Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Trained medical dogs can monitor diabetes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Specially trained medical detection dogs can have a huge impact to the lives of diabetes sufferers.

Most people will be familiar with guide dogs for the blind, but a relatively new type of dog training has been proving that man's best friend is capable of offering a lot more to patients than previously realised.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...onitor-diabetes

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    lisaloveslilia

lisaloveslilia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

• "Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself" - Khalil Gibran

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Dogs are pretty awesome!  Its cool to see them being utilized more in ways that they are naturally in tuned to. They could be a HUGE benefit in the medical field.  I'd like to see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future!  Plus...did I mention dogs are awesome?

Edited by lisaloveslilia, 11 May 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#3    order and chaos

order and chaos

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

• the side you are on depends on your perspective

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

i wonder if we could train my friends dog to do this for her. I would gladly train it myself if it would help her

#4    ineffectiveArtist

ineffectiveArtist

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Ah, this is because diabetics get a fruit-y smell about there breath when they sugar is too high or too low (or at least it does for me). A girl at the school I attend has a dog for just that purpose, though I'm sure her sugar isn't that out of control...

#5    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

USA Networks' Roal Pains used this a couple of seasons ago.

#6    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,245 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I know a very nice guy that has a little chihuahua for his diabetes. She's a darling dog, exceedingly well behaved.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,803 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Doesn't surprise me. Didn't they find that dogs can smell cancer in patients also?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,810 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

how did they get a phto of my dog? I am not diabetic, because I don't take statins. However this photo looks a lot like my dog.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#9    lisaloveslilia

lisaloveslilia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

• "Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself" - Khalil Gibran

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 13 May 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Doesn't surprise me. Didn't they find that dogs can smell cancer in patients also?

I do believe I've heard that before.  Dogs have amazing sense of smell!  Think I also heard a story about a dog sensing his owner's oncoming heart attack.  Pretty amazing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users