Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Bizarre Shadow in Photos

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    enigma7

enigma7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hello, I suspect I've been dealing with the paranormal for a while now but I won't try to persuade you with stories. While going through old photos on my iPhone I found two photos I don't remember taking and have never seen anything like this. I've come to this forum of skeptics so you all can give me honest feedback, I'd actually be happy for you to tell me it just has something to do with the lighting or there's a simple explanation.. But even if this is a "shadow" of an actual object or just something blocking the lens, the shape and outline make no sense...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by enigma7, 07 June 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#2    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

My 4 am :sleepy:  guess. A photo of door or window frame near the ceiling taken from the floor or bed looking up. And something black in color with hair like a dog or looks more like its fuzzy or fake fur like a blanket or stuffed animal (many possible culprits).

Then there's the Gorilla photo bomber. I hear he's quite the photog. Doesn't quite have the "Selfie" thing down yet though. :no: He tends to frame only unfortunate anatomical parts like his armpit or thigh or forehead.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 07 June 2014 - 09:18 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 June 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

My 4 am :sleepy:  guess. A photo of door or window frame near the ceiling taken from the floor or bed looking up. And something black in color with hair like a dog or looks more like its fuzzy or fake fur like a blanket or stuffed animal (many possible culprits).

Then there's the Gorilla photo bomber. I hear he's quite the photog. Doesn't quite have the "Selfie" thing down yet though. :no: He tends to frame only unfortunate anatomical parts like his armpit or thigh or forehead.

LOL!  First thing I thought was "gorilla armpit"!   Great minds and all.

#4    enigma7

enigma7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

What you're seeing is a mirror, but yes this "thing" expands across the top/ceiling. And I can assure you there was nothing black in color with hair like a dog, or any stuffed animals or furry blankets nearby.

Wish it was a friendly Gorilla, but that's not likely either! If someone can give me a legitimate explanation I'd be more than willing to hear it..

Edited by enigma7, 07 June 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#5    Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hi enigma,

It only appears black because the object is extremely close to the camera lens.  Try taking a pic of an object held up against your phone.  I would say that this is the edge of a blanket that was laying on the phone when the pic was taken.  Or a friendly gorilla :)

#6    MissJatti

MissJatti

SuperNatural

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

hi,... I didnt know Yu Zhenhuan came by your house back in the days

Posted Image

#7    enigma7

enigma7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for responding phantasia, I'm sure you're probably right..  I just find the outline really weird because I know where this was taken and there was nothing fuzzy or furry nearby that would've caused that

View PostThesillyfunnyguyIDK, on 07 June 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

hi,... I didnt know Yu Zhenhuan came by your house back in the days

Haha yep, what can I say he's just fun to party with! :)

#8    MuddyFeet

MuddyFeet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Quick thought. Scroll back up to the pictures and hold up your right hand and angle your pinky to the left in front of the picture. Looks like a right hand to me.

#9    enigma7

enigma7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostMuddyFeet, on 07 June 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Quick thought. Scroll back up to the pictures and hold up your right hand and angle your pinky to the left in front of the picture. Looks like a right hand to me.

Oh good call!! It does look like that... But with the lighting and that much of a hand in the picture it shouldn't have been close enough to show up as black... And what's up with the weird edges? I'm a girl so even if it was a guy with hairy hands or something it still looks weird. Creepy.

#10    Astra.

Astra.

Xanadu

• 3,769 posts

• We are in the cosmos - and the cosmos are in us.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Are those pics upside down? looks like floor tiles on the ceiling. Are you sure it's not your pet...like a dog or a black cat?
Also, it looks like a mirror that reflects the floor tiles....when I turn my PC screen upside down.

Gosh!... the things that I do, since joining this forum :rolleyes: ?

