Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Poor Sally Morgan had a rough night

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

UK "psychic to the stars" or as her own website claims "Britain's best loved psychic" Sally Morgan totally flops on a reading and completely loses the crowd in Middlesbrough.  

http://mylespower.co...-middlesbrough/

As part of the show, folks are supposed to submit photos of deceased loved ones for Sally to spotlight and then perform one of her famous "readings".  Apparently this poor woman misunderstood the request and submitted a photo of herself from back in the day.  Needless to say, Sally totally blew it and exposed herself for the fraud that she is.  

Shouldn't she have been able to immediately tell that the person in the photographs was still alive?  On the upside, her ticket prices are a good deal more reasonable than that hack John Edward here in the States.

From the article:

Sally then became in direct contact with the woman in the photo who began to tell her that there was a lot of confusion around her death and that she felt it was very very quick. She later went on to say that the day Wednesday has a specific link to her death and that she either died on a Wednesday or was taken ill that day. As the woman in the audience was not responding to any thing Sally was saying, she decided to ask how the woman in the photo was related to her. It turns out the woman in the audience got the whole concept of submitting a picture of someone you wanted to talk to from the afterlife completely wrong – and for some unknown reason submitted a younger picture of herself.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,164 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Oopsie.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

No video? Damn, I was ready to get the popcorn ready.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#4    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

I remember the last topic about Sally Morgan being a scam artist, so many people were trying to defend her. I'd love to see how they explain away this.

Edited by Odin11, 20 May 2014 - 06:49 PM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostOdin11, on 20 May 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

I remember the last topic about Sally Morgan being a scam artist, so many people were trying to defend her. I'd love to see how they explain away this.
I'll bite.  Someone gave her incorrect information and so received incorrect information.  It's like looking for the number five while typing 2+2 into your calculator.  Mind you I'm not saying that's what happened I'm saying that's how true believers will explain it.

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostOverSword, on 20 May 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

I'll bite.  Someone gave her incorrect information and so received incorrect information.  It's like looking for the number five while typing 2+2 into your calculator.  Mind you I'm not saying that's what happened I'm saying that's how true believers will explain it.

Oh, of course they will.

But should a world-renowned psychic expert be so easily fooled?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting if the woman dies suddenly on a Wednesday in the future.

This is really a shame.

Embrace the impossible.

#8    Bloodflower

Bloodflower

Poltergeist

• 2,476 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

She gives good advice to people in a magazine but she's just so clever. I don't believe she's psychic.

"When a wolf doesn't want to do something, they look really cute!"
Michelle Paver

#9    Duck33

Duck33

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

I don't think preying on the vulnerable and gullible is a sign of intelligence, being an amoral bottom feeder perhaps..but intelligence...not so much...certainly not intelligence I would respect.

#10    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

View PostOverSword, on 20 May 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yeah, that is most likely what they would say. To which I say, a true psychic would know that the person in the picture was not dead. Then of course they would move on to their biggest excuse, that they always use, that the ability does not work that way ignoring the fact that it was supposedly working in just that way with all of the other pictures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The woman is a scam artist who feeds off of vulnerable people. Too bad this wont stop the truly gullible from believing in her.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#11    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,638 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

This is actually very much like a 2011 "Hallowe'en Challenge" to Morgan by a skeptic group. Morgan declined.

http://www.unexplain...pic=216733&st=0

The skeptics wished to present her with a set of photos, some but not all depicting now-dead people, and Morgan was supposed to identify which were the dead subjects. As I pointed out in that thread, at post 58

Ms Morgan does not claim to be a necromancer, someone who compels the attendance of spirits. She claims to serve as the meeting place between two people, a spirit of a dead person, and a living person with whom the spirit is willing to converse. That is, Ms Morgan claims to be a medium.
I don't follow her career, so maybe she's changed her act since then. If not, though, then what OverSword wrote here seems to me to be entirely correct (both as to a prediction of what some others would say, and as to the admissibility of that as something for them to say).

Also in the earlier thread, Leonardo pointed out that Morgan's performaces at that time were advertised as being theatrical events. Again, I don't know whether that has changed since then, but if Morgan is giving a stage show, and says it's a stage show, then it's a stage show.

I have no reason to believe that Morgan really is a medium, but I don't see that that's the issue here. The issue is whether, in principle, on the premise, even if the premise is contrary to actual fact that such a thing as a genuine medium existed, could something like this happen to such a person? It seems to me that the answer is yes. What I predict from that is that little or no belief change will or should arise from this new information.

In the same vein, I would be reluctant to speculate on Morgan's personal beliefs or motives. We see posts here at UM on a regular basis from people who suspect or are persuaded that they encounter the supernatural, and even that they have special skills in that domain, based on less observed success than Morgan's record. It is fine (I hope it's fine, since I have done it) to argue that the remarkable conclusion often doesn't follow from the unremarkable evidence presented, usually since there are other explanations, some neither criminal, pathological nor despicable.

Posted Image

#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

As eb has pointed out, Morgan advertises herself as a 'theatrical performer', which nicely sidesteps any possible legal and ethical issues with the 'readings' she gives. When it comes to providing information regarding missing (but not necessarily known to be deceased) loved ones, however - as she has done on occasion - then this brings into question the ethics of what she does.

Claiming the authority of knowledge carries with it a moral responsibility regarding the dispensing of that knowledge.

Edited by Leonardo, 01 June 2014 - 11:56 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,638 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Greetings, Leo

It is easy to imagine that a professional medium's life would be lived close to the line in many ways. A theater show would, in my view, be clearly on one side of the line. Other activities, outside of the realm of entertainment, would be a harder call. Indeed, for me, an impossible call, since I don't know any of the particulars, except what I read on the 'netz.

Posted Image

#14    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

Hi backatcha, eb.

Ms Morgan has made false claims in the past to 'boost' her publicity profile. For example, she named several celebrities as people she has 'read', but those claims were false. She has claimed to have assisted the police in 'missing persons' investigations, and those claims were false.

While her being caught making these false claims does not mean all claims she makes are false, she has "cried wolf" too often for any of her claims to be granted any validity by the majority of reasonable folk. Her believers will probably always believe, however, and as long as Ms Morgan's stage show can earn her a living from them (and from the curious) I suspect she is relatively unconcerned with the naysayers.

Edited by Leonardo, 03 June 2014 - 12:27 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users