Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Reason for ghosts not being in your area?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Do you think the reason some people havent seen ghosts is because of the short age that people have been occupying the area they're living in.  lets compare the south of england compared to america, the united states of america is only 238 years old, while the area that im living has been occupied for alottttt longer. so many people i know have had encounters of the paranormal kind.

America was inhabited before the english now americans arrived there and they were quite spiritual and claimed to be in touch with family spirits and other spiritual things, but i wonder if you cant experience these ghosts if your not related to them some how. im not saying that every person who dies would inhabit the place they died but in rare cases maybe, and if your history of inhabitance is short then your guaranteed to not have any sightings.

i will give you a short history of where i live and then you can compare it to where you live.

Wareham

The town's strategic setting has made it an important settlement throughout its long history. Excavations at the nearby Bestwall site have produced evidence of transient early Mesolithic activity dating to around 9000 BCE. At the same site four large Neolithic pits containing worked flint and pottery fragments dating to 3700 BCE were found. Three greenstone axeheads discovered also probably date to this period. Flint working and potting continued throughout the Bronze Age. The first house discovered dates to the mid 15th century BCE.[1]

http://en.wikipedia....Wareham,_Dorset

for more info as theirs lots

Poole

The Poole Harbour area has been inhabited for at least 2,500 years.[3] During the Iron Age, Celtic people known as the Durotriges lived in Dorset, particularly around Wareham, five miles (8 km) to the west. In the 3rd century BC, these Celtic people moved from hilltop settlements, such as Maiden Castle and Badbury Rings on the chalk downs to the north, to the lower vales and heathland around the River Frome and Poole Harbour. This marshy area may have lent its name to the Durotriges, which means "water dwellers". The Durotriges engaged in cross-channel trading at Poole with the Veneti, a seafaring tribe from Brittany.[2] The earliest significant archaeological find in the harbour is the Poole Logboat, a 10 metres (33 ft) boat made from a single oak tree and dating to 295 BC.[4] During that time, the harbour was shallower than it is today and any settlement would now be under water.[5]
Poole was one of a number of harbouring sites along the south coast of Britain where the Romans landed during their conquest of Britain the 1st century.[3] The Roman Emperor, Vespasian, brought the Second Augustan Legion to the harbour in 43 AD and founded Hamworthy, an area just west of the modern town centre. The Romans and continued to use the harbour throughout the occupation.[6]

http://en.wikipedia....istory_of_Poole

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,199 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Another good reason would be .... ghosts don't exist.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 10 May 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

Another good reason would be .... ghosts don't exist.

The first known landing in Australia by Europeans was by Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon in 1606. Other Dutch navigators explored the western and southern coasts in the 17th century, and dubbed the continent New Holland.[1] Macassan trepangers visited Australia's northern coasts after 1720, possibly earlier.[2][3] Other European explorers followed until, in 1770, Lieutenant James Cook charted the East Coast of Australia[4] for Britain and returned with accounts favouring colonisation at Botany Bay (now in Sydney), New South Wales.
A First Fleet of British ships arrived at Botany Bay in January 1788[5] to establish a penal colony. In the century that followed, the British established other colonies on the continent, and European explorers ventured into its interior. Indigenous Australians were greatly weakened and their numbers diminished by introduced diseases and conflict with the colonists during this period.

Edited by Ever Learning, 10 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#4    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

One morning in 1953, an apprentice plumber, named Harry Martindale, was installing a new central heating system in the cellars of the Treasurer's House when he heard the distinctive sound of a distant horn. He thought it strange that the sound should reach him so far underground, but carried on working up his ladder. The horn continued to sound, each time appearing a little closer.
Suddenly a huge great cart horse emerged straight through the brick wall of the cellar! Harry fell off his ladder in shock and, as he crouched on the floor, he was able to see clearly that the horse was being ridden by a dishevelled Roman soldier. He was slowly followed by several fellows, dressed in rough green tunics and plumed helmets, carrying short swords and spears. They all looked down in a dejected manner as they continued towards the Minster, apparently on their knees! As they reached the centre of the room, however, they emerged into a recently excavated area and it became clear that they were walking on the old Roman road buried 15 inches below the surface!
Harry scrambled frantically up the cellar steps to safety of the ground floor. Here he was met by the house's curator who exclaimed, "You've seen the Roman soldiers, haven't you?" Apparently the ghostly troop had been seen several times in the past and impressive descriptions have been forthcoming from a number of witnesses. Sadly, the cellar is not open to the public, so further sightings seem unlikely.

Edited by Ever Learning, 10 May 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,199 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostEver Learning, on 10 May 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

The first known landing in Australia by Europeans was by Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon in 1606. Other Dutch navigators explored the western and southern coasts in the 17th century, and dubbed the continent New Holland.[1] Macassan trepangers visited Australia's northern coasts after 1720, possibly earlier.[2][3] Other European explorers followed until, in 1770, Lieutenant James Cook charted the East Coast of Australia[4] for Britain and returned with accounts favouring colonisation at Botany Bay (now in Sydney), New South Wales.
A First Fleet of British ships arrived at Botany Bay in January 1788[5] to establish a penal colony. In the century that followed, the British established other colonies on the continent, and European explorers ventured into its interior. Indigenous Australians were greatly weakened and their numbers diminished by introduced diseases and conflict with the colonists during this period.
As fascinating as my Nation's history is, it's a poor refudiation of my premise.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#6    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 10 May 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

As fascinating as my Nation's history is, it's a poor refudiation of my premise.
Refudiate  raises the question about what is really a word. The answer for new coinages is usually thrashed out gradually between the experts who record, guard, or teach the language and the rest of us who regularly use the language every day. Refudiate,  however, clearly appears to be an accidental blend of refute  and repudiate,  rather than a deliberate coinage that fills a perceived need for a new word. Examples of this error go back to the late 19th century and reoccur from time to time. When, in 2010, controversial political figure Sarah Palin used the word in several interviews and on the social-networking website Twitter, it caused an uproar, and the online discussion about the word's validity went viral, but then quickly died down. The word remains generally unacceptable in formal writing.

its relevent to my question, theres historical sightings through out the ages of the same haunting. your answer was the better reason would be that they dont exist, my point was that your opinion would be based on living in a place with only recent history taking place.

sorry only defined your word because of other forum thread, im getting mixed up

Edited by Ever Learning, 10 May 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I like "refudiate."  May I add it to my vocabulary?