Edited by Astra00, 07 June 2014 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

#11    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,404 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

View Postenigma7, on 07 June 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Hello, I suspect I've been dealing with the paranormal for a while now but I won't try to persuade you with stories. While
going through old photos on my iPhone I found two photos I don't remember taking and have never seen anything like this.
I've come to this forum of skeptics so you all can give me honest feedback, I'd actually be happy for you to tell me it just has
something to do with the lighting or there's a simple explanation.. But even if this is a "shadow" of an actual object or just
something blocking the lens, the shape and outline make no sense...
Nothing paranormal here. Pic rotated for 180°:

Posted Image

Ground tiled with quadratic floortiles. Wooden framed mirror on the wall, reflecting floortiles. Pic taken by accident.
Black object might be something long fibre fabric/wool like a scarf, pullover, jacket or similar. Or a dog/cat.
If you were not totally sloshed at the time the pic was taken you should remember where it was taken and what does
it show.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#12    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Sandersnista

• 6,620 posts

• "Can't deny you're implacted, in the mayhem in my mind. You got me so frustrated, you should be mine!" - Rebecca Black, Person of Interest

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

I have to agree with Muddyfeet, that it looks very clearly like a foreshortened arm and part of a hand - that was my immediate thought when I first saw the pictures. The hair appears longer in the second picture in one small strand, almost more like long head hair, but overall it still looks most like an arm and hand. Unless you are an extremely experienced photographer, and especially using high-quality equipment, it is pretty much impossible for any casual non-expert to discount as "not likely" lighting or focus as a possible explanation that supports an obvious possible source of the image (a hand).

I've shown a photographer friend of my family's numerous strange photos (from orbs to streaks to mist to smoke to odd cemetery lights, dark shapes and shadows, etc.) from my own photos and from here and other places on the net, and though he is a Christian and believer in spiritual things, he has not once ever seen anything he felt was more than an extremely slight possibility of any of them being anything other than a developing or photographic artifact, able to supply 3-7 possible explanations for each. I really felt dumb when he provided so many alternate explanations of things I didn't even know were common photographic anomalies.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#13    Astra.

Astra.

Xanadu

• 3,769 posts

• We are in the cosmos - and the cosmos are in us.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

View Posttoast, on 07 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Ground tiled with quadratic floortiles. Wooden framed mirror on the wall, reflecting floortiles. Pic taken by accident.
Black object might be something long fibre fabric/wool like a scarf, pullover, jacket or similar. Or a dog/cat.
If you were not totally sloshed at the time the pic was taken you should remember where it was taken and what does
it show.
By joves, I think he's got it :tu:

Posted Image

#14    enigma7

enigma7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

View Posttoast, on 07 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

it show.

Nope, the pic isn't upside down that's the ceiling.... The floor was carpeted. Do not own a dog or cat, wasn't sloshed at the time but still don't know what the object is. I've taken pics on accident before but never anything that looks like this. Good try with your theories though!

#15    enigma7

enigma7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 07 June 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

I have to agree with Muddyfeet, that it looks very clearly like a foreshortened arm and part of a hand - that was my immediate thought when I first saw the pictures. The hair appears longer in the second picture in one small strand, almost more like long head hair, but overall it still looks most like an arm and hand. Unless you are an extremely experienced photographer, and especially using high-quality equipment, it is pretty much impossible for any casual non-expert to discount as "not likely" lighting or focus as a possible explanation that supports an obvious possible source of the image (a hand).

I've shown a photographer friend of my family's numerous strange photos (from orbs to streaks to mist to smoke to odd cemetery lights, dark shapes and shadows, etc.) from my own photos and from here and other places on the net, and though he is a Christian and believer in spiritual things, he has not once ever seen anything he felt was more than an extremely slight possibility of any of them being anything other than a developing or photographic artifact, able to supply 3-7 possible explanations for each. I really felt dumb when he provided so many alternate explanations of things I didn't even know were common photographic anomalies.

I'm sure there could be a plausible explanation, I'm just not understanding it.. And yes it very obviously looks like a hand, I hadn't realized that at first but it makes more sense than some article of clothing or blanket being responsible for that shape. Also this is not some sophisticated camera or anything, it's your run of the mill iphone, so understanding the lighting and focus shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who understands these things. (I'm no expert, which is why I've posted here hoping others know more)

Edited by enigma7, 07 June 2014 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users