Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Student kicked out of school for BB Gun.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

http://www.kwwl.com/...scovered-in-car

Over reaction??

This kid gets suspended because someone saw a BB gun in his car, which was parked off campus!

What right do the police have to confiscate this?

I understand safety is a top priority, but shouldn't common sense take over at some point?

Your thoughts?

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,640 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

So he was suspended for owning a BB gun.  Not for having it at school or anywhere on school property, not using it, not removing it from his vehicle, not threatening anyone with it.  I wonder if he is 18?

#3    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Yes...major over-reaction and the police should be forced to return it.  It was not on school property and it was encased in"private property"...i.e. the kids car.

There is no common sense to be found these days...everyone is medicated or in need of it apparently.

Everyone is afraid of their own shadow...sad really.  We used to be a lot stronger and tougher than we are now...a BB gun?...really?

I am sure it was turned in by someone who knew nothing about guns and thought it was something to be afraid of...still no excuse.

This "see something say something" psyop we are now under is nothing but the same policies used in Nazi Germany...and now with camera phones and wireless web access...you can rat someone out in record time!

We are all expected to bow to the Neo Gestapo...they are never wrong and you are never protected or secure and you have zero personal freedom and privacy now...congratulations...

Then...
Posted Image

Now...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jeremiah65, 14 May 2014 - 05:58 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#4    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,644 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Luckily it wasn't a Pop Tart.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#5    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,206 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Just sayin.. It was pretty stupid and irresponsible to have a gun just laying out in the open in your car where everyone can see it. Even if it is just a BB gun, general gun safety and sense should have been exercised. That gun should have been put away securely in the car.

That said, I think the schools reaction is way overboard.

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Tremendous overreach on the part of both the school and law enforcement.  I can see why the police would have been called if someone saw the BB gun in the vehicle (dumb move on the kid's part by the way to leave it in the open like that), but as soon as the police arrived and realized what it was, that should have been the end of it right there.  Possession of a BB gun is perfectly legal under Iowa law (except at the State Fairgrounds) and since he wasn't on school grounds, the school should have no more say in the matter than if he a BB gun at his home.

It might have happened already, but I'm waiting for the first kid to get suspended for posting hunting or target shooting photos on social media.  It's no secret that part of the anti-2nd Amendment agenda is to stigmatize gun owners and gun ownership the way cigarette smokers and smoking in general was stigmatized over the past 30 years.  This is but another example of that beginning to happen.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#7    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,349 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

It could be that someone saw the BB gun in school and saw the boy put it in his car is my guess

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostYes_Man, on 14 May 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

It could be that someone saw the BB gun in school and saw the boy put it in his car is my guess

That's not supported by the statements from the police nor the school administration.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#9    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,073 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Over reach by the cops, and probably illegal ?   Wrongful treatment by the school.  They were both wrong.  

But the kid was sort of 'wrong' too, in that it defies common sense to leave what looks like a GUN  in sight of passersby?  , if that was the case.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#10    Ogbin

Ogbin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "God Bless Israel"

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Policing is no longer protecting and serving.. It's business plain and simple. Common sense in not even a factor anymore.

Edit: And as far as the schools go.. When are they not exerting power when ever they get the chance?

Edited by Ogbin, 14 May 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#11    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostOgbin, on 14 May 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

Policing is no longer protecting and serving

it never was, google what verb "to police" means. but they sure rammed that lie into many heads and anchored it there.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,196 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

They'd flip out if they saw the bow and arrows in the back seat of my car.
You know, things that can actually kill people.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,206 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 15 May 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

They'd flip out if they saw the bow and arrows in the back seat of my car.
You know, things that can actually kill people.

BB guns can kill people. It's not common, but it has happened.

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,889 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

What SHOULD have happened: (IMO of course)...

School admin gets notified of "weapon in vehicle near school grounds - belonging to a student"
Admin calls student into office, calmly asks if this true and is it his weapon... Finds out it is a BB gun... Admin asks student to please not do this again - allows student
opportunity to remove the 'weapon' and take it back home... otherwise, "you may return to class"...  End of drama...

Now, a second offense, would be another matter...

Edited by Taun, 15 May 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#15    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostTaun, on 15 May 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

What SHOULD have happened: (IMO of course)...

School admin gets notified of "weapon in vehicle near school grounds - belonging to a student"
Admin calls student into office, calmly asks if this true and is it his weapon... Finds out it is a BB gun... Admin asks student to please not do this again - allows student
opportunity to remove the 'weapon' and take it back home... otherwise, "you may return to class"...  End of drama...

Now, a second offense, would be another matter...

But who gets to decide "near" school grounds? Is it .25 miles, .5 miles, 1 mile...?

As far as I know there is no law prohibiting some one from having a BB gun in their car. If no law is broken then no need for police involvement.

The car was not on school grounds. No need for school to be involved.

"Second offense"? What was his first offense?

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users