Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Life in space

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

I was reading the other day ( and i am glad i did) that out there is space. If a human walks out without a suit and holding his breath for 30 -40 seconds. Exactly nothing  bad will happen to him. His eyes won't be sucked out, or his blood, like in hollywood movies.  It is not even extremely cold as we expected to be. He might get sun burns if touched by sun lights. My normal question then is...
Another article was saying that you can simply take a dormant insect (winter hibernation), put her in a box, transport her on a planet like Mars and release her. She will wake up from hibernation but die right away because of the actual conditions.
So my point is now more then ever  i believe that is it so easy to propagate-life in space through meteorites and celestial bodies carrying cells, atoms and dna.

Edited by qxcontinuum, 13 May 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#2    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

But what about pressure? There's no pressure in space, and since there is some pressure on earth.. It would be different. Our bodies are used to earths pressure, but going to zero pressure, wouldn't it do something to you?

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#3    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,373 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

You mean panspermia.

Panspermia (Greek: πανσπερμία from πᾶς/πᾶν (pas/pan) "all" and σπέρμα (sperma) "seed") is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets[1][2] and planetoids.[3]

LINK

Look up any article by Chandra Wickramasinghe (Professor and Director of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham) He is the Panspermia Chicken Little. Every time we have a skybound event he runs around screaming panspermia. Smart man, but very excitable.

That hypothesis has been around from some time, no proof of it, no reason to discount it.

You got to these little blokes yet?

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#4    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

You'll still die

#5    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,413 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostYes_Man, on 13 May 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

You'll still die
But not immediately:
http://imagine.gsfc....ers/970603.html

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#6    Whisperer

Whisperer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

our bodies are used to exerting counter pressure of something like 14 lbs per square inch so without that, our own system would in fact push out at that pressure against 0 gee so their could be ramifications physiologically, like eyeballs popping out sort of thing, I dont know, just saying but I would love to go up and just be there for the buzz.

As Psyche says, Panspermia is the stuff your suggesting and givin the age of the universe, let alone our own Galaxy, with all the events likely to occur, there could be something in what the theory purports...

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Panspermia's biggest problem, in my opinion, is the time it takes to travel from one system to another if you are just drifting along, and the corresponding billions of years some spore would have to remain vital.  Naw.

I do think that with fairly simple breathing apparatus and a tight secondary skin, humans could live reasonably well in little space bungalows.  Kinda be the ultimate way to be a hermit.  Hafta have a way to detect objects headed at you and evade them (relative speeds can get up there pretty high so a small pebble can be lethal, but space is big and these would be rare) and one needs radiation protection, but the secondary skin could provide that.

#8    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,805 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 13 May 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

So my point is now more then ever  i believe that is it so easy to propagate-life in space through meteorites and celestial bodies carrying cells, atoms and dna.
Easy or not, did that actually happen?  It's easy and potentially possible for me to learn to speak Arabic and nothing about that would violate what we know about reality, but I don't speak Arabic despite the possibility and potential for me to do so.

Are you proposing that it happened and if so what's your evidence or are you just proposing a potentially true hypothesis?

Edited by JesseCuster, 13 May 2014 - 08:11 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

I don't think it's easy but will admit it's possible.  The appeal comes from the fact that life appeared so quickly here after conditions were tolerable and a lot of people are confused about how hard it would be for life to originate here on its own.

I think this is a residue of creationist attackers who make a big deal about how "marvelous" life is.  The reality is all you need is a molecule that can utilize bits of its environment to make copies of itself.  Not terribly simple but not unimaginable either, given a million years or so in a reducing (no free oxygen to destroy complex molecules) atmosphere and lots of energy sources and a huge ocean.

#10    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,373 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Hey Frank

What about comets? Surviving in ice might be possible? Tardigrades have survived open space. How they manage to resist UV radiation so well is quite a mystery.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,186 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 13 May 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

i believe that is it so easy to propagate-life in space through meteorites and celestial bodies carrying cells, atoms and dna.

We have no doubt inadvertently left cells/dna/microbes on the moon! Seen any palm tree's yet?

Edited by seeder, 13 May 2014 - 08:37 AM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I agree it's possible but unless the evolution happens somehow in the comet how does it get to the comet?  Being knocked off a planet implies bits of "infected" rock traveling about.

#13    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,373 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

I would suggest something of a glancing blow with a planet.

#14    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostJesseCuster, on 13 May 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Easy or not, did that actually happen?  It's easy and potentially possible for me to learn to speak Arabic and nothing about that would violate what we know about reality, but I don't speak Arabic despite the possibility and potential for me to do so.

Are you proposing that it happened and if so what's your evidence or are you just proposing a potentially true hypothesis?

Even more, I would think the microcells and bacteria must have came from different planets which can explains a variety of life forms and evolutionary ways. On earth everything seems to be just a copy of macrocosmically principles, so if plants, nature is created through propagation, why not then accepting that theory?
One major stone of this principle would be the fact that meteorites burn in upper atmosphere. But while just checking online this fact, it turns out it isn’t really a fact.

“Many astronomers believe that small rocks hitting the ground should not be hot. In a Science@NASAarticle about the recent fireball over Pennsylvania, written by Tony Phillips, the planetary scientist Don Yeomans is quoted as saying,"Rocky asteroids are poor conductors of heat. Their central regions remain cool even as the hot outer layers are ablated away... Small rocky meteorites found immediately after landing will not be hot to the touch."

Edited by qxcontinuum, 13 May 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#15    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 May 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

I agree it's possible but unless the evolution happens somehow in the comet how does it get to the comet?  Being knocked off a planet implies bits of "infected" rock traveling about.

Earth's upper atmosphere—below freezing, nearly without oxygen, flooded by UV radiation—is no place to live. But last winter, scientists from the Georgia Institute of Technology discovered that billions of bacteria actually thrive up there.

http://www.popsci.co...eria-33000-feet

Just grazing the upper atmosphere of a planet may be enough to become 'infected'.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users