Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do All People have Psychic Abilities?

psychic paranormal

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    XenoFish

XenoFish

Time Lord

• 5,457 posts

• There is always something wonderful to experience, if you open your mind.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

I have psychotic abilities, stuff starts flying whenever I get into a rage. Including porcupines and mongooses in G-strings. LOL

There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things that act against everything we believe in.They must be fought.

People spend all their time making nice things and then other people come along and break them!

#17    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

View Postdr no, on 31 May 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

There is no hard evidence to suggest humans have such abilities,just a lot of anecdotes,charlatans and con men

I disagree. If we look at what has been done in the field of parapsychology in the last few decades, there is some very interesting data that suggest psychic abilities (PK , RSPK, clairvoyance, precognition) may exist, to some extent. But unfortunately a lot of people choose to ignore this.

Edited by sam_comm, 31 May 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#18    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,394 posts

• Beliefs won't make you a better person but your actions will.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 31 May 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

I disagree. If we look at what has been done in the field of parapsychology in the last few decades, there is some very interesting data that suggest psychic abilities (PK , RSPK, clairvoyance, precognition) may exist, to some extent. But unfortunately a lot of people choose to ignore this.

It is hard to do real research when all you have to go on is anecdotes or the say-so of others.

Sure, "research" has been conducted but so far it has yielded nothing that could come close to being called "conclusive".

#19    Nenaraz

Nenaraz

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

View Postthe.truth.is.out.there.x, on 31 May 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

Many people believe that all humans have special abilities; in many religions there are people who can perform miracles, and some people claim to have developed abilities. According to scientists, there is a large portion of the human brain that is not in use. Could that section contain special abilities? Can some people tap into an energy that results in psychic powers, or a sixth sense?

I'd say that all people can have precognition abilities, however not all the times. Only during special events, usually for a very small period of time and usually not for something significant. I've met a person who's really a psychic and she's able to see the future of people which is very scary for me. I wouldn't try this too much, though, since it can really skew the perception of reality to the point of no return. I think it's possible to practice the precognition ability.

#20    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:59 AM

View PostRyu, on 31 May 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

It is hard to do real research when all you have to go on is anecdotes or the say-so of others.

And what about putting these abilities to the test? That's exactly what parapsychologists do in their labs. Never heard about the Gandzfeld experiment, the Random Number Generator (RNG) or Direct Mental Interactions With Living Systems (DMILS) experiments for exemple?

View PostRyu, on 31 May 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Sure, "research" has been conducted but so far it has yielded nothing that could come close to being called "conclusive".

You're right, psychical research is far from conclusive, no one in this field will deny that. Still, experiments in parapsychology have yielded very interesting results and what's intriguing about this is that these data can be reproduced independently and consistently. But then again research on these subject is regarded with full of contempt and prejudice in the scientific community. Some believe such thing should not even be researched! So you're kind of left with marginal but very competent scientists working in small departments these days, yet parapsychology remains a legitimate field, part of the AAAS.

So when someone suggest that there is '' just a lot of anecdotes,charlatans and con men'' I beg to differ.

Edited by sam_comm, 01 June 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#21    Blue Star

Blue Star

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,774 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

I believe so but mostly it is a latent, untapped or discarded ability.

I see it as tuning into any given radio station (Vibration). You can tune in or out of, depending on your alignment… What you allow or not.

#22    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,481 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

View Postthe.truth.is.out.there.x, on 31 May 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

According to scientists, there is a large portion of the human brain that is not in use.

Completely untrue.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#23    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,992 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

View Postsam_comm, on 31 May 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

Could you point me in the direction of some of this research? Its hard to find amongst all the complete and utter guff.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#24    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 4,978 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

And yet AGAIN I would ask sam-comm to post the best example.  NOT metastatistics, or handwaving about Ganzfeld (note spelling...) tests and the like - just the best actual example of some peer-reviewed PROOF...

Here and here are examples of why Ganzfeld experiments (as an example) are useless as formal scientific tests... so why not post one that shows a proper scientific test - ie ones that (f'rinstance):
- use OBJECTIVE not SUBJECTIVE analysis of results
- have PROPER controls, (eg double blind, null hypothesis, falsifiability, etc)

Why is showing a decent peer-reviewed experiment that shows an unquestionable effect, such a hard thing to do?

