Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Elf Whisperer of Iceland

ragnhildur jónsdóttir elves

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,032 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Ragnhildur Jónsdóttir wants you to know that she’s not crazy. She’s gone to a doctor—two, actually—to make sure. She just wants to save the elves. After all, they’re her friends.

“Of course lots of people look at you a certain way, like they’re wondering, ‘Are you crazy?’” Since she was a little girl, Jónsdóttir has had the ability to see and speak with elves. That means that, since she was a little girl, Jónsdóttir has been dealing with our side-eyed judgement.

http://news.yahoo.co...--politics.html

Posted Image

#2    jamesjr191

jamesjr191

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

• S*** happens, again and again.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Shes a nut :w00t:  or a genius at drumming up tourism for her village!

I created the Sound of Madness.

Wrote the book on pain.

Somehow I'm still here,

To explain,

When you gonna wake up and fight... for yourself?

#3    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,208 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

For some reason I couldn't open the link. I'll try again later.

I remember hearing a while back that in Iceland it's a fairly common held belief. I don't recall the percentages though. At first I thought it was an 'Onion' type news article so I checked it out, and it's true. They even have an 'Elf School' where they'll teach you about the 13 different types.

eta: "In one 1998 survey, 54.4 percent of Icelanders said they believed in the existence of elves."

Source and more on Jónsdóttir: http://www.theatlant...e-elves/280783/

Edited by Likely Guy, 09 May 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#4    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

She should take medication that lowers Dopamine levels in the Brain.

Then look for the Elves.

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#5    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 09 May 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

She should take medication that lowers Dopamine levels in the Brain.

Then look for the Elves.
You shouldn’t write prescriptions on the Internet. It’s more dangerous than seeing elves.
In fact, seeing elves is not dangerous at all.
Medicating people because they are not boring enough for your taste is.

Some things exist, who knows what it is, energies, seen as archetypes... it doesn't mean they are physically there but it doesn't mean people who are willing to sense them are insane.
It's probably more insane to believe we're conscious just so that we could perceive how there's nothing but endless circles of births, eating, ****ting and dying. And so on, I'm not even inspired for a rant.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,206 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

She’s gone to a doctor—two, actually—to make sure.
http://news.yahoo.co...--politics.html

Until she is a danger to others, the doctors will say she is not crazy. here is another reason why they can not put her away:

According to the director of the Icelandic Association of Psychologists, Halla Þorvaldsdóttir, a lot of people have been referred to the hospital from healthcare centers.
“These are people with common mental issues such as anxiety disorders, depression and melancholy. There are little or no resources for these people in the healthcare centers and so they are referred to the outpatient psychiatric ward. Therapy should be the first treatment for most types of depression and anxiety, as indicated in clinical guidelines, not medication,” Halla told mbl.is.

http://icelandreview...sychiatric-ward

Edited by freetoroam, 09 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

I wonder what depression and anxiety have to do with seeing elves. It takes psychosis for elaborate hallucinations. Full blown psychosis wouldn't be missed by two doctors. I hope. If you're going to have a sceptic fest here, do it right.

Posted Image

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,471 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 09 May 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

I wonder what depression and anxiety have to do with seeing elves. It takes psychosis for elaborate hallucinations. Full blown psychosis wouldn't be missed by two doctors. I hope. If you're going to have a sceptic fest here, do it right.

Anxiety attacks are your body overreacting to a perceived stimulus.  By that logic, a hallucination wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Also, reading the article.

Jónsdóttir says. “And people come from all over the world. I’m not trying to convince anyone to see things the way I do. I ask them to open up their heart and let their inner child out while listening to these stories. It’s much more fun. They don’t have to think, ‘How can an elf live in a rock?’ Then when they go back to their hotel they can use their grown-up logic.

She seems more like a local storyteller who lives her gimmick more than a woman who actually thinks she talks to elves.

I'd think she's got herself a niche and plays it up to help her income.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,032 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 May 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

I remember hearing a while back that in Iceland it's a fairly common held belief. I don't recall the percentages though. At first I thought it was an 'Onion' type news article so I checked it out, and it's true. They even have an 'Elf School' where they'll teach you about the 13 different types.

eta: "In one 1998 survey, 54.4 percent of Icelanders said they believed in the existence of elves."

