Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has this happened to anyone else?

NB08

Hi,

I am new to this board and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I live in British Columbia, two nights ago my son and I were watching a video on the computer when my son told me to turn it down that he heard something. I paused the video and then I heard it as well. Something big was first running then walking on our roof. My roof is flat and there is a place where you could climb up to get onto my roof, but would not be easy. We have heard that several other people in the town that I live in have had the same thing happen to them. I did phone the police and they came out and checked around the property but could not find anything. We don't have bears here.

Has something like that happened to anyone else? Thanks.

never understimate animals.. if a human could get on your roof so could a critter.

have you ever had cats romp through the house at 3 am? it sounds like a herd of elephants, no telling what a hefty racoon would sound like scampering across your roof

• Like 3

I do have raccoons and squirrels in my yard, I have heard them up on the roof, this was something much bigger than that. This had a lot of weight.

i can only suggest a racoon or similar type animal. they can be pretty damned heavy btw

Growing up we had lots of raccoons at my parents house,we would leave dry food and water for our cats for when they were outside. I seen one night a family of raccoons come to the cat dishes and the one was huge, he was almost the size of a medium size dog. So yes I know how large they can get. I have one here but he is the size of a small dog. My walls vibrated from the footsteps.

Noises on a roof can be deceiving as they echo making them sound louder than they actually are. At this time of year we get woken up in the mornings by seagulls on ours and they sound like they're wearing hobnailed boots!

I can't offer any insight on what you're hearing though - Welcome to UM :)

• Like 2

Would you have had time to go out and look ...... if brave enough ...... and clutching your camera and/or phone to get evidence, of course!

Welcome to UM :st

"Something big was first running then walking on our roof. My roof is flat and there is a place where you could climb up to get onto my roof, but would not be easy"

Why couldn't it be people (teens maybe)? If you don't know what it was, then you don't know if it was humans or not.

Maybe install a camera if this happens again. Cheap and user friendly ones on the market.

If it was me, I'd have to run out and look next time. How tall is your house?

I've had racoons on my roof and believe me it was loud....woke me up out of a dead sleep.

• Like 1

I live in Oz so having things walk-about on the roof here is nothing unusual.

Yet your experience reminds me about an incident which occurred with me a few years ago after my family had just moved into our (then) newly built home. The lounge room of the house had been installed with an in-ceiling, hi-fi speaker system. One evening my husband and I were watching a movie via DVD…The movie was Signs…The scene which had us running outside looking on the roof for someone running about on the roof was…Well do I really need to actually convey when I had my really duh head moment…So embarrassing.

I was too scared to go outside. I think if it happened again I still would stay inside. lol. I have lived in this house for 14 years and nothing like that has happened before. I spoke to the neighbors and they said that they were out for the evening. My house is 11 ft high. This also happened to some other people in town. Whatever it was I hope it doesn't return.

Probably a cat.

I'm serious, one cat running on the roof can sound like a horse of a buffalo...I don't know how they do it but they do.

For example, when I am in the basement, my cat often decides to start running back and forth and it sounds like a pony galloping around.

• Like 1

Set up a web cam or CCTV on your rooftop. It might be worth giving it a go.

I will definitely look into getting a webcam, it would be interesting in one way to see what could make a house wall vibrate like it did. Thank you everyone for your help.

if the footsteps were quick fast paced.. then its likely to be small... a rodent perhaps or a bird... raccoons tend to be fast paced scurries too

if you think that the noise belongs to a 2 legged creature, then you need to find info on your local wildlife database

house vibrating by footsteps did ya say??? :unsure2:

Edited by ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

A cow? A cow fell through the roof in someones home in Brazil and think it killed the man sleeping.

Raccoons, squirrels...heck even chipmunks can make quite the racket if excited enough.

You might even want to consider it IS a person on your roof, pulling a prank or something like that.

Be assured, however, that's it's not something paranormal or supernatural.

I think it was two legged, because to ran from one end of my house and when it got close to the other end it started walking. It was heavy whatever it was. I thought it was going to come right through. I found out today that this has happened to other people in other parts of the

city. It happened to them on the same night as me or the next night. Yes the house was vibrating because my son first felt it on the floor,then heard it.