I'll tell you why - such tests ALWAYS show no statistical effects whatsoever.  It's only the highly questionable, usually over-complicated ones done by fringe 'researchers' like Radin, Sheldrake and Utts, which are the ones where serious flaws and 'cheating' can creep in either knowingly or unknowingly, and that rely on the flawed experiment designs, subjectivity and poor controls to skew the results.

And IF those who support this stuff were brave enough to post a peer-reviewed study where they believe a significant effect was proven and that was completely subjective and properly undertaken, I'll be very happy to change my mind ... if it stands up.

I don't IGNORE them - I vigorously dispute the ones I've seen (as I dispute any BAD science) and await a decent one.  Anyone wish to post a good one?

Edited by ChrLzs, 01 June 2014 - 10:30 AM.

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#25    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 01 June 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Could you point me in the direction of some of this research? Its hard to find amongst all the complete and utter guff.

Here are some of the best Nonlocal mind evidence (peer-reviewed cumulative), according to Dr Emmaunele Tressoldi, Università di Padova, Italia:

http://www.psy.unipd...etical-evidence

Very interesting stuff. :)

Edited by sam_comm, 01 June 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#26    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostChrLzs, on 01 June 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Here and here are examples of why Ganzfeld experiments (as an example) are useless as formal scientific tests... so why not post one that shows a proper scientific test - ie ones that (f'rinstance):

The first link your provided on the skeptic forum seemed to contain some interesting elements, until it happened to be a thread bashing Parapsychology, (woo-believers as they call it there) providing lecture by Ray Hyman and... Susan Blackmore (http://archived.para...re_critique.htm).  I'll have to pass on this one, ChrLz.

- use OBJECTIVE not SUBJECTIVE analysis of results
- have PROPER controls, (eg double blind, null hypothesis, falsifiability, etc)

Care to show some concrete exemple that does not apply this standard? Study, paper? There has been some flawed experiments in Parapsychology, that's for sure (Susan Blackmore a former parapsychologist did made quite a few herself)  but that is not restricted to the field of Parapsychology as Human mistakes are part of science. As it stands right now you seem to make more of a hasty generalization than anything else.

It seems to me that your only reference point seems to be revolving around Ray Hyman. While Ryman has pointed flaws in psychical research (which thanks to him has been adressed) he also did make some serious technical errors in his methodology.

As George P. Hansen points out in an interesting piece of paper:

Despite his contributions to the understanding of methodological issues, Hyman’s work is not flawless. He has made a number of mistakes on technical matters, some quite serious. This is ironic because he has incessantly complained about the technical errors of others, and he has billed himself as having a special interest in “human error, especially ‘mistakes’ made by highly competent individuals.”5

Source: http://www.trickster...HymanReview.htm ( with concrete exemple provided.)

I'll tell you why - such tests ALWAYS show no statistical effects whatsoever.  It's only the highly questionable, usually over-complicated ones done by fringe 'researchers' like Radin, Sheldrake and Utts, which are the ones where serious flaws and 'cheating' can creep in either knowingly or unknowingly, and that rely on the flawed experiment designs, subjectivity and poor controls to skew the results.

Again such inaccurate statement prove that you are not informed of the research done in this field.  I refer you to the paper of Lance Storm, Patrizio E. Tressoldi and Lorenzo Di Risio that disprove your assumption:

http://www.psy.unipd...ce_Storm012.pdf

Edited by sam_comm, 01 June 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#27    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 01 June 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Again such inaccurate statement prove that you are not informed of the research done in this field.  I refer you to the paper of Lance Storm, Patrizio E. Tressoldi and Lorenzo Di Risio that disprove your assumption:

http://www.psy.unipd...ce_Storm012.pdf

I just want to add that this research paper belongs to Dr Tressoldi's wesbite and can be found here: http://www.psy.unipd...etical-evidence

Edited by sam_comm, 01 June 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#28    Simatong

Simatong

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

• "Life is what you make it...So let's make some friggin' ice cream, dude!

