Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

MIT designs 'Dr Octopus' robotic limbs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Researchers have developed advanced robotic arms similar to those used by Spiderman's nemesis.

Offering the potential to revolutionize the construction and manufacturing industries, the MIT's Supernumerary Robotic Limbs (SRLs) were outlined at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation in Hong Kong this week.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...s-robotic-limbs

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Jyre Cayce

Jyre Cayce

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

Huh. So, well, um, cool? (I'm confused. I cant figure out if this is cool or dumb.)

Edited by Jyre Cayce, 08 June 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#3    Silent Trinity

Silent Trinity

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• Conspiracy Theorist: Nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostJyre Cayce, on 08 June 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

Huh. So, well, um, cool? (I'm confused. I cant figure out if this is cool or dumb.)

Yeah I was kind of watching this with raised eyebrows...It is definitely a nice piece of design and technology work, well done for that.....But then I kind of just thought....why? lol. I am sure it has an application beyond erm...pretending to be a Spider-man villain but I was just a bit baffled as to what it would be lol :no:

Posted Image

"That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question and you are on the way to a pertinent answer..."

- Jacob Bronowski

#4    highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

More profound engineering may come in the next installment where if things go awry, it squirts ink.

#5    DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 22,298 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

I like the idea, but am not sure if the technology is there yet. Might be very useful for those people with missing arms?

Edited by DieChecker, 09 June 2014 - 03:28 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

#7    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,797 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostWhatsinausername, on 09 June 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users