Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Voters head to polls for EU & Local Elections


  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 9,285 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Quote

Voters heading to polls for European and council elections

Millions of people are voting in the European election and local council polls in England and Northern Ireland on Thursday.
It is the final big test of public opinion before 2015's general election.
All 73 UK seats in the European Parliament - the EU's only directly elected body - are up for grabs, along with 4,216 seats on local councils, nearly half of them in London.

Polling stations are open for voting between 07:00 and 22:00 BST.
  • There are elections across the UK to the European Parliament on Thursday and elections to 161 councils in England and 11 in Northern Ireland.
  • Results for the local elections will come on Friday. Results for the European elections will be announced late on Sunday. You can follow full coverage with all the latest updates at bbc.co.uk/vote2014. There is a TV election special tonight on BBC One from 23:35 BST and a special on BBC Radio 4 and 5live from midnight.
The last European elections took place in 2009. Voting will take place in the EU's other 27 member states over the next four days, with 751 MEPs in total being chosen. Thursday also sees voting take place in the Netherlands.


Well, I've been and Voted. true to my word, standing at the polling booth i placed my X in UKIP's box. Up the Alamo.

It'll be interesting to see how UKIP do in the Local Elections. which we should get to know about roughly later tonight / into the early hours. But ultimately its the European Election result im most looking forward to. which we'll get a rough idea about. but wont fully know until Sunday european wide - but here in the UK law states the results have to be read out at the counting/polling centre. so we should get a good idea.So
lets, in the words of Nigel - Cause a political earthquake.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#2    RoofGardener

RoofGardener

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK, Midlands

  • Look upon my Plantpots ye mighty, and despair.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

We're only voting for the European Regional elections in my ward - not the Local Government ones. (that's another two years away, I believe ?)

I voted UKIP, and I really really hope they do well. I think they have the potential to fire a massive 'shot across the bows' of the 'big three' parties who - in my opinion - have become complacent and arrogant beyond belief.

Energy is contagious
Enthusiasm spreads
Tides respond to lunar gravitation
Everything turns in synchronous relation

#3    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2014

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 22 May 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

[b]

Well, I've been and Voted. true to my word, standing at the polling booth i placed my X in UKIP's box. Up the Alamo.

It'll be interesting to see how UKIP do in the Local Elections. which we should get to know about roughly later tonight / into the early hours. But ultimately its the European Election result im most looking forward to. which we'll get a rough idea about. but wont fully know until Sunday european wide - but here in the UK law states the results have to be read out at the counting/polling centre. so we should get a good idea.So
lets, in the words of Nigel - Cause a political earthquake.

My council only does local elections every four years so I couldnt vote for them in that. However UKIP got a big fat X on the EU one.

Edited by RabidMongoose, 22 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.


#4    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,138 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

Ditto the above. Put my cross in the right place at 7.30 this morning.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#5    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2014

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 22 May 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Ditto the above. Put my cross in the right place at 7.30 this morning.

I think the boat is going to well and truly get rocked!


#6    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,138 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostRabidMongoose, on 22 May 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

I think the boat is going to well and truly get rocked!

I bloody well hope so. Another 50 years of the usual suspects will truly sink this country, Nu Labour had a good go, but hopefully we can recover.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#7    EllJay

EllJay

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,950 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2009
  • Gender:Male

  • Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Britons seems to want to save their country. Good for you. Go UKIP. :D

"Rule, Britannia! - Britannia rule the waves. Britons never, never, never shall be slaves"

Rule, Britannia -



Pomp and Circumstance -



"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#8    acidhead

acidhead

    GOV Debt Slave

  • Member
  • 11,038 posts
  • Joined:13 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Victoria, BC CANADA

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Although I'm Libertarian and many of the UKIP party ideas conflict I'd be sure as hell aligning right now with this EU vote.  After UKIP wins the trade threats will be sure to follow in the coming days.  The thought that threats of trade is hypocrisy enough to get out of the EU immediately.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#9    skookum

skookum

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Sussex, UK

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

Blimey how long was that ballot paper!!!!!!