There are certain neighborhoods in Ho Chi Minh City and other areas reputed to be teeming with ghosts from the American war.  Let me tell you if you own real estate here such a story is something you absolutely do not want.  In the States is seems to increase interest in a property: not here.  Vietnamese are very afraid of ghosts.

Personally I think it's mostly people wanting attention, inventing stories and then over time creating a false memory.  A few times in my life I have had to be stern with children starting such stories.  And of course stories get detail and scarier with each retelling until before long several people share a false memory.  Some people of course very much want something exciting like that to happen in their lives, and they tend to see to it they get what they want.

It of course conflicts with Buddhist eschatology, which says that within at least of month after death the spirit inhabits the womb of a pregnant woman and in due time is reborn.  Ghosts dating from more than forty years ago should not exist.  The only ghosts still around would be evil people who died violently, and even they should by now be in one or another of the hells Buddhist lore provides.

It also of course conflicts with Communist materialism, who have no truck with superstition.

#8    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 May 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

I like "refudiate."  May I add it to my vocabulary?

There are certain neighborhoods in Ho Chi Minh City and other areas reputed to be teeming with ghosts from the American war.  Let me tell you if you own real estate here such a story is something you absolutely do not want.  In the States is seems to increase interest in a property: not here.  Vietnamese are very afraid of ghosts.

Personally I think it's mostly people wanting attention, inventing stories and then over time creating a false memory.  A few times in my life I have had to be stern with children starting such stories.  And of course stories get detail and scarier with each retelling until before long several people share a false memory.  Some people of course very much want something exciting like that to happen in their lives, and they tend to see to it they get what they want.

It of course conflicts with Buddhist eschatology, which says that within at least of month after death the spirit inhabits the womb of a pregnant woman and in due time is reborn.  Ghosts dating from more than forty years ago should not exist.  The only ghosts still around would be evil people who died violently, and even they should by now be in one or another of the hells Buddhist lore provides.

It also of course conflicts with Communist materialism, who have no truck with superstition.
I think if you have had personal experiences that cant be ignored as more than one person were a witness and before the incident you wernt even talking about the same subject or thinking about it, then its fair to personally assume there must be some truth to it. or if you come across a historical haunting by chance and then find out later that others have experienced the same haunting then you can assume theres truth to it.
children do tell tales but that doesnt mean that if they encountered a ghost, that it didnt exist. that being said i would say the same thing to a child and say that they didnt exist as would be easier for them in life to belief in things that way.

#9    Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

So then, how do you explain the accounts of people in America who buy a new construction home and claim it is haunted?  Places like California are apparently full of ghosts.

#10    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

View Postphantasia, on 10 May 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

So then, how do you explain the accounts of people in America who buy a new construction home and claim it is haunted?  Places like California are apparently full of ghosts.
i wouldnt know the reason why a place is haunted, just that the chance of the same varibles happening more in an area would increase in time. native americans could have lived in the same area or depending if you see time as linear it could be hauntings from people who have died in the future. theres some occurences when people see a ghost and it sees them and they are just as shocked. might not even be ghosts but overlapping of future and past. saw a documentry the other day saying that time is an illusion and everything has already happened lol

Edited by Ever Learning, 10 May 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

I hear about these personal experiences with several witnesses; the stories are hearsay.  I can't question the witnesses and usually they are dead.  I'm not saying there are no ghosts; I'm saying other more likely things prevent my getting worked up about them.

#12    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

View Postphantasia, on 10 May 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Might have something to do with the land rather than the 4 walls that occupy that 'space' on it. Could be leylines ( earth lines, underground streams, a vortex, certain kind of rock bed with lime or quartz ) maybe it was a sacral site.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#13    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,272 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

It might have something to do with how the living interpret ghosts rather than the ghosts themselves. Like how in different places in the world, ghosts act differently. Or like the OP, some places have more or less ghosts.
I've noticed while haunt mapping some ghost trends sometimes. Areas that are more heavy with cemetery hauntings but almost zero other kinds of hauntings. Or lots of haunted buildings and no cemeteries. I think the great conflagration years of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan show a ghost story trend that I think is mostly based off the Chicago fire.
I've noticed that cryptid stories can drift depending on immigration too- like people from countries with werewolf stories, where they settle in there tends to be more werewolves, that sort of thing. So perhaps how the U.S. is haunted has something to do with the kinds of folks that settled in the area to some extent.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#14    wingyflam

wingyflam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

You often here people saying they have been in contact with people that were born maybe 500 years ago. But nobody seems to contact those people that were born 5.000 years ago.I I wonder why.

#15    MisterSuperGod

MisterSuperGod

[]\[] [] []/[]

• 1,678 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

If everyone, the world over that has died became a ghost, we would have no space left to call our own.

i'm not sharing my bed with a ghost!
Several beautiful women at the same time, yes.
Ghost, no!

MisterSuperGod is still Misanthropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users