problem is this in no way helps them to become prepared for the real world, where most jobs start between 6 and 8 am. If your kid is having trouble getting up in the morning, then put their butts to bed at a decent hour. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#8    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,799 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

Lets hope there future employers are so flexible if they fancy a lie in.

Come to think of it why are teenagers so tired nowadays?  I with thousands of others went through school, college and onto work starting a 8-8:30am.  Commute to school, 45 mins walking, college 1 hour by train and work has always varied.  Is this a new biological thing?

There is nothing biological in my mind, it is self discipline to get your butt to bed early if you have an early start.

Posted Image

#9    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Not sure if I'm just disappointed with the lack of discipline in today's youth and the the education system's willingness to pander to them, or if I'm just super-jealous that I didn't get to start school during lunchtime.

#10    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Biologically the teenage brain needs more sleep then an adult brain. So I am all for this. As people get older they need less sleep and shift to morning people. ( just like how alot of old people wake up at like 5, do they think they did that when they where teenagers?)

There was one study where a school pushed back its opening time only an hour and grade+ attendance improved on average. I forget what grades they pushed the time back for. An alas i forget what study it was so people will have to take my word for it :su

And I have to add that when kids go to college one of the first things they do is schedule class so that they do not have to wake up early. But we do not count that as a discipline issue or say that they will not be prepared to wake up for their real jobs. So why should we count the rest of schools with diffrent standards?

Edited by spartan max2, 09 May 2014 - 06:19 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#11    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

I like seeing a school unafraid to go against established traditional norms! It's what we need. I don't think late classes will have any effect on their work in the future, except an improvement in their grades may change their future.

I remember college students who tried to pick late classes at university.

I chuckled at the description of the school. Here in the states we like to advertise things differently, 1000% better than they really are, not tell it like it is, so this description was "refreshing?"

"The Good Schools Guide describes Hampton Court House as the “ideal place to grow and learn for those who will thrive on the relaxed and civilised values of the place”, adding: “Hitherto seen as a refuge for those who couldn’t get on elsewhere – sometimes the obstructive or wayward – but this is likely to change now.”

"1000%"? Sorry, but I had math in the morning in high school.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 May 2014 - 06:37 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#12    theotherguy

theotherguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,982 posts

• Just trying to get my post count up...

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Oh, man. I wish my school did that. I still do. Wasn't college supposed to be about creating a schedule that works for you? If so, why are all my required classes at 9:00 in the morning? And before anybody accuses me of being lazy or undisciplined, I'm more than happy to put in a full day and more, as long as it doesn't start before 10:00. I'd rather be cheerful and productive later in the day than bitter and cranky and productive earlier in the day. If that's not how the real world works, I'll live in my own fantasy world.

Let me put it this way. What time do you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to participate in life? Wake up two and a half hours before that every day for the next five months. If you wake up at 6:00, start waking up at 3:30. Does that sound like fun? You can even get weekends off!

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  --Isaac Asimov

Conspiracy theorists are created by the government to distract us from what they're really doing!!!! Or not.

#13    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,494 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

If I was a student there I would have hated that. It is bad enough having the best part of your day being consumed by a job let alone school.
I would prefer to just get the school day over and done with so I can have whatever is left of my day to do other things.

#14    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,001 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

No kidding, Ryu. I'm not a morning person at all, but I'd rather work first shift than second, which is basically what this is.

#15    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,605 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

So instead of teaching kids to go to sleep sooner if they have to wake up early, let them sleep in and ignore responsibility if they don't feel like it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users