Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA aims to sail across Titan's alien seas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

The only known moon with a thick atmosphere, Titan has been a prime target of interest for scientists.

When the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft first peered through the clouds surrounding Saturn's enigmatic moon, what it found was not a barren landscape of dust and rock but a more familiar world of lakes, seas and even rain, but composed of liquid hydrocarbons instead of water.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...tans-alien-seas

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

While very worthwhile IMHO, I wonder what the construction of the buoy would be.  We think we know what makes up the seas of Titan, but if we're wrong, the buoy could sink quickly if not made of the proper corrosion-resistant materials.

#3    maximusnow

maximusnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 208 posts

• Science is a road trip and facts are the photos we take on the way, the fuel that propels us is ignorance.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Titan is so extreme, it will surely be held together by one of the most incredible inventions of all time. Yes friend, I am talkin bout Alabama fix it all! Florida gator glue!  Tennessee Billy bond! Georgia prepper patch!  Aka:  Duct tape.

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

Just getting there will be half the battle, then there is landing, or perhaps splashdown is more precise, in a totally alien environment. The frigid temperatures, the relative density of the liquid, weather unlike any on Earth will certainly make for a difficult trip for the probe. 2040, hope I live long enough to see it!

#5    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think submarine would be a good way to go.

#6    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,686 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

View Postmaximusnow, on 28 May 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Titan is so extreme, it will surely be held together by one of the most incredible inventions of all time. Yes friend, I am talkin bout Alabama fix it all! Florida gator glue!  Tennessee Billy bond! Georgia prepper patch!  Aka:  Duct tape.

You sir would be an excellent travelling salesman.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#7    Silent Trinity

Silent Trinity

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• Conspiracy Theorist: Nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

It certainly is a mammoth undertaking, but if they get it right the results will be worth it i'm sure. I think one thing is for certain, they need to construct this lander (or should that be floater?) with as many contingency design features as possible. As others have mentioned there is the temperature, liquid density, getting the buoyancy right given the unknown composition of the oceans, giving it the ability to be submersible if needed, and indeed to recover from that state if it did find itself beneath the waves.

Speaking as a 41 year old...I hope I am alive to see it! (wow that made me feel old)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users