Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

The mystery of the Solway Spaceman

solway spaceman jim templeton

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
317 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,039 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

On a bright summer's day in 1964, a Carlisle fireman took a photo of his daughter that created headlines around the world. Fifty years later are we any closer to solving the mystery of the "Solway Spaceman"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...umbria-27391210

Remember this? We've had threads about this famous picture before but I thought an update would be interesting to read.

Posted Image

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

i think its a picture of a rambler facing away from the camera, the person has grey hair and the sun is shining on the left side making it appear like a helmet. if the person wasnt aware that a picture was being taken then they wouldnt be able to come forward and say its was them.

Edited by Ever Learning, 23 May 2014 - 10:15 PM.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,307 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

You mean that famous photo of someone walking up a hill behind a little girl?
If I was her father and saw a ******* spaceman behind my daughter, I'd not be taking a photo, I'd be taking her and running like the clappers.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• 1,557 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

That was spooky. The most interesting was when the Blue Streak missile in Woomera, Australia, cancelled a test because "spacemen" appeared in the area. They looked like the "spaceman" in the photo. Carlisle is where that picture was taken and also it's where Blue Streak comes from.

I don't know if I Can accept the "spacemen in Woomera" story or not. It doesn't add up. First of all the report of the "spacemen" was really said that "two figures clad in white" seen in area of the test site. There was film of the Blue Streak tests. Reports indicate that the missile was cancelled because of technical problems.

Not everything is explained

#5    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 23 May 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

You mean that famous photo of someone walking up a hill behind a little girl?
If I was her father and saw a ******* spaceman behind my daughter, I'd not be taking a photo, I'd be taking her and running like the clappers.

I've never been convinced by the debunk attempts that purport to show that it was a guy behind the girl.  The perspective is all wrong and he would need to have legs ten feet long.

There was something strange that occurred that day; the parallel sighting also needs to be explained.

View PostRose-Red Howler, on 23 May 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

That was spooky. The most interesting was when the Blue Streak missile in Woomera, Australia, cancelled a test because "spacemen" appeared in the area. They looked like the "spaceman" in the photo. Carlisle is where that picture was taken and also it's where Blue Streak comes from.

I don't know if I Can accept the "spacemen in Woomera" story or not. It doesn't add up. First of all the report of the "spacemen" was really said that "two figures clad in white" seen in area of the test site. There was film of the Blue Streak tests. Reports indicate that the missile was cancelled because of technical problems.

Shame we have no image of this event.  That would have intensified the mystery.

Posted Image

#6    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostEver Learning, on 23 May 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

i think its a picture of a rambler facing away from the camera, the person has grey hair and the sun is shining on the left side making it appear like a helmet. if the person wasnt aware that a picture was being taken then they wouldnt be able to come forward and say its was them.

It's not that simple.  Look at the distance to the ground.  Legs ten feet long?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• 1,557 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

View Postzoser, on 24 May 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Shame we have no image of this event.  That would have intensified the mystery.

http://spacemancentr...treak-incident/

Not everything is explained

#8    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostRose-Red Howler, on 24 May 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the link.  I take it the image is not of the actual incident?

Posted Image

#9    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,839 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Beekeeper.

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

#10    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

View Posttoast, on 24 May 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Beekeeper.

With enormously long legs.  Maybe he was an alien bee keeper?

:lol:

Posted Image

#11    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,590 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

View Postzoser, on 24 May 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

With enormously long legs.  Maybe he was an alien bee keeper?

:lol:

Has anyone ever tried to reproduce this photo?  If its not a hoax i.e. A kids toy on a stick etc, we know the camera type, location, participants, time, sunangle and day the photo was snapped it would only be childs play to bust this myth wide open.

Edited by taniwha, 24 May 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#12    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 24 May 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Has anyone ever tried to reproduce this photo?  If its not a hoax i.e. A kids toy on a stick etc, we know the camera type, location, participants, time, sunangle and day the photo was snapped it would only be childs play to bust this myth wide open.

Some wag tried to do analysis years ago trying to prove it was some dude behind the camera.

It wasn't convincing and the enigma persists.  The basic problem is that the perspective is all wrong for it to be a guy behind.

If the head was lower no one would have given this case a second look.  You only have to look at the image to see something is wrong with the idea.  The legs would need to be ten feet long.

Posted Image

#13    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,590 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

View Postzoser, on 24 May 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Some wag tried to do analysis years ago trying to prove it was some dude behind the camera.

It wasn't convincing and the enigma persists.  The basic problem is that the perspective is all wrong for it to be a guy behind.

If the head was lower no one would have given this case a second look.  You only have to look at the image to see something is wrong with the idea.  The legs would need to be ten feet long.

I agree the heights are wrong to the human senses, but might appear just right from an old fashioned cameras perspective.  Its definately out of focus, the human eye would not have been that discriminate.

#14    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,039 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 24 May 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Has anyone ever tried to reproduce this photo?
Without success if they did.

Film company Kodak said the same and even offered a reward to anyone who could prove the photo was faked. It was never claimed.

Posted Image

#15    Hvashi

Hvashi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

Whatever the real story is, there's something so eerie about the image. It's very disquieting :-(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users