Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Scientists Issued a Statement on E-Cigarettes

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,372 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

The news: Fifty-three scientists have written to the UN's World Health Organization Director General Margaret Chan cautioning her not to classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products, which would then lead to stricter regulatory controls on the nascent industry.
The scientists say that e-cigarettes are "part of the solution" to worldwide tobacco addiction.
"These products could be among the most significant health innovations of the 21st century — perhaps saving hundreds of millions of lives. The urge to control and suppress them as tobacco products should be resisted," they said.

http://www.policymic...campaign=social

I thought this interesting to share.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

At 1st I thought the tobacco companies would not like this, but then it seems they will:

Tobacco manufacturers are moving into the manufacture and sale of electronic cigarettes,

http://www.drugfree....rette-business/

Edited by freetoroam, 31 May 2014 - 08:40 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,070 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

The reason tobacco products are regulated is because of their nicotine content - and e-cigarettes are usually smoked with a fluid solution containing nicotine. They are not designed to reduce the psychological dependency of smokers (like patches or gum are), nor are they designed to reduce the physical dependency on nicotine.

While they are not 'tobacco products', they should be regulated as tobacco cigarettes are regulated.

The only non-regulated e-cigarettes should be those which are used to smoke solutions not containing nicotine, and to ensure the regulation of the nicotine-containing solution can be enforced, separate non-compatible/non-convertible models should be developed for nicotine and non-nicotine use.

Edited by Leonardo, 31 May 2014 - 08:51 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

What is a bit confusing is this:

Leaked documents demonstrate that the WHO views electronic cigarettes as a "threat" to global health and desires to classify them as regular tobacco products under the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC); 178 countries are party to the agreement, and regulation could threaten some of the $3 billion in worldwide sales posted in 2013. Big Tobacco for once is backing the scientists, insisting the devices allow smokers to have a less-risky alternative. (Major cigarette companies, of course, see e-cigarettes as both a major potential competitor and the future of the industry.)
http://www.policymic...campaign=social

Surely the WHO would have had top scientists doing the test for them, to be able to come out with this.
Also about the (Major cigarette companies, of course, see e-cigarettes as both a major potential competitor and the future of the industry.)...not quite according to this:
http://www.drugfree....rette-business/

Edited by freetoroam, 31 May 2014 - 09:11 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    RoofGardener

RoofGardener

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

• Look upon my Plantpots ye mighty, and despair.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Are patches/gums regulated ? They contain nicotine surely ?

In terms of the health risk: Nicotine is classed as the addictive component of regular cigarettes, but are they classified as the primary health risk ? I thought that was particulates in the smoke ?

"We rejected freedom yesterday, we rejected freedom today and we reject your freedom tomorrow," Sufyan Bada, "moderate" Australian Muslim Leader, commenting on the Charlie Hebdo murders and the concept of "freedom of speech". So when they come for YOUR freedom, you can't claim you didn't know what they stood for.

#6    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,070 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostRoofGardener, on 31 May 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Are patches/gums regulated ? They contain nicotine surely ?

In terms of the health risk: Nicotine is classed as the addictive component of regular cigarettes, but are they classified as the primary health risk ? I thought that was particulates in the smoke ?

I think you're right about the health risk, but it's the nicotine which gets the smoker physically addicted enough to cause the damage through habitual use.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#7    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,326 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

I have found that switching to an e cigarette has made quiting an actual attainable goal now. It's hard to stop smoking.  Really hard. I have been without a regular cigarette for over 2 months now and have even stepped down the amount of nicotine in the fluid I get. I'll be stepping it down again soon and then, with any luck, get off the nicotine entirely.  I know several people that have successfully quit in such a manner.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,045 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

Notice they said the manufacture does not have disclose what is in them.  You could be smoking formaldehyde for all you know.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,607 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

From OP article:

"hard qualitative analysis showed that political, social and economic factors are now major challenges for" tobacco companies. And while these giants would obviously prefer that people keep buying the 6 trillion traditional cigarettes sold worldwide each year, major tobacco companies like Philip Morris see huge survival and growth opportunities in electronic smoking devices.

Whatever keeps you hooked and spending. E-Cigs.....the new cool!!

Edited by jugoso, 01 June 2014 - 01:11 AM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#10    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,039 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

This is all being considered because of greed,no other reason.I have many friends who have switched over and some have completely quit because of these devices.1000's of known chemicals cut down to a few,no second hand smoke,no nasty smell,and overall much cheaper.The ones who wont be collecting all that extra tax cash are the only ones who want these  to be put into the same class as cigarettes.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#11    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,314 posts

• “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.”-Shaun Hick

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

I bought an expensive e-cig when they first came out.. It cost me like around $70 I believe..

It didn't help me do anything, I smoked all of the cartridges that were supposed to last a month in a day and night.. Being an outside smoker, it made it easier to smoke constantly inside.

After the cartridges ran out, I went back to smoking. lol

I plan on quitting, I just doubt anytime soon. Sad.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#12    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,326 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 31 May 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

Notice they said the manufacture does not have disclose what is in them.  You could be smoking formaldehyde for all you know.

I was already smoking formaldehyde when I was smoking cigarettes.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,039 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 01 June 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

I was already smoking formaldehyde when I was smoking cigarettes.

And several 100's of other chemicals,glad these are helping you.Hope ya break the habit,good luck  :tu:

Edited by CrimsonKing, 01 June 2014 - 02:44 AM.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#14    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,911 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 31 May 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

The reason tobacco products are regulated is because of their nicotine content - and e-cigarettes are usually smoked with a fluid solution containing nicotine. They are not designed to reduce the psychological dependency of smokers (like patches or gum are), nor are they designed to reduce the physical dependency on nicotine.

While they are not 'tobacco products', they should be regulated as tobacco cigarettes are regulated.

The only non-regulated e-cigarettes should be those which are used to smoke solutions not containing nicotine, and to ensure the regulation of the nicotine-containing solution can be enforced, separate non-compatible/non-convertible models should be developed for nicotine and non-nicotine use.
I know people that switched to e-cigs and within weeks were using the non- nicotine fluid solution.  So they should not necessarily  be regulated the same as tobacco products considering the people that I know still use them with the harmless vegetable vapor.  (it smells like cupcakes)

Edited by OverSword, 01 June 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#15    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,039 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Thats it cupcakes,that is the scent.I kept trying to think of where i knew that smell,i compared it to waffles with a bit of syrup.Good call!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users