Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

French 'killed Ivorian civilians'

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:04 PM

Parliament speaker Mamadou Coulibaly said the French had killed 30 people and wounded more than 100 in the main cities of Abidjan and Yamassoukro.

The French have denied this - saying they fired warning shots on protesters near Abidjan airport and a French base.

French citizens were attacked after French forces destroyed five Ivorian government aircraft.

France had responded to an earlier Ivorian air attack on the rebel town of Bouake that left nine French peacekeepers dead - a government breach of a ceasefire signed in July 2003.

The first French troop reinforcements have arrived at Abidjan airport.

Paris has said it is sending more troops and aircraft to the region to stop the escalating violence.

It has 4,000 troops in the country, part of a 10,000-strong UN force mandated to enforce a peace deal between rebels in the north and President Gbagbo's government in the south.

The UN Security Council moved swiftly to back the French action, and called on all sides to stop the fighting.

Full Article

rolleyes.gif

#2    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:07 PM

they slaughtered innocents? in a country they shouldn't be in (UN backing or no)
you sure it isn't the US pretending to be french?

don't you people see? they only invaded to get a stranglehold on world Cocoa supplies!

NO BLOOD FOR COCOA!

Edited by bathory, 07 November 2004 - 04:08 PM.

#3    reese2

reese2

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:10 PM

Too funny Bathory......... laugh.gif

UA & Barman's Animated Avatar wish list, for the imaginative yet simple minded....  !!!

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

Some of the most beautiful works of art, are often not work at all...

#4    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(bathory @ Nov 7 2004, 10:07 AM)
NO BLOOD FOR COCOA!

View Post

LMAO!

We should stage a protest! No blood for cocoa!  w00t.gif

#5    vimjams

vimjams

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• it Itches

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:26 PM

Jeez...What is wrong with some people?
I really don't thing anybody is condoning the French for what is happening here...UN backing or not. They're just as bad.
But this action doesn't make for what is happening in Iraq any more legitimate does it?

Too funny Bathory.

That sums you up for a start...oops! Another insult.

Vimjams
ph34r.gif

Edited by vimjams, 07 November 2004 - 04:27 PM.

Posted Image

#6    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:28 PM

they slaughtered innocents? in a country they shouldn't be in (UN backing or no)
you sure it isn't the US pretending to be french?

don't you people see? they only invaded to get a stranglehold on world Cocoa supplies!

France have not invaded The Ivory Coast!!! It is a former colony of France and they are trying to keep the peace. They are PeaceKeepers.  They have certainly never gone in 'gun ho' determined to take over and control this area.

As for killing civilians yes this is terrible however you ignore the fact that the French were targeted over there and that they have retaliated so that instead you can try to mock them.

#7    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:29 PM

vimjams Posted Today, 12:26 PM
  Jeez...What is wrong with some people?
I really don't thing anybody is condoning the French for what is happening here...UN backing or not. They're just as bad.
But this action doesn't make for what is happening in Iraq any more legitimate does it? 

I am not trying to legitimize Iraq, I am for our military being there. Just making an effort to point out that it is not always the United States who is the aggressor. That is All

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#8    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:35 PM

Also, the coalition is in Iraq as peacekeepers as well, at the request of the new government. We're getting rid of the idiots who want drag Iraq back into the dark ages.

#9    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:36 PM

France have not invaded The Ivory Coast!!! It is a former colony of France and they are trying to keep the peace.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make it right.
Israel is a former colony of UK and we won't appreciate if British soldiers will invade our country.
The US is also a former colony of the UK, and I you can be certain they won't want the British to invade their country.

But wait, Iraq too is a former colony of the United Kingdom, so one could say they are invading this country, which most of it was already under UN control (the no flying zones of northern and southern Iraq), to save it's people from a tyrant rolleyes.gif....

I'm sorry, but the fact that any country is a former colony of another country, doesn't give any right to the former colonialist country to interfere with the former colony's internal agendas.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#10    vimjams

vimjams

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• it Itches

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:38 PM

Just making an effort to point out that it is not always the United States who is the aggressor. That is All

You realy don't need to make any effort in this respect...The UK is as much the aggressor...  and probably even more so because the biggest bunch of two faced liars sits on those green benches in the House of Commons.

