Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Atlantis was on Mars?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    AncientLight

AncientLight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

I found this and at least it's a new perspective.  I'm sure most of us here have heard this kind of claims before about the ancient civilizations , but this is a bit new I think.
I would think that any scientist making such claim has to be quite sure of what they're saying as they lose a lot of credibility otherwise :)

http://humansarefree...is-existed.html

#2    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,257 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

Believe me there are many "scientist" making all sorts of claims on a daily basis it seems....

Well i am no scientist,but i read the article and have come to the conclusion that first you need to talk to our resident expert zoser for a topic like this,then just to make sure everything is clear and makes common sense seek out a man by the name of seeder.There now your ready to go   :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#3    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

There is absolutely no useful information in that link.  It does not mention the origin of the alleged scroll nor does it mention any kind of peer review done on the scroll.  The way science works is through peer review.  Long before there are announcements or press releases, discoveries are shared with peers to test and verify the results.  Going straight to the press is not an acceptable behavior in the scientific community so this is probably just another load of pseudo scientific BS.  The fact that this story was covered by both abovetopsecret.com and the Weekly World News should tell the reader much about the veracity of the claims.

The name Dr. Stephan Weisz only shows up in conjunction with this story so I am sure he is a real person.  :P

Edited by sinewave, 04 June 2014 - 05:12 AM.

#4    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,257 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

Well sinewave just gave you a dose of the truth seeder would have gave you,my attempt for my own amusement has been foiled haha.My apologies....

Though i cant promise i wont try again  :unsure2:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#5    AncientLight

AncientLight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

What is wrong with ATS? :)  No the link didn't go in dept but I thought maybe others had heard some more about this or such . I didn't bother to google :P

#6    Kenemet

Kenemet

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

The original source is Weekly World News (which reports, I think, on Batboy) and Before its News, a hoax news site.  See here: http://weeklyworldne...-ancient-egypt/

There is no Egyptologist named "Conrad Vetsch."  The "gathering of scientists" isn't named (conferences have names)

The Egyptian language has been pretty well translated and understood -- well over 20,000 words are known.  Tut's artifacts are particularly well understood (and if you want a good laugh, the Egyptian image there is NOT Tut but is Ahkenaten... in fact, you can see his name and his wife's name very plainly in the picture.)  The "bird" is from 1,000 years after Tut... and the Red Planet was dry and very much as it is today back in the time of Tutankhamen and Ahkenaten.

So... someone picked up an article from a hoax site.  It got spread to several other sites, and you got ahold of a fourth or fifth generation copy.

It's a hoax.  Really.

Edited by Kenemet, 04 June 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,120 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 04 June 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

Believe me there are many "scientist" making all sorts of claims on a daily basis it seems....

Well i am no scientist,but i read the article and have come to the conclusion that first you need to talk to our resident expert zoser for a topic like this,then just to make sure everything is clear and makes common sense seek out a man by the name of seeder.There now your ready to go   :tu:

I wouldnt be recommending zoser, :no:  you know by now how zoseritis affects certain types :lol:

Kenemet and sinewave got there first, job done! :tu:

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

View Postseeder, on 04 June 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

I wouldnt be recommending zoser, :no:  you know by now how zoseritis affects certain types :lol:

Kenemet and sinewave got there first, job done! :tu:

It's a shame,a good time soiled lol!

Jk yesterday was the first day in my short time back things were popping like the old days,you might say it was "vitrified"  :lol:

Edited by CrimsonKing, 04 June 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#9    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,405 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostAncientLight, on 04 June 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

I found this and at least it's a new perspective.  I'm sure most of us here have heard this kind of claims before about the ancient
civilizations , but this is a bit new I think.
Nothing new here, it`s the classic von Däniken style.

I would think that any scientist making such claim has to be quite sure of what they're saying as they lose a lot of credibility
otherwise

First, there is nothing to lose for fictitious individuals and second, there are a lot of ppl out there with scientific education grades
but claiming the wildest rubbish.

And yeah, donation button.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#10    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

I am going to steal a most excellent phrase from Sinewave - one of the best I have ever heard here.

Well, if you're going to go crazy, might as well go all out pants on head crazy!!  :lol: :rofl:

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#11    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,405 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostAncientLight, on 04 June 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

What is wrong with ATS?
You can place an underexposed pic of you left shoe there and claim its an alien. It will then be discussed
from which star constellation it is coming from.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#12    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

• No reason for anyone to get into this conversation unless truly interested....Sometimes i just do things lol   :devil:

#13    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 04 June 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

• No reason for anyone to get into this conversation unless truly interested....Sometimes i just do things lol   :devil:

Keep doing it, I like your sense of humour :D

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#14    Bloodflower

Bloodflower

Poltergeist

• 2,467 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Interesting read thanks.

"When a wolf doesn't want to do something, they look really cute!"
Michelle Paver

#15    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,233 posts