Source and more on J&oacute;nsd&oacute;ttir: http://www.theatlant...e-elves/280783/
We actually had a  thread about the "Elf School" -
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=257159

And another one "Endanagered Elf habitat delays road work" -
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=259773

Posted Image

#10    Astra-

Astra-

Xanadu

• 2,406 posts

• The key to success is to never stop learning.

The key to failure is to think you know it all.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

Well, she's not hurting anyone. Maybe (in her head) it's a pleasant place to be...... The grand kids would certainly love her. She should consider writing children's story books.

Posted Image

#11    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,208 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostAstra00, on 10 May 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

Well, she's not hurting anyone. Maybe (in her head) it's a pleasant place to be...... The grand kids would certainly love her. She should consider writing children's story books.

Exactly, it doesn't hurt anyone. Unless, redirecting a road to protect a 'habitat' harms anyone. Heck they even relocated a 30 ton stone for new road works. From the photos I've seen of Iceland, it's truly a magical place. Leave them and their elves alone.

#12    Astra-

Astra-

Xanadu

• 2,406 posts

• The key to success is to never stop learning.

The key to failure is to think you know it all.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 10 May 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Exactly, it doesn't hurt anyone. Unless, redirecting a road to protect a 'habitat' harms anyone. Heck they even relocated a 30 ton stone for new road works. From the photos I've seen of Iceland, it's truly a magical place. Leave them and their elves alone.
Yes, redirecting roads and relocating stones weighing tons is just a tad over the top lol....but hey! each to their own :)

Posted Image

#13    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostScheming B, on 09 May 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Anxiety attacks are your body overreacting to a perceived stimulus.  By that logic, a hallucination wouldn't be much of a stretch.
Oh, I know. It’s not “I heard about it”, it’s “I know”.
But there’s huge difference between overreacting, sensitivity and psychosis.
Seeing a random shadow and having your brain read it as a person that’s attacking you and reacting appropriately to your interpretation instead of to actual reality is not particularly sane but people can rationalize it instantly. Psychosis prevents you from rationalizing it, ever.
Sensing the atmosphere of a place, of all things present is just spiritual, poetic if you will, mode of our brains. We can choose if we’ll turn it on or shut it down. Anxiety can crank it up or shut it down, depends on zillion factors, but there’s no brigade of sceptics that can separate me from my complete experience of this existence. After all, is there a sceptic that was never drawn to or away from a place or a person without any apparent reason?

Also, reading the article.

She seems more like a local storyteller who lives her gimmick more than a woman who actually thinks she talks to elves.

I'd think she's got herself a niche and plays it up to help her income.
Often it’s both. Things and people are rarely monochrome.

It doesn’t really matter, in my opinion. What matters is that elves are still there and will be there at least for as long as there’s someone to see them ;)

Posted Image

#14    cyclopes500

cyclopes500

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Iceland has a small very isolated population. Probably a lot of inbreeding has occurred. There's a medical condition called Synaesthesia where one of the 5 recognized human senses also communicates with the parts used to interpret the signals from another. People see words they hear for example. If its tapped into the 6th, telepathy/ESP, then she and the others could be either seeing something which is really there, something that might have allowed people in prehistory to see the little people, dead ancestors, gods etc, or distorted telepathic visual signals of stuff seen and transmitted by others.

#15    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

View Postcyclopes500, on 11 May 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Iceland has a small very isolated population. Probably a lot of inbreeding has occurred. There's a medical condition called Synaesthesia where one of the 5 recognized human senses also communicates with the parts used to interpret the signals from another. People see words they hear for example. If its tapped into the 6th, telepathy/ESP, then she and the others could be either seeing something which is really there, something that might have allowed people in prehistory to see the little people, dead ancestors, gods etc, or distorted telepathic visual signals of stuff seen and transmitted by others.

Yeah, I've thought about that before, I always thought it must be a bit more of an emphasis on researching your spouse's family tree there, and the whole patronymic naming system sounds like it would just complicate things even more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users