Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mysterious 'Fairy Circles' Not Termites

fairy circles termotes namibia

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,472 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

"Fairy circles" that form in the arid grasslands of Namibia have baffled scientists for decades. In the latest attempt to explain the cause of these mysterious circular patches, a group of researchers turned to aerial images.

From the aerial images, the scientists discovered that fairy circles are distributed in surprisingly regular patterns, which might rule out the popular theory that termites are the creators.

http://www.livescien...ry-circles.html

Previous thread -
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=245460

Posted Image

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,253 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Interesting... I wonder if they are caused by some bacteria or fungus...

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,491 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostTaun, on 22 May 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

That was my impression is that it had to be fungus or something considering that all the rings look to be the same size and elevation so I don't think termites are gonna synchronize their construction with others. :D

Were there, perhaps at one point, a bunch of cactus there of various sizes and were decimated by the same infections that are making the circles?

#4    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,752 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostTaun, on 22 May 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

There are lots of different causes to natural ring shapes.  The "fairy ring" of the mushrooms is causes by the fungus consuming all available organic matter within the circle as it grows.  Lack of water causes a lot of grasses to grow in the middle of a barren circle.  And the creosote bush in the middle of a clone simply dies of old age.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#5    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 115 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Obviously, it's the work of mole people.

#6    maximusnow

maximusnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• Science is a road trip and facts are the photos we take on the way, the fuel that propels us is ignorance.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

And we believe that if life on Mars exist, we will find it? How long has science looked into the mystery of the fairy circles?

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

Fairy rings that I have seen locally are caused by fungi and tend to have grass in their centers AND it's greener than the grass outside the ring. By breaking down organic compounds, the fungi is likely releasing nitrogen and/or other minerals for the grass to use that the grass outside the circle is lacking. These rings in Namibia are just the opposite with barren soil in the middle.

Hard to believe that after 65 years they are no closer to an answer.

#8    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Some kind of parasite maybe??

View PostSundew, on 24 May 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Fairy rings that I have seen locally are caused by fungi and tend to have grass in their centers AND it's greener than the grass outside the ring. By breaking down organic compounds, the fungi is likely releasing nitrogen and/or other minerals for the grass to use that the grass outside the circle is lacking. These rings in Namibia are just the opposite with barren soil in the middle.

Hard to believe that after 65 years they are no closer to an answer.
That's because it's not a high priority.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

View Postancient astronaut, on 24 May 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Some kind of parasite maybe??

That's because it's not a high priority.

Probably true, but you would think they have already tested for fungi, bacteria and common insects as well as done simple chemical analysis of the interior of the circles and the surrounding soil. Makes one wonder what it is they are missing.

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,843 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:48 AM

So, they debunked it by having an Opinion? Did any of these "experts" go out to the desert and verify that the termites aren't forming circles? It sounds to me like these guys just deduced that because they hadn't heard of this before that it could not be so.

Very bad debunk in my opinion.

Edited by DieChecker, 25 May 2014 - 01:48 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

View PostSundew, on 25 May 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

Probably true, but you would think they have already tested for fungi, bacteria and common insects as well as done simple chemical analysis of the interior of the circles and the surrounding soil. Makes one wonder what it is they are missing.
The answer is probably right there in front of their faces, and they still can't see it.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#12    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,097 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

Gas from below might poison the roots but probably not in such an pattern. Maybe someone has done it on purpose? Or they are nest sites for some sort of creature. Weird.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#13    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,758 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I've seen fungus do some strange things.  Back where I used to live several years ago, when I was a teenager, the entire region was covered in an orange, stringy fungus(or maybe it was a plant, I'm not 100% sure).  The whole mountain I lived on turned orange, it was very bizarre.

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,843 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I think a fungal reason was the leading theory before the termites theory came around.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,752 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

View Postmaximusnow, on 24 May 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

And we believe that if life on Mars exist, we will find it? How long has science looked into the mystery of the fairy circles?
The fungus cause of fairy rings was known in the early 1960s.  I don't know how long before then that the question was under investigation.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

Also tagged with fairy circles, termotes, namibia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users