Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russia set to ban US from using space station

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

The US will no longer have access to the station after 2020 as Russia responds to Ukraine sanctions.

The $150 billion space station has been synonymous with international co-operation since its construction began back in 1998, but now due to Russia's response to sanctions imposed by the United States over the Ukraine crisis it looks as though the project could come to a rather bitter end.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...g-space-station

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,754 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Ahh maturity. Exactly what we can't expect from our elected leaders the world over.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

It's a shame we can't cooperate on a project that helps humanity.

Edited by Mac E, 14 May 2014 - 11:41 AM.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#4    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,513 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

I thought they intended to abandon the space station about then anyway.  If not a 2020 it wasn't long after that.

http://www.foxnews.c...tation-in-2020/

#5    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

• ... man isn't fit to live if he hasn't found something worth dying for...

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

Its a long time till 2020 and i believe that this project wont be destroyed by politics.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Tit for tat is standard behavior in diplomacy, about the level of three-year-olds.

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

View Postskookum, on 14 May 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I thought they intended to abandon the space station about then anyway.  If not a 2020 it wasn't long after that.

In January this year the US announced plans to extend the life of the ISS until at least 2024: Space Station life 'to be extended'

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostSir Smoke aLot, on 14 May 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Its a long time till 2020 and i believe that this project wont be destroyed by politics.

The Russian's have plans for a Moon base. It is quite possible that they feel the need to divert funds to that project. As far as I know they had not agreed to the extension of the ISS until 2024. No doubt this announcement was timed to have maximum effect but it may be that they would not have agreed anyway. It is also possible that, if funding is in issue, one the Ukraine crisis is over that Russia can be persuaded to keep the ISS in service for the "right price".

The European's could be key players here. Whilst siding with the USA on the Ukraine issue, ESA continues to co-operate with Russia in space.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• 1,325 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 May 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Tit for tat is standard behavior in diplomacy, about the level of three-year-olds.

We-e-ell, it's also been studied in Game Theory - it's a strategy which can be used in one of those two-player two-choice games, the name of which I can't remember: two players represent countries which are at loggerheads, and each can choose either to build lots of weapons or build the economy; if both players build weapons they both gain little, if only one builds weapons he gain a lot; and if both build the economy they both gain something. The tit-for-tat thing comes in when you play the game over and over and can choose to punish the other player for what he did in previous games.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

It's childish and that's an end to it.  If the Russians were planning to do it anyway they should say so.  It's kinda like expelling diplomats -- you expel one and we expel one.

#11    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 May 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

It's childish and that's an end to it.  If the Russians were planning to do it anyway they should say so.  It's kinda like expelling diplomats -- you expel one and we expel one.
I'm taking my toys back and kicking you out of my sandbox..  Well as it's been stated above, we have some real mature people in government.  Maybe they just need a timeout in the corner.

#12    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

I guess politics trump science (unfortunately).

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

It's simply bluster on the part of Putin.

If he was serious, the start date wouldn't be six years from now.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostRafterman, on 14 May 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

If he was serious, the start date wouldn't be six years from now.
Yes it would actually.

The Russian manned space programme is currently as reliant on the ISS as the USA, ESA, Japan and Canada are. Withdrawing from the ISS now would effectively ground the Russian manned programme for the foreseeable future.

Also the Russian's would be breaking treaties with not just the USA but with the other nations involved, including ESA (with whom, as I have already pointed out, they continue to co-operate). These treaties expire in 2020.

In refusing to back the Obama Administration's pledge to extend the station's life until at least 2024 Russia is hitting at the US government without harming either their own space programme or breaking any agreements they have already entered into.

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 14 May 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

Yes it would actually.

The Russian manned space programme is currently as reliant on the ISS as the USA, ESA, Japan and Canada are. Withdrawing from the ISS now would effectively ground the Russian manned programme for the foreseeable future.

Also the Russian's would be breaking treaties with not just the USA but with the other nations involved, including ESA (with whom, as I have already pointed out, they continue to co-operate). These treaties expire in 2020.

In refusing to back the Obama Administration's pledge to extend the station's life until at least 2024 Russia is hitting at the US government without harming either their own space programme or breaking any agreements they have already entered into.

Good points.

That said, such a threat from Putin really doesn't have any teeth given how much can change between now and 2020.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users