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

I believe that the vast majority of human beings do not possess psychic abilities (which annoys me when parapsychologists try testing your run-of-the-mill person, because if psychic abilities, however theoretical, are usually only claimed by and/or found among an extremely small number of the populace, then trying to find them in random people instead of targeting the specific claimants or those who have seemingly experienced a slough of phenomena is a bit counterintuitive). I genuinely do believe psychic abilities exist, but I believe that they are, again, extremely rare and misunderstood, a problem confounded by the fact that many people associate easily explainable phenomena with psychic/psionic abilities without thinking about things from a rational perspective. As for the person who asked what use would these abilities have, it really isn't about an evolutionary advantage; many gifts (referring to the mundane here) are not really advantageous to the human race, if you want to be technical; being a good singer, a good writer, or even a good linguist isn't evolutionarily necessary; doesn't mean the gifts aren't valuable to someone~~to some people in general. Just my two cents.

Edited by Simatong, 01 June 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#29    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 4,978 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 01 June 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

So that's it? A META-study (did you read the requests at all?) that is ONLY 'published' in the 'Journal of Parapsychology' (an esteemed organisation if I ever saw one - see below) and that is not peer-reviewed... and includes - apart from unbounding enthusiasm and claims (not at all supported) that no bias was found in the experiments - these words:

We stress, however, that effects on average are very weak for precognition, clairvoyance, and even telepathy ..

OK, then.  But forgive my sarcasm..  

I repeat - the only place that paper has seen light of day is the Journal of Parapsychology, agreed?  Now, is this an accurate list of the members of the board of that organisation? (hint, yes):

Daryl J. Bem, Ph.D.
Roger Nelson, Ph.D.
John Palmer, Ph.D.
Dean Radin, Ph.D.
Jessica M. Utts, Ph.D.

Refer back to my post above and look at who I named - Geez, the only one missing is Sheldrake.  I'll be going into some detail about these pretenders later (I am off to work right now) - plus I can prove conflicts of interest, quite apart from what we shall see when I get time to go over that paper...

Radin and Utts in particular are no scientists and are an embarrassment - again, I will show why, with cites and links to their very own words...

We are certainly off to a flying start...  Just remember that you chose that one, Sam.........

BBL

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#30    the.truth.is.out.there.x

the.truth.is.out.there.x

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

• "The Truth Is Out There"
    - The X Files

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

View Postsimplybill, on 31 May 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

the.truth.is.out.there.x -

This is somewhat of a misconception. We use 100% of our brain, though at any one time we're only "actively" using about 10%.
If you're interested in another perspective on psychic ability, I recommend "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker. He explains how our subconscious minds can almost instantly size up a situation and provide insight.

For example, I had a situation that I might have attributed to psychic ability if it had occurred prior to my reading deBecker's book. One of my coworkers was married to a man whose company had a contract with the company I worked for. She had foot surgery and was recovering at home, when one day she stumbled and fell, striking her head on the cement edge of an ornamental pond in the yard. She died soon afterward. About two months later I ran into her husband. I was instantly filled with a sense of dread, and I thought, "Oh My God, he killed her." I was absolutely certain he had murdered his wife. Not long afterwards he was arrested, found guilty, and is serving a life sentence for murder.

Using the guidelines I'd learned from "The Gift of Fear", I went through my experience frame-by-frame. I recalled that in every conversation I'd had with the husband, I'd noticed his emotionless tone of voice and aloof demeanour; some people might call him "a cold fish". I'd talked to his wife about six months before she died, and she had mentioned how different their personalities were: he was a rugged, outdoors kind of guy (camping and mountain-biking), while she leaned toward a more "princess" kind of lfestyle. She was concerned about the two of them finding common ground in their marriage.

My brother-in-law had a thick beard, but after he fell in love and got married, he shaved his beard. He told me, "I used to hide behind that beard. I don't have to hide anymore".  When I saw my cowworker's husband two months after his wife's death, he had grown a thick beard that covered half his face. His aloof demeanour had also changed: he now had a slight smirk about his mouth, and his eyelids were narrowed. He'd become arrogant.

All of those clues were added up in my subconscious, and a conclusion was reached before I even knew what was going on.

Having said that, there are two other incidents in my life that seem to have been actual psychic occurences that I have no explanation for. I'd be happy to share those two incidents if you're interested.
That would be cool. I'm always interested in a good paranormal story :)

~TrustNoOne~

Also tagged with psychic, paranormal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users