Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Last US POW in Afghanistan released

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,125 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:17 AM

Good and bad news.  This POW was released in exchange for what have been labeled high level taliban prisoners perhaps responsible for the deaths of thousands (per senator McKay)  Hard to say anything negative about a soldier being repatriated, but now suddenly American hostages all over the world have just been increased in value as to what may be expected for their release and it encourages hostages be taken.  Time will tell.

From the article:

Taliban fighters released the sole remaining American military hostage Saturday morning to a team of U.S. troops in eastern Afghanistan, who quickly hustled him onto a helicopter. Once airborne, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl scribbled the letters “SF?” on a paper plate, seeking confirmation that he was with Special Operations forces.

“Yes!” one of the troops hollered back above the din of the aircraft’s blades, according to a defense official who described Bergdahl’s first moments of freedom. “We’ve been looking for you for a long time.”

Bergdahl, 28, who had been held captive nearly five years, broke down in tears.

His release was secured after the Obama administration, working through Qatari government intermediaries, agreed to free five high-profile Afghan inmates held by the U.S. military in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The influential commanders, including the former head of the Taliban’s army, were loaded onto a U.S. military aircraft bound for Qatar after U.S. officials got confirmation that Bergdahl had been freed.

Bergdahl’s “safety and health were both in jeopardy,” and officials had to act quickly to obtain his release, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday, according to the Associated Press.

read the rest here

#2    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

This is a tough one. We got our guy back but we negotiated with terrorists.

Posted Image

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,125 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:32 AM

I've come up with a conspiracy for this one already.  Why make the obvious error of exchanging high level taliban prisoners for a one that will possibly be charged with going over the wall in the next day or two, set up unthinkable precedence, and will start a huge left vs right paradigm debate?  This will turn into an all encompassing poop storm  and they will use the fog of poop storm war to "backdoor"( ^_^ )some erosion of our rights or some huge boon to certain corporations for exceedingly rich tax payer funded boons.

There you have it, vast conspiracy theory combined with beavis and butthead humor.

Edited by OverSword, 02 June 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,902 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

Never leave a fallen soldier

or

never negotiate with terrorists

Tough one, glad he is released, but at what cost we are yet to find out no doubt.

I was wondering the same when I saw this one the news.

Edited by psyche101, 02 June 2014 - 06:18 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,404 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#6    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,576 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Glad the guy is free but Obama just gave-in to terrorists.  Not a wise move, in my humble opinion.

#7    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 02 June 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Now if that's true and he's a deserter it makes the situation even more complicated.
6 soldiers died looking for him and 5 terrorists released back into the wild, which could lead to many more atrocities, for one deserter.

Posted Image

#8    your_dark_passenger

your_dark_passenger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostOverSword, on 02 June 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

Good and bad news.  This POW was released in exchange for what have been labeled high level taliban prisoners perhaps responsible for the deaths of thousands (per senator McKay)  Hard to say anything negative about a soldier being repatriated, but now suddenly American hostages all over the world have just been increased in value as to what may be expected for their release and it encourages hostages be taken.  Time will tell.

From the article:

Taliban fighters released the sole remaining American military hostage Saturday morning to a team of U.S. troops in eastern Afghanistan, who quickly hustled him onto a helicopter. Once airborne, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl scribbled the letters “SF?” on a paper plate, seeking confirmation that he was with Special Operations forces.
“Yes!” one of the troops hollered back above the din of the aircraft’s blades, according to a defense official who described Bergdahl’s first moments of freedom. “We’ve been looking for you for a long time.”
Bergdahl, 28, who had been held captive nearly five years, broke down in tears.
His release was secured after the Obama administration, working through Qatari government intermediaries, agreed to free five high-profile Afghan inmates held by the U.S. military in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The influential commanders, including the former head of the Taliban’s army, were loaded onto a U.S. military aircraft bound for Qatar after U.S. officials got confirmation that Bergdahl had been freed.
Bergdahl’s “safety and health were both in jeopardy,” and officials had to act quickly to obtain his release, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday, according to the Associated Press.
read the rest here

"An American prisoner of war has been turned"

#9    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

They shoulda secretly inserted a tracking device into the terrorist and once they had their soldier back, gone and "collected" the terrorist they released :)

#10    Rut Roh

Rut Roh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

This just seems wrong....  It doesn't pass the sniff test.  Why the sense of urgency now?  Why is this particular person of such special interest to put a larger target on possible future American soldier/ civilians?  Are negotiations being conducted right now about other known held American prisoners?  Why the sudden policy shift with no warning?  Who initiated contact about this particular situation?  When?............

Jeebers, so many more questions that will just never be answered....

#11    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• 1,533 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostRut Roh, on 02 June 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

This just seems wrong....  It doesn't pass the sniff test.  Why the sense of urgency now?  Why is this particular person of such special interest to put a larger target on possible future American soldier/ civilians?  Are negotiations being conducted right now about other known held American prisoners?  Why the sudden policy shift with no warning?  Who initiated contact about this particular situation?  When?............

Jeebers, so many more questions that will just never be answered....

I don't think we should have done the exchange, but, to be completely honest, there was no shift in policy.  Prisoner exchanges have been conducted in every single war the United States has been involved in.  The word "terrorist" is thrown around far too often these days.  The Taliban are really enemy combatants.  The whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" does not apply as much to enemy combatants as it would a hijacking or hostage situation.

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,983 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Several things bother me about this: There is a possibility that the reason he was taken in the first place was that he became disillusioned with the war and went AWOL. Apparently soldiers also may have died as a result of trying to rescue him. We negotiated with terrorists. We let five of the most notorious Taliban prisoners free; that could well come back to bite us. We are relying on a second Muslim country to incarcerated them abroad (we'll see how that works). The Taliban (no surprise) are touting it as a great victory over America. The Obama administration apparently did not consult Congress and acted unilaterally in this trade.

I know there are some screaming that this is an impeachable offense, and it may well be. But never forget that as long as Harry Reid and the Democrats are in charge of the Senate, that will go nowhere. Voters, if you are really ticked off about this and other abuses: Remember this November.

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,226 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostSundew, on 02 June 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Voters, if you are really ticked off about this and other abuses: Remember this November.

Oh please, most voters won't even remember to vote in November, much less this incident.

I can't seem to find it now, but saw a nice little chart about the recent primary elections that showed that the overwhelming majority of incumbents didn't even face a primary challenger.

Keep the status quo and go back to sleep folks.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#14    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

He walked off his post.
6 SOLDIERS WERE KILLED TRYING TO RECOVER HIM.
He is a deserter which we should have just let rot.
So not only did we negotiate with terrorists and bypass Congress and release 5 high threat prisoners all we got in return was a spineless coward.
What a deal.

#15    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,593 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

From what I have been hearing, Afghanistan and the U.S. have been talking to the Taliban for years.  I think they are turning into another Hamas or Hezbollah that everyone hates but agrees isn't going away.  Lord knows over a decade of shooting at them hasn't worked.  I have a feeling that this is the prelude to us just making nice to minimize the shooting between us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users