Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Church Group Quotes Hitler on Billboard

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

BIRMINGHAM Ala. (Reuters) - A billboard featuring a quote from Adolf Hitler next to pictures of five smiling children was taken down on Tuesday in the city of Auburn, Alabama at the request of the church group that bought it after the sign drew criticism.

http://news.msn.com/...?ocid=ansnews11

I was almost tempted to put this in the "Jokes and Humor" section. Just, holy crap, what a hilariously stupid move. Godwin's Law certainly didn't take long to poke its head out.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#2    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,272 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,374 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 04 June 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

http://news.msn.com/...?ocid=ansnews11

I was almost tempted to put this in the "Jokes and Humor" section. Just, holy crap, what a hilariously stupid move. Godwin's Law certainly didn't take long to poke its head out.
As I read the article I went from amazed and concerned to confused then sad.  This group seems to do a lot of good in a community that needs it most - they just have a stone deaf PR person working for them.  A shame.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 16,431 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Well, it is Alabama :gun:

#5    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

I think I understood the point, though the message may have been a bit too subtle to grasp for many or most people. But like I always say, when in doubt, don't quote Hitler.

Edited by PlanB, 04 June 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#6    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

This reeks of someone having an agenda with, or within, the church group. There is no possible way in hell (maybe that there is a loophole) to spend money on a billboard that quotes Hitler without some healthy committee discussion or challenge. Somebody was trying to make a point--but what was it, exactly? That no one would notice? That no one would object that a deep South Christian sect would express this thought with Adolf's signature? That forces in today's America are as bad as Hitler's co-opting of the family? That our nation is more fractured than I ever dreamed?

Edited by DeWitz, 04 June 2014 - 08:09 PM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,374 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 June 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

Well, it is Alabama :gun:
Ever been to Alabama or know someone from the state, OverSword?  Because anyone who would intentionally use a Hitler quote would be someone the average citizen of my home state would not care to associate with.  Your comment seems to assume the opposite of Alabamians.  I think it far more likely that the person who did this did so without much consideration - and they probably were under 30 years of age - my guess.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,483 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Stupidity is universal.

#9    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Again, I think the idea was to suggest that either you be a positive influence on children or the evil men of the world will. I don't think there was any other nefarious purpose, it was just executed quite clumsily. And designed poorly. I'm a professional graphic designer, and I bet I could make a Hitler billboard look good. (I hope no one takes that out of context).

#10    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,798 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

My first thought was the Westboro Baptist Church was back in full swing.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#11    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,165 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostPlanB, on 04 June 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

Again, I think the idea was to suggest that either you be a positive influence on children or the evil men of the world will. I don't think there was any other nefarious purpose, it was just executed quite clumsily. And designed poorly. I'm a professional graphic designer, and I bet I could make a Hitler billboard look good. (I hope no one takes that out of context).
I`m sorry but this statement can only be seen in the context that you have a faulty impression of a guy who is responsible for
approx 60M ppl been killed despite the fact that you are claiming to be able to make a Hitler billboard "look good"
or not.

Edited by toast, 06 June 2014 - 05:22 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#12    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,116 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hmmmm ,

This is fitting for this story isn't it?

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

I do not need to say who that was......Just found it fitting is all.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#13    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Ok.... I was assuming they just quoted without knowing who said it. This, however, is whole new levels of stupid.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#14    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

View Posttoast, on 06 June 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

I`m sorry but this statement can only be seen in the context that you have a faulty impression of a guy who is responsible for
approx 60M ppl been killed despite the fact that you are claiming to be able to make a Hitler billboard "look good"
or not.

Yes, I know who Hitler was and did. I get the History Channel. But if I offended, I apologize. I was attempting to make light of the current situation and not of any past atrocities.

#15    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostPlanB, on 06 June 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Yes, I know who Hitler was and did. I get the History Channel. But if I offended, I apologize. I was attempting to make light of the current situation and not of any past atrocities.

John Fogerty, circa 1986: "I know it's true. . .'cause I saw it on TV."

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users