Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cops shooting good dogs

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,791 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

I'm getting a little tired of seeing a story every two days about cops shooting dogs. I understand certain circumstances call for certain actions but so many of these stories I read lately are about cops shooting dogs flippantly without discretion. Often they state that they can't use discretion as their imminent safety is of utmost importance. Instead of posting a bunch of stories, except the one I just read that set me off http://www.theblaze....ou-can-imagine/ , I'll supply a simple google search. There are plenty. https://www.google.c...n&client=safari
I think it's time law enforcement aquires some type of easy to access fast acting K-9 repellent. I dont know what it could be and I do know that a seperate tranquilizer gun is not practical. Maybe something already exists but there's got to be something to prevent this tactic. I also realize that there are some loony cruel LEO's that will kill a dog for enjoyment. I'm not asking to rid the world of evil but I don't think what I want is out of the realm of today's technology.

Edit: if the google link fails just search 'cop shoots dog' or 'cops shoot dog'.

Edited by F3SS, 14 May 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#2    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

If a charging puppy makes you fear for your life, then perhaps you should seek a line of work other than police officer.

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

:no:

#4    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,208 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

Give overly macho men a firearm and the impunity to use it, this is what happens.

If an average citizen did anything of the sort, the uproar would be deafening.

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,320 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:18 AM

If a cop shoots my dog he best shoot me next.  First thing I do when I call the cops or an ambulance (if I am able) is tie the dog or put her in a room. Safer all around.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#6    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

Oh a pitbull mix in Detroit. I'm not surprised.

Problem is, you get a lot of people going for pitbulls to act "tough". These people only have the dog for the image, they don't know how to look after it properly. I witnessed a pitbull owned by youths going for a "tough" look where their dog went to bite an elderly man as he was walking it ran up to him.

You want cops to stop shooting your pits? You're looking at the wrong problem folks.

#7    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,791 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 15 May 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Problem is, you get a lot of people going for pitbulls to act "tough". These people only have the dog for the image, they don't know how to look after it properly. I witnessed a pitbull owned by youths going for a "tough" look where their dog went to bite an elderly man as he was walking it ran up to him.

You want cops to stop shooting your pits? You're looking at the wrong problem folks.

This isn't about cops shooting bad dogs. This is about finding a solution that allows a cop to act swiftly with or without discretion in a humane way. There's got to be something besides blow Fido's head off for nothing more than reacting excitedly as dogs do when there's commotion or a person entering their territory.

#8    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostF3SS, on 15 May 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

This isn't about cops shooting bad dogs. This is about finding a solution that allows a cop to act swiftly with or without discretion in a humane way. There's got to be something besides blow Fido's head off for nothing more than reacting excitedly as dogs do when there's commotion or a person entering their territory.

Indeed, I can see what Orc is saying, and that false bravado might instigate fear in an officer knowing people train these dogs to maim. But as you say, that does not appear to be anything like the case in the above, and if you have seen this happening it does seem a serious problem. I am not sure that a doggy taser or the like is warranted, perhaps more training for officers in this area. I am not sure how much, if any, that is received with regards to handling animals. My sister was in the RAF and she was terrified of Dogs, I could see her reacting the same way in the same situation. It should be part of the psyche test, and formal training given. A qualification perhaps.  

The average person can be much worse. We have something of a problem in a suburb called Coomera where Dogs were being stolen for fighting while owners were at work. Small ones for baiting practices and food, and the big ones for betting on. One has to be a pretty vile and low human being to find such a display interesting, and one has to be downright sick to organise and prep these events. The group doing this want to hope Police catch them and not the community. And they will be caught sooner or later. My wife follows the Police Beat facebook page, and told me about it. I was sick to my stomach to hear about it.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#9    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

It all depends on the situation

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#10    MuddyFeet

MuddyFeet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

Most officers carry mace, works very well on dogs. Not sure why they do not use it instead.

#11    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

• ... man isn't fit to live if he hasn't found something worth dying for...

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

There is no good psychological test to be done before people are accepted into police force and i guess that is why there are many idiots working in police force, usually cowards who get chance to use their guns legally. Short time ago we have seen story about policeman shooting family dog for no reason.

...If you’re thinking like everyone else, then you aren’t thinking...

#12    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 15 May 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

They shoot dogs other than pit bull type.  A few years back while attempting to serve a search warrant at the house of the mayor of a small town in Maryland, they shot 2 Labrador types.

#13    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 15 May 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

Indeed, I can see what Orc is saying, and that false bravado might instigate fear in an officer knowing people train these dogs to maim. But as you say, that does not appear to be anything like the case in the above, and if you have seen this happening it does seem a serious problem. I am not sure that a doggy taser or the like is warranted, perhaps more training for officers in this area. I am not sure how much, if any, that is received with regards to handling animals. My sister was in the RAF and she was terrified of Dogs, I could see her reacting the same way in the same situation. It should be part of the psyche test, and formal training given. A qualification perhaps.  

The average person can be much worse. We have something of a problem in a suburb called Coomera where Dogs were being stolen for fighting while owners were at work. Small ones for baiting practices and food, and the big ones for betting on. One has to be a pretty vile and low human being to find such a display interesting, and one has to be downright sick to organise and prep these events. The group doing this want to hope Police catch them and not the community. And they will be caught sooner or later. My wife follows the Police Beat facebook page, and told me about it. I was sick to my stomach to hear about it.
We have the same problem happening here in Melbourne - the Altona/Werribee area to be exact, funny enough some work colleagues who live in that area were talking about it.  One of them is going away for a few weeks and was just going to have a family member come over and feed and spend some time with the dog each day while she was away.  Because of this problem, she has decided she will not feel safe unless it is in a proper pet care centre.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostThanato, on 15 May 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

Yes it does. The perceived "immediacy" of the threat.  Whether the gun was the quickest to reach and handle and the police officer's state of mind in the environment.  A level of anxiety is always going to be present when they enter suspected perps terrritories or unknown homes, after awhile on the beat they have seen too much of violence and abherrant human behaviour, as well as pet behaviour to have the same world view of those of us that are not typically exposed this way in our own daily lives.

It is a tough one, I couldn't stand it if it happened to my Matilda or anyone I knew, I think it would send me into a rage but from a distance I can see alot of "mitigating" circumstances can lead to this decision being taken by particular police in specific callouts.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,603 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostThanato, on 15 May 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

no, it depends on a COP.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users