Edited by NB08

Raccoons, squirrels...heck even chipmunks can make quite the racket if excited enough.

You might even want to consider it IS a person on your roof, pulling a prank or something like that.

Be assured, however, that's it's not something paranormal or supernatural.

:tu: No worries, I have the Paranormal inside the house. I live with ghosts. They shock me sometimes but this thing on the roof actually scared me.

I think it was two legged, because to ran from one end of my house and when it got close to the other end it started walking. It was heavy whatever it was. I thought it was going to come right through. I found out today that this has happened to other people in other parts of the

city. It happened to them on the same night as me or the next night. Yes the house was vibrating because my son first felt it on the floor,then heard it.

Then I'm going to say that someone, real, was walking on your house. In that case, you should call the local authorities, or wait outside with a shotgun (you don't have to shoot them, unless they threaten you; all you have to do is scare them off of your roof).

Without some sort of evidence to show us, though, we'll never know for sure.

:tu: No worries, I have the Paranormal inside the house. I live with ghosts. They shock me sometimes but this thing on the roof actually scared me.

Ah, ok. I see. Thanks for posting that.

Then I'm going to say that someone, real, was walking on your house. In that case, you should call the local authorities, or wait outside with a shotgun (you don't have to shoot them, unless they threaten you; all you have to do is scare them off of your roof).

Without some sort of evidence to show us, though, we'll never know for sure.

Ah, ok. I see. Thanks for posting that.

I did phone the police, but I phoned the non emergency number. By the time they got here it was 1 hour later. Whatever or whoever it was was long gone. He told me if it happens again to call 911. I don't own a gun so we had the next best thing-a golf club, in case they got in.

Edited by NB08

I did phone the police, but I phoned the non emergency number. By the time they got here it was 1 hour later. Whatever or whoever it was was long gone. He told me if it happens again to call 911. I don't own a gun so we had the next best thing-a golf club, in case they got in.

Coat a portion of your roof with some baby powder. At least they'll leave some tracks for you to check out.

• Like 2

I've had squirrels, coons, possoms, and even a pair of big birds once fighting or something on my roof. It can be very loud and sometimes very human-like in how it sounds. Our local feral cats don't get up on the roof.

Since you say it ran across the roof then slowed down, it might have been a human.

You can do a camera or do baby powder like suggested. Or you could buy yourself a little airhorn, and the next time you hear it, just stick it out your door or nearest open window and give it a good blast. Scare the beejeebers out of whatever it is. Or perhaps some temporary tack strips on your roof at access points.

• Like 1

Ditto on the baby powder mentioned by SP and the air horn by rashore.

You should own a gun, as this might be one of many times that it could be useful, but that's for another debate.

Golf-club won't be much of a deterrent unless they come right at you...and if it takes place on the roof--well, just don't go up on the roof.

If you're not scamming us, and if the weight of the perp does do that to your house, then yeah, sounds like someone is running across roofs in your area.

It could still just be an animal. The ones around here make a hell of a racket at times, and our house is large with a sloping roof and all that.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Ditto on the baby powder mentioned by SP and the air horn by rashore.

You should own a gun, as this might be one of many times that it could be useful, but that's for another debate.

Golf-club won't be much of a deterrent unless they come right at you...and if it takes place on the roof--well, just don't go up on the roof.

If you're not scamming us, and if the weight of the perp does do that to your house, then yeah, sounds like someone is running across roofs in your area.

It could still just be an animal. The ones around here make a hell of a racket at times, and our house is large with a sloping roof and all that.

Good luck.

Since this has happened I am not getting much sleep at night. Yesterday morning at 5 am I heard something running on the roof, but it sounded like a raccoon or something. It didn't vibrate my house like that night. I realize you don't know me but I wont lie to save my own skin, I believe in Karma. I live in a small town and now I know of 3 reports ( including mine) of people this has happened to and we all live far from one another. Imagine what thunder sounds like when it is right above your house and then you will know what it sounded like that night. Thank you for your input. I am going to be looking into a night vision camera that I can put up on the roof and motion lights around my property. I am afraid of heights so I will be getting someone to install it. lol . P.S. My son had the golf club, I had a can of scrubbing bubbles to spray in its eyes if need be. :)