Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Shostak dismisses claims of alien visitation

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

SETI astronomer Seth Shostak doesn't believe that we have ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

Despite passionately pursuing the hunt for extraterrestrial intelligence in the universe, SETI's Seth Shostak is not convinced by the thousands of sightings of Unidentified Flying Objects, alien abduction accounts and other similar reports that seemingly indicate that we may not be alone.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...lien-visitation

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

So basically what he's saying is, all the high-ranking military officers testifying in the Disclosure Project in 2001 and the Citizen Hearing in 2013 - they watch too many movies?

#3    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostRolci, on 26 May 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

So basically what he's saying is, all the high-ranking military officers testifying in the Disclosure Project in 2001 and the Citizen Hearing in 2013 - they watch too many movies?

It's another example of what I call 'Casual Expert Syndrome'.

He's probably seen a few youtube video's with laser pens and CGI and drawn his brilliant conclusion.

Posted Image

#4    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thats correct.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#5    phantasia

phantasia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• "Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism."
    DAVID SUZUKI

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

POPULAR

Ah, so watching more YouTube videos makes you an "expert".  Zoser must have his PhD by now.  Oh wait....

Edited by phantasia, 26 May 2014 - 11:55 AM.

The truth need never fear ridicule.  ~ Sir Wearer of Hats

Psychosocial hypothesis in Ufology : http://en.wikipedia....cial_hypothesis

#6    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostUM-Bot, on 26 May 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

SETI astronomer Seth Shostak doesn't believe that we have ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...lien-visitation

Notice how little he backs up his revelation.

Opinions are three hundred to the dollar.   Worthless.

Posted Image

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Yes, correct, thats what he basically says:

"When Jules Verne wrote about flying saucers, everybody started seeing flying saucers. Before that people saw angels. When people watch movies then we get a lot of reports that are tied to what’s in the movies."

http://www.independe...in-9435005.html

And I agree with him.
Anyone who believe these high ranking officials have fallen straight into their cunning little plan, "the gullible will believe us"! They want people to believe in ET so they do,not ask questions on what they are really up to....building high tech undetectable planes, and jeebus knows what experiments they are doing behind closed labs.

You keep looking up at them skies, saves you looking at what is really happening on the ground.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Astra00

Astra00

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

• You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

What a shame that Seth Shostak did a turn about.... especially after all the committed and hard work he put into it  :unsure2:

Even Churchill and Eisenhower believed we were being visited in WW11.

Didn't they agree to cover up a Raf Aircraft plane's UFO encounter?  They were certainly not unintelligent men :innocent:

~ Never let anyone define who you are ~

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,237 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

If you'd read the article they do make a distinction between ufo's and aliens visiting. Their claim is the one hasnt anything to do with the other

Edited by seeder, 26 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

View Postzoser, on 26 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

It's another example of what I call 'Casual Expert Syndrome'.
He's probably seen a few youtube video's with laser pens and CGI and drawn his brilliant conclusion.
It seems that you have a very little idea about the knowledge, skills and work of Shostak and you can be sure that he
don`t harvest his knowledge from lousy YT clips as you mostly do. Your problem with Shostak is simple to explain. He
is a scientist so he is working with facts that are verifiable and he is using tools that are able to provide verifiable facts
in case of contact. He does not judge blurry pics/clips showing some light effects, blops on windows or "testimonials"
of drunken farmers as a proof of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life forms present on earth, in the past and/or
present. But you are doing that. In addition, he did not finally excluded these options, he just stated that he does not
believe so as there is no evidence for such events, means real evidence and not that kind of modificated evidence that
you are using. And you by youself are judging a lot of sightings as a proof of aliens even if you do not have verifiable
evidence to back your claims. Do you see the difference between Shostak and your person now?

And as you are one of the believers that the aliens are still here I would like to ask you a question: are you an active
member of the seti@home community?

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#11    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostAstra00, on 26 May 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Didn't they agree to cover up a Raf Aircraft plane's UFO encounter?  They were certainly not unintelligent men :innocent:

I'm sure there has been plenty of examples of this kind of thing.  Both in the US and the UK.

Posted Image

#12    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

View Posttoast, on 26 May 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

It seems that you have a very little idea about the knowledge, skills and work of Shostak and you can be sure that he
don`t harvest his knowledge from lousy YT clips as you mostly do. Your problem with Shostak is simple to explain. He
is a scientist so he is working with facts that are verifiable and he is using tools that are able to provide verifiable facts
in case of contact. He does not judge blurry pics/clips showing some light effects, blops on windows or "testimonials"
of drunken farmers as a proof of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life forms present on earth, in the past and/or
present. But you are doing that. In addition, he did not finally excluded these options, he just stated that he does not
believe so as there is no evidence for such events, means real evidence and not that kind of modificated evidence that
you are using. And you by youself are judging a lot of sightings as a proof of aliens even if you do not have verifiable
evidence to back your claims. Do you see the difference between Shostak and your person now?

And as you are one of the believers that the aliens are still here I would like to ask you a question: are you an active

How much study into Ufology cases of the last 70 years has he done do you think?

Compare that to the well known Ufologers such as Hynek, Friedmann, etc.

Find out at and report back.

Edited by zoser, 26 May 2014 - 12:25 PM.

Posted Image

#13    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

What a shame that Seth Shostak did a turn about.... especially after all the committed and hard work he put into it  :unsure2:
What turn? Shostak never claimed that aliens were/are present on earth.

Even Churchill and Eisenhower believed we were being visited in WW11.
So what.

Even an IQ of 170 does not automatically protect from insanity or exclude weird thoughts generally.

#14    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

View Postzoser, on 26 May 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

How much study into Ufology cases of the last 70 years has he done do you think?

Hynek didn't believe that the ufo reports were alien spacecraft either

#15    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

If you have searched for 70 years in your own poo-poo for gold nuggets does not mean that you have a
70y experience in gold-seeking but it means that you have searched at the wrong place.

I do not compare scientific research and its methods and results with such originated stuff in general.

My correct answer would not be in compliance with the forum rules but the answer contains my body part
that I´m sitting on and your body part that you need to articulate. :yes:

BTW:

View Posttoast, on 26 May 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

BTW2:

View Posttoast, on 24 May 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

What altitude the object in the clip had reached do you think and based on what facts do you measured this? How high can a
RC drone go as per your opinion?
http://www.unexplain...1

BTW3:

View Posttoast, on 01 May 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Is your grammar in the German language perfect, Mr. Z.?
http://www.unexplain...4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users