Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do Wild Animals Get Drunk On Purpose?

drunk fermented juice wild animals cocktails drugs intoxicating

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,438 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

In South Africa, local legend has it that the elephants like to get drunk. They seek out the marula tree, overindulge on its sweet fruits, and enjoy the intoxicating effects of the slightly fermented juice.

Elephants aren't the only critters accused of indulging in the occasional cocktail or dose of drugs. Tales are told of wallabies getting high on poppy plants in Australia or dogs reportedly becoming addicted to the toxic substance secreted by cane toads. And stories abound of vervet monkeys on the Carribean island of St. Kitts, sneakily imbibing the brightly coloured cocktails of distracted tourists.

http://www.bbc.com/f...mals-take-drugs

Posted Image

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

The picture of the monkey reminds me of the scene in mission impossible where he comes down on the rope lol

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,889 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

These animals may like to get drunk, but we human animals do it best!

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,676 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

I can see the authorities being quite upset because they can not tax them.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,604 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

only socially.   (lol)

I think the robins enjoy eating fermented berries ..  they certainly seem to!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#6    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

"Do wild animals get drunk on purpose".....

Is this some kind of veiled slur against my once in a blue moon weekend ramblings on this site?!

If so....Ok then   B)

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#7    Merissa Elliott

Merissa Elliott

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

Well by golly they sure do! After a long, hard day of casual elephant fights. They all gather around and get boozed up and talk about how Donald Trump stole there land.

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Soon scientists will discover that animals have fun during sex, and don't do it just to 'spread their DNA'....

#9    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,140 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Am wondering if they ever have some 'hair of the dog'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users