Vimjams
ph34r.gif

Edited by vimjams, 07 November 2004 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image

#11    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:25 PM

Also, the coalition is in Iraq as peacekeepers as well, at the request of the new government. We're getting rid of the idiots who want drag Iraq back into the dark ages

LOL AFTER we invaded the country lol.

ERIKL by your reckoning then i take it you dont agree with ANY peacekeeping mssions???

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#12    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

Wun, regarding the form of peackeeping today, no.
It has no real effect and the UN itself is a corrupt terror-supporter and powerless body.
Most of the UN members violet one of the very basic condition of becomming a member, and that's allowing citizens to rule themselves.
Most UN members are dictatorships, and thus I see no moral justification for UN's decsions or actions.

In my opinion, a new organization should be created, called United Democratic Nations, uniting all democracies, with it's base in New Delhi, India (after all, 50% of all citizens who live under democracy are Indians), with it's military being based on NATO (all democracies should join) and with economic relations and market similiar to the European Union.
This will be a true world government that will unite 30% of the world population.
The other, non-democratic nations, could be observers, and will be encouraged to make reforms and become a democracy. They'll have economic incentive and political incentive to do so (seeing the common market of the other democracies, and the common treaties etc.).
This will eventually end all wars and ofcourse terrorism, as there is no single known event of two democracies fighting eachother in modern times.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#13    Asterix

Asterix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

• By Belenos and Toutatis!

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:15 PM

It has no real effect and the UN itself is a corrupt terror-supporter and powerless body

This is not true, first of all, and what upsets me the most is that this kind of approaches is what led to the degeneration of the League of Nations in the 30's and eventually into WW2. The only reason UN isn't doing is job as best as it could, is because goverments like the Bush administration has absolutely no respect for the Global Community and believes falsely to be leader not of the United States but of the entire humankind.
I will not even begin to mention the humanitary support UN has given in the last 40 years, i will just ask where was the US army (this force of freedom, democracy and liberation for all free people) when Haiti was drowning? Where the %(#$ is this liberating army of USA that cares for human rights and democracy, while Africa is literally bathing in blood, genocide, and the most blatant violation of human rights-among them the most important, the right to exist? What I saw, was UN peacekeepers in Haiti maintaining order and supplying food. What I saw, was UN troops, badly outnumbered, struggling to protect civilians in Ivory Coast. What I saw in Ex-Yugoslavian republics was UN peacekeepers, trying to maintain safety and order after the bravado of NATO, which bombed European ground while European Union was smelling its toes in bafflement, trying to figure out what to do...

with it's military being based on NATO (all democracies should join)

NATO is a military organisation that now, after the collapse of Soviet Union, has absolutely no purpose of existence.

This will be a true world government that will unite 30% of the world population.

Oh yes! Indeed! In the same way that Bush represents 50% of the world (Sorry, I meant to say Americans), when not only half of the actual population voted, but there were votes that were "discarded", which I still fail to understand why and on what legitimate grounds this procedure takes place. What kind of true goverment is that, as you said, that unites 30% of the world population? And actually when in this 30% will not be included African states, many Asian states and so on?

This will eventually end all wars and ofcourse terrorism, as there is no single known event of two democracies fighting eachother in modern times

No, it will not end all wars, neither terrorism. It will create a massive world-wide hatred towards the states that "possess" by the minor countries that are left outside of the big party...

Edited by Asterix, 07 November 2004 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image
There are two kinds of idiots - those who don't take action because they have received a threat, and those who think they are taking action because they have issued a threat.
Paulo Coelho

#14    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:30 PM

NO BLOOD FOR COCOA!

Lol, true or not, thats still funny!

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#15    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:08 AM

keep the peace by killing civilians? nice work!

(for the record i'm all for the french being there as peace keepers, I just don't see UN backing as being relevant anymore because of the level of curruption involved)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users