Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Past civilizations

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    dakota8595

dakota8595

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Does anyone else besides me believe that on this earth in the past humans may have been more technologically advanced than we are in modern day but it's been hidden? Just a thought

#2    MissJatti

MissJatti

SuperNatural

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

In my opinion, they were not technically advanced in their time,
but when an ancient civilization dies out, so does everything, and it could take a few hundred years for someone else to recreate what was lost.

Posted Image

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,569 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

To answer the OP... I do not believe any past civilization was more technologically advanced than we are today... There would be very telling evidence of it if there had been, and there is nothing...
Now, could there have been a more culturally advanced civilization than ours?... I just saw a whole slew of articles about the Kardasians... So I'm going to say - Yes, absolutely!...

#4    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,092 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostTaun, on 06 June 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I just saw a whole slew of articles about the Kardasians... So I'm going to say - Yes, absolutely!...

I didn't know they had visited Earth in the past!
Posted Image

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#5    Kenemet

Kenemet

Psychic Spy

• 1,929 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

Nope.

Technology evolves, and it takes resources.  You don't just fall out of the trees and invent hi-def television sets.  There's millions of little steps that lead to each end result.

For rapid development, you need a large civilization (lots of minds, lots of resources) and a certain mindset.  Egypt and Sumeria were among the oldest Bronze Age civilizations with large cities and well organized governments and good trade networks.  In contrast, the Native American tribes in North America did not reach this level of technology until fairly late (semi-nomadic, smaller trade networks before 1400 AD.)

Even if you postulate "something other than what we have" you still need large groups and in spite of what the "OMG! HUMANZ WILL VANISH!" tv shows say, a large civilization leaves a lot of traces (modified ground -- cultivated for food, compacted and changed for roads) that can be seen many thousands of years later.

#6    Taun

Taun

• 7,569 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 June 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

I didn't know they had visited Earth in the past!
Posted Image

Sorry... meant to write Kardashians....   The others I could deal with...

#7    MissJatti

MissJatti

SuperNatural

• 1,983 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

i watch an episode of electrics etc etc on the discovery channel many years ago..
i cannot remember the name of the episode, but it talks ago how batteries were used in ancient times
perhaps this could be of interest to all...including OP

http://www.bibliotec...ia_hitech05.htm

Posted Image

#8    Taun

Taun

• 7,569 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostThesillyfunnyguyIDK, on 06 June 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

i watch an episode of electrics etc etc on the discovery channel many years ago..
i cannot remember the name of the episode, but it talks ago how batteries were used in ancient times
perhaps this could be of interest to all...including OP

http://www.bibliotec...ia_hitech05.htm

I've always found the "Baghdad battery" to be very interesting... I've got mixed feelings about what it's use actually was, but I have not ruled out it's being used
to electro-plate gold onto statues (one of the theories I've read)...

#9    MissJatti

MissJatti

SuperNatural

• 1,983 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostTaun, on 06 June 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

I've always found the "Baghdad battery" to be very interesting... I've got mixed feelings about what it's use actually was, but I have not ruled out it's being used
to electro-plate gold onto statues (one of the theories I've read)...

what the discovery channel pointed out that it can produce electric, whether it is use for the purpose or not, did experiments etc or like you said electro-plate..
one thing remains it was technology from ancient times.

I like to pop a question, where did an invention (anywhere/anytime) from ancient times come from, only to disappear for hundreds of years

Posted Image

#10    hellwyr

hellwyr

shadow

• 2,244 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

wrong, on the amricas there were many civilisations which were technologically advanced as farming, housing etc concerned, they just died out and a new culture developed....and as for the native americans they had a wide trading network and a good health system, they had ways to treat sicknesses and had good systems for food... Most of pharma products originate from tribes north and south.. look it up. So they just lacked in warfare and wartechnology as they had a different mindset about warfare. I wouldnt call them technologically behind from egypth in bronze time or even from europeans in colonialtimes, in many areas they were technologically more advanced in other areas they were behind, but not the societies with the highest technologoy  win, the society with the highest warfare experience and wartechnology wins. Also romans and other ancient civilisations had plans for example for steam-engine and proto computers, they just didnt persue them, for they had a good slave system thus there was no need for this kidn of technology and also there was no interest for these kind of things, they were more for entertainment.
In Kreta in the linear alpha culture, they had glass windows and flushing. So there are many examples for technologcally advanced cultures througout history.....Homo sapiens live  on earth since a long long time and maybe there were societies which were technologically more advanced then todays society, but personally I think there are more things than technology and this unspoken thing has been forgotten by todays civilisation, this is also going to be its downfall.

