Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Traces of another world found on the Moon

planetary formation earth moon apollo theia

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Traces of another world found on the Moon

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Researchers have found evidence of the world that crashed into the Earth billions of years ago to form the Moon.

Analysis of lunar rock brought back by Apollo astronauts shows traces of the "planet" called Theia.

The researchers claim that their discovery confirms the theory that the Moon was created by just such a cataclysmic collision.

The study has been published in the journal Science.

The accepted theory since the 1980s is that the Moon arose as a result of a collision between the Earth and Theia 4.5bn years ago.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    SaraT

SaraT

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• Just consider me Sherlock Holmes on Marmite.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

It's at least nice to know the name of the planet which struck us.  :/

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,471 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Will Theia come back again?

#4    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

• "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostEldorado, on 06 June 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Will Theia come back again?

It never left !

Theia and the Earth melted together on the impact, and the debris left over became the Moon.

So you might say Theia is part of us all. :tu:

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,689 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Interplanetary billiards. One little tryst between planets and out pops a baby moon.

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,137 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

What a site these collisions in the early solar system must have been.

Another article on this discovery http://www.extremete...opment-lives-on

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#7    Astra00

Astra00

Psychic Spy

• 1,856 posts

• You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostMerc14, on 06 June 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

What a site these collisions in the early solar system must have been.

Another article on this discovery http://www.extremete...opment-lives-on
Yes, imagine what a beautiful and awesome sight it would have been.
I know that we came eons and eons of time and space later....but we are still all apart of the magnificence. :-*

~ Never let anyone define who you are ~

#8    Silent Trinity

Silent Trinity

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• Conspiracy Theorist: Nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

My word the Earth has had a rough trot, makes you wonder how we managed to survive this long given the cosmic warfare going on around throughout the eons....

Posted Image

"That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question and you are on the way to a pertinent answer..."

- Jacob Bronowski

#9    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,505 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostSilent Trinity, on 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

My word the Earth has had a rough trot, makes you wonder how we managed to survive this long given the cosmic warfare going on around throughout the eons....

Humanity has had a few close calls...

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#10    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,137 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostAstra00, on 06 June 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Yes, imagine what a beautiful and awesome sight it would have been.
I know that we came eons and eons of time and space later....but we are still all apart of the magnificence. :-*

Absolutely!  One theory goes that the blast of a Supernova is what would start the accretion of the dust clouds into larger and larger bodies while simultaneously seeding the cloud with the heavy elements necessary for life and planet formation, so as the saying goes, we are all stardust.

View PostSilent Trinity, on 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Without the gas giants playing goalkeeper for us I'd guess we'd have been getting smashed quite a bit more often and we probably woudn't be here!  The Permian extinction, 256 million years ago, was the most destructive extinction in earth's history with 96% of all marine species dying off and nearly as many land animals, including insects also going extinct.

Edited by Merc14, 06 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 June 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Humanity has had a few close calls...
If there was any life on the earth then it was obliterated and had to start over.

Neither Mars nor Venus have at this time much of a magnetic field, and ours has been present steadily ever since the collision that resulted in the moon and probably as a result of the extra heat the earth got in the event.  

One wonders if being such an "almost double planet" originating in such a collision is part of the conditions necessary for billions of years of evolution, both the magnetic field and plate tectonics (although that would also require a source of hydration that as I understand it has not been fully worked out).  If so, life or at least advanced multi-cellular life may well turn out to be extremely rare even if the galaxy is populated by millions of earth size planets circling sun like stars in the Goldilocks zone.  In short we have poor values for many of the elements in the Drake equation, and there may be other variables he didn't think of.

#12    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

This theory sure beats the one that was thrown around a few months ago that our Moon was stolen from Venus. One thing that always puzzled me is how did all the planets form so roundish as they did.  If everything was colliding in various directions, I would have expected a few capsule shapes or box-like shapes.

"The difference is too small," he said. "We don't know how the Moon was formed. What we need are manned missions to the Moon and a search for rocks deeper under the lunar surface, that have not been polluted by meteorite impacts and the solar wind."

Yep - let's send some bull dozers and excavation to the Moon to evaluate the rocks.  Solar powered of course.

Edited by paperdyer, 06 June 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#13    Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Psychic Spy

• 1,332 posts

• "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in." Sir Wearer of Hats

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 06 June 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

This theory sure beats the one that was thrown around a few months ago that our Moon was stolen from Venus. One thing that always puzzled me is how did all the planets form so roundish as they did.  If everything was colliding in various directions, I would have expected a few capsule shapes or box-like shapes.

It is basically because gravity will naturally tend to form a star, planet or moon into a sphere. All planets and moons above 1.500 kilometers in diameter are spheroid.
(Technically the Earth  isn't round, it's an oblate spheroid :innocent: )

http://en.wikipedia....um#Astrophysics

"People will generally accept fact as truth only if the fact agree with what they already believe"
Andy Rooney

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
Albert Einstein

#14    Rhino666

Rhino666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Samples from the moon. It's taken them this long to work it out.!

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostRhino666, on 06 June 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

Samples from the moon. It's taken them this long to work it out.!

Analytical techniques are fare better than they were in the sixties and seventies when the rocks were brought to Earth. It's not really surprising that new discoveries are still being made.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users