Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SETI: 'we'll find alien life within 20 years'

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Dan Werthimer and Seth Shostak presented their latest findings this week at a House Committee hearing.

With money an ongoing issue for the SETI Institute, the two astronomers made the case for further investment in the hunt for extraterrestrial intelligence and emphasized that with enough funding it may be possible to find the first signs of alien life within just two decades.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...within-20-years

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

no you wont SETI, ET do not exist

Posted Image

#3    switchopens

switchopens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

This is getting old.  I think it's been at least 10 years since I first heard this.

Edited by switchopens, 23 May 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#4    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,985 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostThesillyfunnyguyIDK, on 23 May 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

no you wont SETI, ET do not exist
This statement is illogical by math and missing proof but it fits some religious beliefs so its illogical in ternary at least.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#5    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

The numbers certainly support the notion of the existence of life elsewhere in the Universe.  Stating that we will find it within 20 years seems a bit optimistic.  I suspect the lack of funding for SETI is prompting Shostak to do a little marketing.  His 20 year prediction may well just be a way to encourage donations   If true, it is not at all a bad thing, just a little risky on his part.

#6    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,252 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

SETI: "Please give us some money"

I support the idea of searching for extraterrestrial life but I find these kind of declarations very suspicious.

Edited by JesseCuster, 23 May 2014 - 02:29 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,869 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

is pretty naive to think there is no other life forms out there, shame money is the most important thing really, the amount spent on wars could cover the costs to try and find them. 20 years? yep, sure is risky cos he will  need another top up if he has not found anything. 20 years sounds a long time, but its nothing really when space is concerned. I can not donate, but wish them well.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,690 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

They're just in it for the money.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#9    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,397 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Were all in this just for the money, Its how we feed,cloth,put a roof over our heads. Its sad that some people just cant understand that Life is out there, and the only question ,is whne we get to know ?

This is a Work in Progress!

#10    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,985 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

I was always wondering why SETI does not get the needed money from the standard research funds. Compared to other expenses
financed out of the public box the budget required by SETI is quite low. And to keep it in mind again, the SETI research project is
giving the option for one of the biggest discovery in human history ever, if not the biggest one ever.

Edited by toast, 23 May 2014 - 03:01 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#11    Astra-

Astra-

Poltergeist

• 2,282 posts

• You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

They already know that they exist. This is just smoke and mirrors by leaking it out slowly to the masses.
Baby steps, so it doesn't turn the church and their die hard followers and believers up side down on their proverbial heads. Many, many people are aware and suspect that they exist...and many, many people are still in denial and will possibly remain so.

#12    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostAstra00, on 23 May 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

They already know that they exist. This is just smoke and mirrors by leaking it out slowly to the masses.
Baby steps, so it doesn't turn the church and their die hard followers and believers up side down on their proverbial heads. Many, many people are aware and suspect that they exist...and many, many people are still in denial and will possibly remain so.

Stating something as fact without evidence is irrational.  Characterizing the lack of evidence as denial is delusional.  Is that really the message you want to send?

#13    Astra-

Astra-

Poltergeist

• 2,282 posts

• You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

View Postsinewave, on 23 May 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Stating something as fact without evidence is irrational.  Characterizing the lack of evidence as denial is delusional.  Is that really the message you want to send?
I'm entitled to my opinion sinewave....as much as you are entitled to yours. This is part of MY belief....and that's all to it.

Posted Image

#14    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

I don't see how going before a House Committee to explain why your project needs money is akin to greed.  These scientists probably really believe in their mission, so they are being as optimistic as they need to be in order to keep it going.

Unfortunately, that is the way things are done in our country.

I applaud their efforts, and am glad to think a part of my money (via taxes) goes to help fund such important endevours.

I'd much rather have it spend there than on the NSA's spy on everyone program.

#15    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

"Please keep us funded for twenty more years. That's when I retire."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users