Also another thougth, if some technology is that far advanced will today's humans even be able to recognize it when it is right in front of them..

Edited by hellwyr, 06 June 2014 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

I am never gonna be a roman.

#11    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Check out the Antikytrhera Mechanism from ancient Greece(100BC). Pretty amazing seeing as the equivalent was not constructed again until 1400s
Wikipedia has a good article on it including modern models of the device.

#12    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostThesillyfunnyguyIDK, on 06 June 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

what the discovery channel pointed out that it can produce electric, whether it is use for the purpose or not, did experiments etc or like you said electro-plate..
one thing remains it was technology from ancient times.

I like to pop a question, where did an invention (anywhere/anytime) from ancient times come from, only to disappear for hundreds of years

It is unlikely that the so-called Baghdad battery was indeed a battery. The suggestion that it was a battery is is based on the idea that it was not used as a reconstruction of its contents suggest.

http://en.wikipedia....Baghdad_Battery

The artifacts strongly resemble another type of object with a known purpose – storage vessels for sacred scrolls from nearby Seleucia on the Tigris. Those vessels do not have the outermost clay jar, but are otherwise almost identical.

The electroplating idea is pretty much proven to be wrong as well.

#13    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 06 June 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Check out the Antikytrhera Mechanism from ancient Greece(100BC). Pretty amazing seeing as the equivalent was not constructed again until 1400s
Wikipedia has a good article on it including modern models of the device.
The antikythera device of a complicated gearing system was not made in the European world for over a millennium, but the system of gearing was known to the Arabic world. IIRC, complex devices were built there.

#14    Kenemet

Kenemet

Psychic Spy

• 1,929 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

View Posthellwyr, on 06 June 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

wrong, on the amricas there were many civilisations which were technologically advanced as farming, housing etc concerned,

Very few tribes were able to make use of metals in spite of living in areas with a lot of metal (copper, yes... bronze and iron, no.) Although they started mining copper at the same time that Egypt and the other large civilizations did, they worked it with cold hammering techniques and never developed smelting and forging technology.
http://en.wikipedia....lumbian_America
-and-
http://en.wikipedia....American_mining (and other sources)

They didn't develop road technology like the Romans (which allowed them to move goods more efficiently) and didn't develop wheeled carts or large scale farming.  Their large monuments (mound builders, cities of the Aztecs and Olmecs) start later than the cities of Egypt or India, etc.

#15    stereologist

stereologist

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,189 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

View Postdakota8595, on 06 June 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

Does anyone else besides me believe that on this earth in the past humans may have been more technologically advanced than we are in modern day but it's been hidden? Just a thought

Back onto the OP.

No. There has never been a previous advanced civilization. Of course, there might be a discussion of what advanced means. But, there has been no previously advanced civilization. Nor has there been something like a previous advanced non-human civilization.

Why do I state that? Well, there would be signs left over. Do we ever find ancient wires, metals, ceramics,plastics, rubbers, or anything else suggestive of an advanced civilization? Do we ever find ancient bones? Of course. Do we ever find ancient bones with evidence of plates or rods or screws holding the bones in place? No dinosaur bones or mammal bones or ancient human bones show signs that artificial knees or hips or materials were used to mend breaks. Ancient papyrus are found and so are cuneiform tablets, but no ancient circuit boards. No ancient glass plates are found. No ancient cabling is found.

But that does not mean the ancients were not adept at using their own technologies. I believe the ancients were smarter at dragging stone blocks than we are today IF we had to rely on ropes and no pullys. Why? Because today we have leveraged all of the inventions of the past and continue to do so today. We do not need to restrict ourselves to technologies of the past. Ancient peoples were as smart as we are today. They just had less information to work from than we do today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users