It was like 3 feet long with boxes the size Rubiks cubes!.  Still it was easy to see that everyone had voted UKIP in my little village, :tu:

Posted Image

#10    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,510 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southampton, Blighty!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

The BBC used to have exit polls to try and gauge the way the electorate were voting. Not for the EU elections apparently so why not? I have not seen a single exit poll published anywhere on any site.

If anyone comes across an exit poll could they link to it? Thanks


#11    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 9,285 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 23 May 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

The BBC used to have exit polls to try and gauge the way the electorate were voting. Not for the EU elections apparently so why not? I have not seen a single exit poll published anywhere on any site.

If anyone comes across an exit poll could they link to it? Thanks

I found that strange also. plus in the last european elections here in the UK they read the results out as soon as the vote was counted. but not this time has something changed since which prevents them announcing the result?

something else im not happy with - as others have already said, at the polling station. i wasn't asked for ID, and had to use a pencil. couple this with postal voting and its on par with a banana republic. wide open to fraud me thinks. i did ask the woman behind the desk why pencils not pens. she didnt have a clue why. just lets hope rubbers/erasers were banned at the counting centres.

Edited by stevewinn, 23 May 2014 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#12    dr no

dr no

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The North of England

  • Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Its always been pencils at my polling station,quite thick ones though, you would have a hard time erasing a vote unless you barely touched the paper


#13    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,510 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southampton, Blighty!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 23 May 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

I found that strange also. plus in the last european elections here in the UK they read the results out as soon as the vote was counted. but not this time has something changed since which prevents them announcing the result?

something else im not happy with - as others have already said, at the polling station. i wasn't asked for ID, and had to use a pencil. couple this with postal voting and its on par with a banana republic. wide open to fraud me thinks. i did ask the woman behind the desk why pencils not pens. she didnt have a clue why. just lets hope rubbers/erasers were banned at the counting centres.

I have since discovered Steve that  there is a EU Regulation, enacted in the UK (thanks to BBC for this info) stating:

Quote




30. - (1) No person shall in the case of a European Parliamentary election publish before the close of the poll -

(a) any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted, or

( B) any forecast as to the result of the election which is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information so given.

(2) If a person acts in contravention of paragraph (1), he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months.

(3) In this regulation -

"close of the poll" means, in the case of a general election of MEPs, the close of the polling in the Member State whose electors are the last to vote in the election;

"forecast" includes estimate;

"publish" means make available to the public at large, or any section of the public, in whatever form and by whatever means;

and any reference to the result of an election is a reference to the result of the election either as a whole or so far as any particular registered party or individual candidate at the election is or are concerned.

The intent is good (not to influence those who have yet to vote) but the EU Parliament - in an act of supreme hypocrisy) quoted on BBC.CO.UK:


Quote

It all feels uncomfortable and there may well be pressure for a review before future European elections. And in the short term, similar issues are likely to arise on Sunday as the European Parliament itself has said it plans to release details of national exit polls while other countries are still voting.

Well, I suppose if the European electorate starts straying from their EU masters wishes then they have one last trick up their sleeve to try and persuade people to vote in the "correct" way... :unsure2: So, the EU Parliament break 30.2 above will they in Toto be sentenced to 6 months incarceration?? Just a thought

Edited by keithisco, 23 May 2014 - 03:00 PM.


#14    RabidMongoose

RabidMongoose

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2014

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 23 May 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Well, I suppose if the European electorate starts straying from their EU masters wishes then they have one last trick up their sleeve to try and persuade people to vote in the "correct" way... :unsure2: So, the EU Parliament break 30.2 above will they in Toto be sentenced to 6 months incarceration?? Just a thought

Most of Europe doesnt vote for MEPs until Sunday. Its only the UK and Holland that did it yesterday.


#15    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,510 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southampton, Blighty!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostRabidMongoose, on 23 May 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Most of Europe doesnt vote for MEPs until Sunday. Its only the UK and Holland that did it yesterday.

I know, but having the opportunity to influence the remaining 26 EU Nations may be too tempting, even if it means breaking their own regulations.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users