Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Human teleportation ‘could become reality’

professor ronald hanson teleportation beaming up beam me up scotty

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 42,518 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Star Trek-style ''beaming up'' of people through space could become a reality sometime in the far future, the leader of a landmark teleportation experiment has said.

Nothing in the laws of physics prevents the teleportation of large objects, including humans, Professor Ronald Hanson pointed out.

http://www.telegraph...me-reality.html

Posted Image

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 18,751 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

As much as I like Star Trek, teleportation is just something I would not want to do!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,483 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Beware of flies!

#4    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 2,883 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Since the process of teleporting involves breaking down your body at the molecular level, don't you technically die every time you do it? :passifier:

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#5    maximusnow

maximusnow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Science is a road trip and facts are the photos we take on the way, the fuel that propels us is ignorance.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

What about the conscience, spirit or soul? I read a story about a man, who weighed multiple persons at the exact moment of death to record the weight of their souls. He discovered repeatedly that 23 grams was the difference. His device instantly changed at the moment of the soul’s departure. We would need a way to mark the atoms to verify that it was transmitted and not copied.

#6    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

• ... man isn't fit to live if he hasn't found something worth dying for...

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 30 May 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Since the process of teleporting involves breaking down your body at the molecular level, don't you technically die every time you do it? :passifier:

Its interesting. If teleportation becomes reality then its possible to expect that we could break dying person down to molecular level and 'fix' his hearth or brain so when he gets materialized again, he would feel refreshed and healthy. I mean, if u have technology to turn a man into molecules then u are capable of making changes to those molecules - in any way u like.

...If you’re thinking like everyone else, then you aren’t thinking...

#7    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

The amount of energy required for this would be staggering.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,190 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

While Prof Hansen is correct in stating that 'Star Trek style' teleportation is not impossible by any Law of Physics we know, the article is incorrect when it assumes his advancement in teleportation gives us any indication that it would be possible to 'beam' someone (or something) from one place to another Star Trek style.

The only means of teleportation we know of is possible involves particles already in an 'entangled' state, but the Star Trek teleportation does not make use of quantum entanglement, but relies on matter deconstruction and reconstruction - something we are not capable of doing even if it is theoretically feasible.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    Orphalesion

Orphalesion

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 30 May 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

View Postmaximusnow, on 30 May 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

What about the conscience, spirit or soul? I read a story about a man, who weighed multiple persons at the exact moment of death to record the weight of their souls. He discovered repeatedly that 23 grams was the difference. His device instantly changed at the moment of the soul's departure. We would need a way to mark the atoms to verify that it was transmitted and not copied.

Well that's the fun question to speculate about, isn't it? What if teleportation ends up proving that the soul exist and all the people the process is tried on end up in a persisted vegetative state? What if they act fully normal, does this mean there is no such thing as a soul or does the soul simply "hone in" on the new location of the body? Or is a new soul, just having the same memories as the old one?

I have heard the 23 grams stuff a couple of times, but I have a bit of a problem with it. I'm not quite sure if the soul is matter and has a weight, it's after all not of the physical world. If we accept that it has a weight, wouldn't we also be obliged to revive all those old superstitions about whether its possible to swallow a departing soul by being in the same room as a dying person or regard dream catchers as highly dangerous instruments that can imprison our souls?

View PostSir Smoke aLot, on 30 May 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Its interesting. If teleportation becomes reality then its possible to expect that we could break dying person down to molecular level and 'fix' his hearth or brain so when he gets materialized again, he would feel refreshed and healthy. I mean, if u have technology to turn a man into molecules then u are capable of making changes to those molecules - in any way u like.

As far as I remember they can do that in Star Trek, but never do it because it would remove a lot of potential for drama that a television show relies on. They even save a copy of a person's blue-prints in the computer and could theoretically assemble a new one each time someone dies, but then you can't have characters die, even if their actors decide o leave or want a pay rise.  The transporter was a fun device full of potential they rarely used.
And yup, the medical benefits teleportation would bring mankind would be truly awesome. Cancer? We just teleport you and leave the tumors/cancerous cells in the old location!

And beyond that those changes you mention: Making a person younger. Copying a person to replace a dead one or even to create a double. Perhaps change aspects by not filtering out color pigments ("curing" somebody of being red haired? Permanently bleaching someones hair?)
And then we get into the real dangerous,mad scientist territory: slicing  person apart by teleporting only portions of their body, scattering somebody's molecules through the cosmos, teleporting somebody's entire skin off, fusing two people into one by mixing their molecules, fusing a person with an animal...

#10    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• 1,127 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostLilly, on 30 May 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

As much as I like Star Trek, teleportation is just something I would not want to do!
Your last name McCoy by any chance?

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 16,444 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

I was watching a show about string theory where teleportation was discussed and all of the physicists that talked about it were unanimous saying they would never do it personally.

#12    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• 1,127 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

@Orphalesion "As far as I remember they can do that in Star Trek, but never do it because it would remove a lot of potential for drama that a television show relies on. They even save a copy of a person's blue-prints in the computer and could theoretically assemble a new one each time someone dies, but then you can't have characters die, even if their actors decide o leave or want a pay rise.  The transporter was a fun device full of potential they rarely used.
And yup, the medical benefits teleportation would bring mankind would be truly awesome. Cancer? We just teleport you and leave the tumors/cancerous cells in the old location!"      
ST-TNG actually did do that to Diana Muldaur's character in an episolde where she caught some type of disease on an outpost.  In that episode, Riker found a hair in a brush to allow Geordie to reconstruct Dr. Pulaski as she was before she contracted the disease.  Geordie needed the hair as he stated the "patterns" were not stored in the transporter after the end of transport.

#13    Welsh Shaun

Welsh Shaun

Psychic Spy

• 1,964 posts

• If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

I thought this was shown to work before?

#14    MJNYC

MJNYC

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

I'm with Rich from Star Trek - I don't like the teleporter. )

#15    Joe2112

Joe2112

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Very funny Scotty, now beam my pants down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users