Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Strange Case of Rudolph Fentz

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,825 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

The story:

In 1950, a man with mutton chop sideburns and Victorian-era duds popped up in Times Square. Witnesses said he looked startled, and then a minute later, he was hit by a car and killed.
The officials at the morgue searched his body and found the following items in his pockets:
  • A copper token for a beer worth 5 cents, bearing the name of a saloon, which was unknown, even to older residents of the area
  • A bill for the care of a horse and the washing of a carriage, drawn by a livery stable on Lexington Avenue that was not listed in any address book
  • About 70 dollars in old banknotes
  • Business cards with the name Rudolph Fentz and an address on Fifth Avenue
  • A letter sent to this address, in June 1876 from Philadelphia
None of these objects showed any signs of aging.
Captain Hubert V. Rihm of the Missing Persons Department of NYPD tried using this information to identify the man. He found that the address on Fifth Avenue was part of a business; its current owner did not know Rudolph Fentz. Fentz’s name was not listed in the address book, his fingerprints were not recorded anywhere, and no one had reported him missing.
Rihm continued the investigation and finally found a Rudolph Fentz Jr. in a telephone book of 1939. Rihm spoke to the residents of the apartment building at the listed address who remembered Fentz and described him as a man about 60 years who had worked nearby. After his retirement, he moved to an unknown location in 1940.
Contacting the bank, Rihm was told that Fentz died five years before, but his widow was still alive but lived in Florida. Rihm contacted her and learned that her husband’s father had disappeared in 1876 aged 29. He had left the house for an evening walk and never returned
The facts:

The story was published a number of times in the 70′s and 80′s as fact,  until 2000, after the Spanish magazine ‘Más Allá’ published a representation of the events as a factual report, folklore researcher Chris Aubeck investigated the description to check the veracity. His research led to the conclusion that the people and events of the story invented all were fictional, although he could not find the original source.
Pastor George Murphy claimed in 2002 that the original source was  from either a 1952 Robert Heinlein science fiction anthology, entitled ‘Tomorrow, The Stars’ or the Collier’s magazine from 15 September 1951. The true author was the renowned science fiction writer Jack Finney (1911–1995), and the Fentz episode was part of the short story I’m Scared, which was published in Collier’s first. This meant that the fictional character and the source of the story were finally identified – so everyone thought. No copies of the story have ever been found, and Finney died before he could be questioned.

The Twist

in 2007 a researcher working for the then Berlin News Archive, found a  newspaper story in the archives from April 1951 reporting the story almost as it reported today. This newspaper archive was printed some 5 months before the short story sourced as the origin.  Whats  even odder, a number of researchers have claimed to have found evidence of the real Rudolph Fentz, and proof of his disappearance aged 29 in 1876.

LINK::: http://coolinteresti...f-rudolph-fentz

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,180 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

There've been reports of strange disappearances and subsequent reapparances for a long time.
The one that leaps to mind is from South East Asia, a guard in Malasyia (IIRC) appeared in the capital city shouting about how his city was being attacked, noone believed him and he was locked up for desertion. A week or so later it turns out his city HAD been attacked. It was miles away on another island.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,551 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

...if you're studying history at university with the hopes of being a historian (or even being a really good history student), you're might want to develop a slightly more critical eye for reviewing sources. As in, this story presents none.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph, 04 June 2014 - 03:46 AM.

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,403 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

I would like to add that, even if it could be shown there was a Rudolph Fentz who went missing in 1876 that fact would not validate the story of the re-emergence of the person in 1950.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Based on a work of fiction:

Rudolph Fentz (also spelt as Rudolf Fenz) is the focal character of "I'm Scared", a 1951 science-fiction short story by Jack Finney, which was later reported as an urban legend as if the events had truly happened. The story tells of a man wearing 19th century clothes being hit by a car and killed in New York City in 1950. A subsequent investigation reveals that the man had disappeared without trace in 1876, and the items in his possession appear to reveal that the man had travelled through time from 1876 to 1950 directly.
The story of Rudolph Fentz became one of the more significant urban legends of the 1970s and has been repeated occasionally since; with the spread of the Internet in the 1990s, it has been reported more often as a reproduction of facts and presented as evidence for the existence of (involuntary) time travel.

There's this thing called "Google," see...

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#6    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,606 posts

• Question everything

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 03 June 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

There've been reports of strange disappearances and subsequent reapparances for a long time.
The one that leaps to mind is from South East Asia, a guard in Malasyia (IIRC) appeared in the capital city shouting about how his city was being attacked, noone believed him and he was locked up for desertion. A week or so later it turns out his city HAD been attacked. It was miles away on another island.

You're talking about Gil Perez, and the story's a bit more complicated than that.

http://rumorfriends....on-case-of.html

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#7    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostHarte, on 04 June 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Based on a work of fiction:

There's this thing called "Google," see...

Harte

There's also this thing called "Reading," see...

(from OP)

Pastor George Murphy claimed in 2002 that the original source was  from either a 1952 Robert Heinlein science fiction anthology, entitled ‘Tomorrow, The Stars’ or the Collier’s magazine from 15 September 1951. The true author was the renowned science fiction writer Jack Finney (1911–1995), and the Fentz episode was part of the short story I’m Scared, which was published in Collier’s first. This meant that the fictional character and the source of the story were finally identified – so everyone thought. No copies of the story have ever been found, and Finney died before he could be questioned.

The Twist

in 2007 a researcher working for the then Berlin News Archive, found a  newspaper story in the archives from April 1951 reporting the story almost as it reported today. This newspaper archive was printed some 5 months before the short story sourced as the origin.  Whats  even odder, a number of researchers have claimed to have found evidence of the real Rudolph Fentz, and proof of his disappearance aged 29 in 1876.

#8    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

I have just a leetle trouble with the complete disappearance of an issue of Collier's: it was a widely circulated magazine at the time. Have all the doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms been checked?

#9    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 04 June 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

I have just a leetle trouble with the complete disappearance of an issue of Collier's: it was a widely circulated magazine at the time. Have all the doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms been checked?

Took just a few minutes to find the full issue, complete with Rudolph Fentz (p. 80), online:

http://www.unz.org/P...1sep15?View=PDF

#10    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

So we have the sci-fi story.

Where's the Berlin News Archive story?

This is a load of crap, obviously.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#11    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

View PostEverdred, on 04 June 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Took just a few minutes to find the full issue, complete with Rudolph Fentz (p. 80), online:

http://www.unz.org/P...1sep15?View=PDF

Well done.

#12    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,551 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostHarte, on 05 June 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

So we have the sci-fi story.

Where's the Berlin News Archive story?

This is a load of crap, obviously.

Harte

...The "Berlin New Archive" does not appear to even exist. Hence my first post. :)

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#13    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,825 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

What is the Berlin news archive?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,180 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostLucidElement, on 06 June 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

What is the Berlin news archive?
In 1950? It was probably rubble....

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#15    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,406 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 06 June 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

...The "Berlin New Archive" does not appear to even exist. Hence my first post. :)
--Jaylemurph
You are correct, we do not have an agency here named "Berlin News Archive"  and we do not have a newspaper here named
"Berlin News" or "Berliner News".

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users